[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

6 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

Are you planning to revamp sstu to utilize the stock texture/model switching?

No.  It is so limited that it is entirely unsuitable for my uses.

Namely you can only have a single set of 'variants' per part -- you cannot have multiple PartVariant modules or whatever they called it (part variant stuff is implemented at the Part class level, and there is only one field for 'current variant').  So, you can swap between a list of meshes and/or textures, but that is it.  I need -multiple- lists of meshes/textures per part, and code to glue it all together in a logical manner.  It also notably does not support diameter/model scaling.  And finally, it requires that all meshes are compiled into the same model -- which I think is pure dirty-ugly-hack territory.

It is actually one of the new features that I'm most disappointed in.  Because now I'm going to have to forever answer questions on why my texture/etc doesn't use the stock icon-based preview stuff.  I would if I could...

Edit:

If I were to use the stock mesh/model switching... SSTU would be limited to having a single diameter of fuel tank per part (so would need a unique part for 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, etc), with no adapter/mount options, and only a single texture-set option.  Also no recoloring or PBR textures.  Pretty much would lose all of the things that make SSTU what it is.

Edited by Shadowmage

3 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

No.  It is so limited that it is entirely unsuitable for my uses.

Namely you can only have a single set of 'variants' per part -- you cannot have multiple PartVariant modules or whatever they called it (part variant stuff is implemented at the Part class level, and there is only one field for 'current variant').  So, you can swap between a list of meshes and/or textures, but that is it.  I need -multiple- lists of meshes/textures per part, and code to glue it all together in a logical manner.  It also notably does not support diameter/model scaling.  And finally, it requires that all meshes are compiled into the same model -- which I think is pure dirty-ugly-hack territory.

It is actually one of the new features that I'm most disappointed in.  Because now I'm going to have to forever answer questions on why my texture/etc doesn't use the stock icon-based preview stuff.  I would if I could...

If you want to go into hacky territory, you could create fake variants and then hook into the click event when switching to a different variant that triggers your own code. I've not dug into it yet though to see how annoying it will be to hook onto that.

3 hours ago, Abpilot said:

What’s news @Shadowmage?

Work... lots and lots of work :)  Have been spending my days the last few weeks learning a new development environment/language/system as part of my new position at work (its a rapid application development framework, more than an actual language), as well as studying up on a few specific database systems that I'll be working with.  So far I'm finding that I'm really not fond of using such limited tools to create programs - being so far removed from the actual code is frustrating - but I can see the intent of it, and can probably learn to use it well in the long run.  Databases are, well... databases.  Gotta have them, gotta know how to use them (or rather, setup and administer them).

Ohh.. you probably meant news on SSTU?  Scroll up a few posts to see the latest (recap: still working on fixing dependencies; at least a few weeks out for an SSTU update).

KSPWheel is mostly working; dust-effects are broken by the update, but the actual wheel bits still work.  Likely 'good enough' for now, can fix up the particle effects later.

TexturesUnlimited is still WIP on the update, but will likely be in a stable state later this week.

After all of that, I can hopefully start to focus more specifically on the SSTU update.  I've made some progress in the last week, but most of my focus has been on getting KSPWheel and TU back to being functional (both because I need them and because other mods rely upon them).

10 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Work... lots and lots of work :)  Have been spending my days the last few weeks learning a new development environment/language/system as part of my new position at work (its a rapid application development framework, more than an actual language), as well as studying up on a few specific database systems that I'll be working with.  So far I'm finding that I'm really not fond of using such limited tools to create programs - being so far removed from the actual code is frustrating - but I can see the intent of it, and can probably learn to use it well in the long run.  Databases are, well... databases.  Gotta have them, gotta know how to use them (or rather, setup and administer them).

Ohh.. you probably meant news on SSTU?  Scroll up a few posts to see the latest (recap: still working on fixing dependencies; at least a few weeks out for an SSTU update).

KSPWheel is mostly working; dust-effects are broken by the update, but the actual wheel bits still work.  Likely 'good enough' for now, can fix up the particle effects later.

TexturesUnlimited is still WIP on the update, but will likely be in a stable state later this week.

After all of that, I can hopefully start to focus more specifically on the SSTU update.  I've made some progress in the last week, but most of my focus has been on getting KSPWheel and TU back to being functional (both because I need them and because other mods rely upon them).

Either way it doesn’t matter what i ment i was just bored and wanted to check my favourite mod...lol i have school and really shouldn’t be doing this in class but what the heck. Also how would i do modeling for a shuttle cockpit in blender? Want to create me own mod for a buran on LCA project. BTW congrats with doing the Enviromental/language/systems.

sstu ksp 1.3.1, for some absurd asinine reason, the sstu ports absolutely REFUSE to latch when making a docking approach.

I just spent the better part of an hour watching the kerffing tantares to sstu adaptor I sent up sit there...FAILING to latch...to be accurate, I decoupled the adaptor, then thought better of it, tried to reconnect so as to transfer some monoprop over to the station..and it point blank refuses to latch.

2 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

sstu ksp 1.3.1, for some absurd asinine reason, the sstu ports absolutely REFUSE to latch when making a docking approach.

I just spent the better part of an hour watching the kerffing tantares to sstu adaptor I sent up sit there...FAILING to latch...to be accurate, I decoupled the adaptor, then thought better of it, tried to reconnect so as to transfer some monoprop over to the station..and it point blank refuses to latch.

You might need to enable the 'angle snap' on both ports.  I don't remember where the parts currently stand on that -- it was supposed to be optional (e.g. can dock without it), but I remember hearing reports that it had to be enabled for those parts to dock properly.

...and of course the adaptor was a complete pita just trying to maneuvor it into position.

I'm trying to field the adaptor so I can bring the orion csm in for docking, I dunno if the docking port on the orion has angle snap options...

question, is there a version of the orion capsule without an sstu docking port built in? everything on the station I'm trying to work with uses tantares docking connections..it'd make life easier.

2 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

question, is there a version of the orion capsule without an sstu docking port built in? everything on the station I'm trying to work with uses tantares docking connections..it'd make life easier.

No.  But if you take a look at @Jimbodiah's and @JoseEduardo's expansion packs/patches for SSTU, I believe one of them has a setup that adds docking-port-less versions of the command pods.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

ok so apparently I can slot another docking port over the sstu port?

Yeah, it has an attach node -- so you can attach anything to it, including another docking port.

a patch, to remove the docking port? isnt that modelled into the craft?

ok, found the docking port code, question? does the 'sc-c - cmx - orbital module' come with its own chutes built in? I dont wanna try removing this part if it doesnt, as the docking port appears to come with chutes.

is it safe to remove the code entries that reference the docking port?

Edited by RaiderMan

3 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

Did you back away from the port before trying to dock? It is necessary if you want to re-dock after undocking. Default distance is 1 meter though it can be changed in the config.

Which port are you using? The 0.625/1.25m standard ports, or the construction ports?

I know that you may have to turn the sensitivity down on the construction ports because stock derps with docking (results in slightly less lined up parts, but it's better than frustratingly banging the two craft together for hours)

I'm using the same size port that matches to the orion capsule.

further, I got some help to try and 'write the part out' via a config patch...

here's the code used:

@PART[SSTU-SC-C-CM]
{
    !MODEL{ !model = SSTUAssets/SC-GEN-DP-1P}

!MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
}

now in theory this should have just removed the docking port from the top of the module, since it is a seperate part, referenced via the config file..
instead it takes the whole capsule away and leaves the docking port.

edit: looked at the two recommended mod authors's packs. neither one of them has pods that omit the docking ports.

Edited by RaiderMan

I recommend you don't do that (it'll work btw, so no incompatibilities there but the docking port-free version will be a seperate part), but you should find the config part you need and modify your own based on what it shows (to get more MM experience)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.