Mod Request

Bosun

I believe the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod allievates this somewhat by significantly dampening physics forces on load.

That mod hasn't been necessary for a very long time. If your craft is properly strutted, physics load will not bother it. If it isn't, well that isn't the games fault.

His post isn't descriptive so I took it to mean when you launch a plane and it sometimes falls onto the runway. It looks like was just venting and doesn't look like he actually wants help.

That mod hasn't been necessary for a very long time. If your craft is properly strutted, physics load will not bother it. If it isn't, well that isn't the games fault.

His post isn't descriptive so I took it to mean when you launch a plane and it sometimes falls onto the runway. It looks like was just venting and doesn't look like he actually wants help.

Not necessary for this yes, but I would say it is still a necessary mod just for the sake of part count.

Third, you can use Launch Stability Enhancer. Without, bigger ships are indeed a bit hard to start, sometimes. Which is why they exist.

And what about the situation where the launchpad explodes under the weight of the contraption alone?

(not a ship, but a "moneymaker" monoprop factory, 28 ISRU units and enough monoprop and ore tanks + gigantors to keep it working dawn to dusk. A 7-ISRU setup works, netting me some 30,000 cash per day, but the 28-one simply collapses the runway (it's too big for the launchpad anyway))

(not a ship, but a "moneymaker" monoprop factory, 28 ISRU units and enough monoprop and ore tanks + gigantors to keep it working dawn to dusk. A 7-ISRU setup works, netting me some 30,000 cash per day, but the 28-one simply collapses the runway (it's too big for the launchpad anyway))

Not really related to the original topic anymore, but I'm curious: how do you actually do this? Regularly launch a vehicle to load up on the fuel and recover that to sell? Or is there another trick to getting that fuel sold? :)

Not really related to the original topic anymore, but I'm curious: how do you actually do this? Regularly launch a vehicle to load up on the fuel and recover that to sell? Or is there another trick to getting that fuel sold? :)

"Launch" as "deploy on the runway"; it's supported by the stability enhancers which are never released (it would collapse under its own weight without them). It's deployed with the ore tanks full and the monoprop tanks empty. An action group deploys all the gigantors and starts the ISRUs in monoprop production mode. Then "Time x1000" warp until sundown and "Recover Vessel" - the ore tanks are empty by then, and the monoprop tanks are full.

Since 1 unit of ore costing 0.02Fund_char.png converts to 2 units of monopropellant each worth 1.2Fund_char.png and the vehicle is "landed at KSC" the recovery rate is 100%, each unit of ore nets me 2.36Fund_char.png at the end of the day, and a 100% return on the investment into the "refinery". I don't remember exactly how many ore tanks and monoprop tanks each ISRU supports, something around 15 monoprop I'd guess; I tuned the number attached to a single ISRU to last a full Kerbin day without actually counting them, and then copied the resulting "tower" enough times to still fit on the launchpad and not exceed the 255 parts limit I was working under at the time. That was the 7-"tower" refinery netting me some 30,000. (and the design had to be vertical, it just broke apart from internal stains when placed horizontally).

Later, after upgrading SPH, VAB and the runway, I copied the 7-tower factory (a line) 4 times for a 4x7 tower grid, and... the runway exploded under its weight.

It's a cheap, cheaty way to produce funds, and it's tedious in the long run, but if you're in a pinch needing that extra 20,000 for completing the latest rocket, it's a good way to get it.

I Honestly dont know what you mean. I've tested it like a thousand times in 1.0.4 and even with struts on every possible proper place they still don't work correctly. Many modders recommend using it still, and the stock strut system is still extremely buggy about placing struts. Idk some people might consider it cheating i guess, but if the stock strut mechanics dont work and cause more frustration than enjoyment... then why not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.