[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

• SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Series-E/SC-E-EL/SSTU-SC-E-EL
  • SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Series-E/SC-E-ER/SSTU-SC-E-ER
  • SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Series-E/SC-E-WT/SSTU-SC-E-WT

I would much appreciate that.

Reason:

Edited by Gordon Dry

6 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

• SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Series-E/SC-E-EL/SSTU-SC-E-EL
  • SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Series-E/SC-E-ER/SSTU-SC-E-ER
  • SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Series-E/SC-E-WT/SSTU-SC-E-WT

I would much appreciate that.

Seeing as how it states in the OP that FAR is not supported.... it is not likely; you are really asking in the wrong place.  -I- won't be making them (do not use FAR, not going to take the time to install it just to try to make patches that I have no idea what they do/are for).

From the OP:

FAR - Unsupported.  You are on your own if you choose to use FAR.  Any problems involving FAR needs to be brought up in the FAR thread.

However, if someone who -does- use FAR wanted to submit a PR for some patches, I would more than likely be willing to include them in the releases (I used to have some community provided FAR patches many months ago).

(Hint, hint.... if really you want to see them, its probably best if you make them up yourself)

In career mode (ksp 1.3, latest SSTU with procedural fairings) I'm not able to increase the diameter of any of the fairing bases past 1.5 m. I've unlocked the technology and purchased the upgrade, and in my save file it shows SSTU-FR-D1 and SSTU-FR-D2 = TRUE under the unlocks section, and I'm able to increase the diameter in sandbox mode.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

EDIT: Figured it out, needed Advanced Aerodynamics in addition to the fairing base upgrades (Specialized Construction)

Edited by DocRockwell

27 minutes ago, DocRockwell said:

In career mode (ksp 1.3, latest SSTU with procedural fairings) I'm not able to increase the diameter of any of the fairing bases past 1.5 m. I've unlocked the technology and purchased the upgrade, and in my save file it shows SSTU-FR-D1 and SSTU-FR-D2 = TRUE under the unlocks section, and I'm able to increase the diameter in sandbox mode.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

I just tested this with just SSTU, and it works fine. Maybe PF is messing with it some how?

Just now, tater said:

I just tested this with just SSTU, and it works fine. Maybe PF is messing with it some how?

Yeah, there's two separate upgrades required: Fairing base diameter upgrades in Specialized Construction (2.5 m), Composites (3.75 m), Meta Materials, etc.; and Procedural Fairing upgrades in Advanced Aerodynamics (4 m) and Heavy Aerodyanmics (12 m).

Not sure if this is intended. On the one hand it does keep you from skipping out on aerodynamic tech, but on the other hand it can be kind of confusing as to why the tech isn't being unlocked.

On 15.6.2017 at 10:12 PM, Shadowmage said:

Hint, hint.... if really you want to see them, its probably best if you make them up yourself

I just was in the modd of findout out where to start and found this
https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/wiki/Deriving-FAR-values-for-a-wing-using-Blender-2.7

It starts with the need of installing blender and importing the model. Hmm. I really have to think about this. Installing and importing. Because - well - it's not my models. You know?

Perhapsy perhaps.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I just was in the modd of findout out where to start and found this
https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/wiki/Deriving-FAR-values-for-a-wing-using-Blender-2.7

It starts with the need of installing blender and importing the model. Hmm. I really have to think about this. Installing and importing. Because - well - it's not my models. You know?

Perhapsy perhaps.

That doesn't sound particularly odd to me.  This is KSP modding, after all.

12 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Does this still work with 1.2.2?

The last version for 1.2.2 does.

Look a couple/few pages up, there are some links when someone else asked the same question.

On 6/17/2017 at 3:40 AM, GoldForest said:

@Shadowmage I haven't been following this thread for a while, life, but I'm back now. I wanted to ask if there was any chance of TCA integration or if you're already working on it for the grouped engines?

I was unaware of any problems with TCA (nothing has been reported previously).

Are the engine clusters not working properly with TCA, or is there some other issue?

I think the expectation with TCA is that different engines will be able to throttle to provide torque, which isn't th case within an engine cluster.  I don't really understand how TCA's code works but my guess is that this would require some (non trivial) changes in both SSTU and TCA.  Best bet for now is probably not to use engine clusters.

I made a lander with SSTU and YCA that worked fine. I used clusters of super dracos. It presumably controled each cluster as one engine. If the notion was to make a cluster of 2, say, and set the spacing wide, then yeah, I bet that doesn't work well. I did 4 clusters of 3 on one of them, worked just fine.

First mission to Mars in 1.3.0... My Apollo 13 moment when I needed 2k dV extra on both the ships I sent out. So instead of using the lander to land, I had to use it as a return stage for the main vessel. Ah well, moar boosters I guess.

Spoiler

sstu_mars1_01.jpg
The orbital section during it's initial burn towards Mars.

sstu_mars1_02.jpg
The second vessel holding the Mars lander which would arrive about a week prior to the main vessel.

sstu_mars1_03.jpg
That moment where you remember which part you forgot... the larger dish on your main ship; thank Kod that Jeb was on board.

sstu_mars1_04.jpg
The lander being used as a return stage after discovering I needed 2.000 m/s extra on each ship to get into Mars's orbit, which meant I would not be able to return if I had chosen to land.

sstu_mars1_05.jpg
Lander first stage separated and the lander ascent stage ready to finish the burn. The station would be dumped about 1 day away from earth and after all science had been sent or collected into the command capsule.

Edited by Jimbodiah

2 hours ago, tater said:

I made a lander with SSTU and YCA that worked fine. I used clusters of super dracos. It presumably controled each cluster as one engine. If the notion was to make a cluster of 2, say, and set the spacing wide, then yeah, I bet that doesn't work well. I did 4 clusters of 3 on one of them, worked just fine.

That's what I would expect - TCA would be able to control each cluster (i.e. single part/engine module) individually but not be able to actuate differently within a particular engine cluster.

12 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

I was unaware of any problems with TCA (nothing has been reported previously).

Are the engine clusters not working properly with TCA, or is there some other issue?

Not really a problem, per say, just a... missing feature? I guess you can call it.

There's no problems with either mod, they talk to each other great.

It's just when you have the engine clustered, so say like.... the Saturn V five F-1s. When you have them on one mount and just cluster then, they act like one engine for TCA.

What I'm asking/suggesting is can you make it to where each engine inside the cluster gets TCA controlled.

Here's a picture I made, excuse my artistship lol, to represent what I mean.  

What would be the point though? Optimally you need one engine on each corner to keep the ship balanced, and TCA can throttle those just fine.

The only extra feature on clusters I can think of that would be useful is to switch off engines on ascent (ie Saturn V) to limit thrust when TWR rises.

Here is  lander with a cluster on each end, this works fine in TCA.

sstu_lander_01.jpg

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

What would be the point though? Optimally you need one engine on each corner to keep the ship balanced, and TCA can throttle those just fine.

The only extra feature on clusters I can think of that would be useful is to switch off engines on ascent (ie Saturn V) to limit thrust when TWR rises.

Here is  lander with a cluster on each end, this works fine in TCA.

sstu_lander_01.jpg

You have 4 clusters so TCA sees 4 engines that need controlling. Build a Saturn one or five with one cluster on the bottom of them. TAC sees that cluster as one engine and does not activate thrust controlling to turn the rocket.

And yes there's gimballing on the engines, but I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, Saturn V lowered thrust to one engine to turn the rocket with the F1s.

Edited by GoldForest

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

You have 4 clusters so TCA sees 4 engines that need controlling. Build a Saturn one or five with one cluster on the bottom of them. TAC sees that cluster as one engine and does not activate thrust controlling to turn the rocket.

This is exactly what we said. If I have a Saturn V, I won't be hovering, or landing with it. Regardless, the engines still gimbal, so there is indeed a "right turn," it's just done that way vs via mismatched thrust.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

And yes there's gimballing on the engines, but I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, Saturn V lowered thrust to one engine to turn the rocket with the F1s.

Nope.  Original F-1 did not throttle.  The Soviet N1 did something like that though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.