Shadowmage

[WIP][1.3.1] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [10-09-17]

22 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Not to wander off topic but what do you use those for, surgery?? :o

:) accidental, yes. They're specifically made for use in the technique I use for planking ships but also for general modeling work, and if you make a skew blade you make a matching pair. Or at least you do if you don't want to constantly need the other-handed one.

I also do chip carving and made a series of knives for that too.

Spoiler

I establish straight and square vertically and come within a few thousandths of final with the knives, then use pieces of spring steel with dental diamond polishing strips (last forever) attached to finish. As you see it results in a good fit plank to plank.

GHgKZp7.jpg

6UyrGYo.jpg

SQDabLF.jpg

To return to rocketry, here's another cool video that covers the heat shield manufacture in detail, MIT Science Report - Returning from the Moon.

Edited by vossiewulf

Oh and a REALLY interesting episode of MIT Science Reporter that shows the very beginnings of what we're doing here :) EDM: A Magic Slate where honestly-asked questions include "why would you want a computer to draw something on a cathode ray tube?"

Hi together,

first things first: Thumbs up for the latest update. The screenshots here are promising the most amazing and extraordinary things!

Unfortunately i can't get it running :(

Inside the side panel the SSTU Parts are mostly greenish-blue and when i try to construct something inside the VAB the parts plain and simple black. No coloring.

I completely removed SSTU, downloaded and installed SSTU and SSTU-PBR. Redid the hole thing a couple of times - no change :(

Kind regards!

Stock tanks and engines? If so you probably installed the optional patches that removes stock parts. Remove that folder.

26 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Stock tanks and engines? If so you probably installed the optional patches that removes stock parts. Remove that folder.

Sorry I didn't word that very precisely....the SSTU tanks and engines are not showing up.  I don't have the optional patch folder installed.

4 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

I have a weird issue...I installed a fresh 1.3.1 game, and installed SSTU into it along with all my other usual mods.  All the SSTU parts are showing up in the VAB, except for all the engines and tanks.  Output log below, I'm stumped on this one. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y8uXGKSG3KDnoQ44g0n3vHnmm7L1Mcps

From your log file:

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SSTU/Assets/EmptyProxyModel' as model does not exist

You are missing some necessary SSTU files.  This could be caused by an incomplete or incorrect installation.  Would you mind posting pics of your GameData folder?

7 hours ago, kamikazeamoebe said:

Hi together,

first things first: Thumbs up for the latest update. The screenshots here are promising the most amazing and extraordinary things!

Unfortunately i can't get it running :(

Inside the side panel the SSTU Parts are mostly greenish-blue and when i try to construct something inside the VAB the parts plain and simple black. No coloring.

I completely removed SSTU, downloaded and installed SSTU and SSTU-PBR. Redid the hole thing a couple of times - no change :(

Kind regards!

Please post up your KSP.log file (from the same folder as the KSP executable).  It will contain information needed to diagnose your problem.

18 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

Oh and whenever I try to click the SSTU parts together, they suddenly lose their connection nodes and I'm unable to press some stuff. 

(Using 1.2.2 versions of the mod, and playing in 1.2.2)

EDIT: It also does the same thing when I play in 1.3.1

Please upload your KSP.log file (found in the same folder as your KSP executable).  It will contain the information needed to diagnose the problems you are encountering.

Edit:  Think I'm just going to start putting that at the end of every post.  Why is it so hard to follow the directions posted on the front page when trying to get help?  Is it really that hard to find and upload a log file?

Edited by Shadowmage

13 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

That can't be plain steel. It looks like it has some kind of finish on it, that looks more like gray paint than steel, the reflectivity looks like a non-conductive surface.

That's what I'm saying. Harder to recreate.

26 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Edit:  Think I'm just going to start putting that at the end of every post.  Why is it so hard to follow the directions posted on the front page when trying to get help?  Is it really that hard to find and upload a log file?

You should put it right after "when the mod doesn't work, manually remove all of SSTU's mod folders and reinstall the mod" ^^

Edited by Temeter

Yeah, failures like this are always an installation problem.

I had one, recently, and I honestly think I did it right, but clearly I screwed something up and a reinstall of SSTU instantly fixed my issue.

Just now, Temeter said:

That's what I'm saying. Harder to recreate.

Soyuz = medium/high gloss gray paint.

The engine mounts would be orange paint, and silver/chrome.  Is the only place with visible metallic qualities.

Gray used = 128, 128, 128, 171, 0 (rgb/s/m)

IOkZo1G.png

Oh, so it is just paint and not some darker metal. That was too simple I guess xD

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

From your log file:

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SSTU/Assets/EmptyProxyModel' as model does not exist

You are missing some necessary SSTU files.  This could be caused by an incomplete or incorrect installation.  Would you mind posting pics of your GameData folder?

https://imgur.com/a/2z7Nu....includes pics of my gamedata, and the assets folder I downloaded from the github releases for .144 and .145.