[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

26 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Btw, the orion service module throws an nullref on spawning (in) vab (otherwise only station modules do):

Interesting...  I added some code there to force-update the pivots on initialization (to prevent rapid tracking on scene-load), and apparently must have missed a null-check.

Added null-check around the part.vessel reference, as that is about the only thing that -could- be null at that stage (and will always be null in the editor, which I forgot about).

Fixed in dev, will be available with the next update.  Thankfully I don't think it is a craft-breaking bug as it occurs after all other module initialization stuff has occurred.

Just now, 19chickens said:

Stupid question-how do you change the diameter on the MFT-A?  It's not overly obvious.

If in sandbox mode -- go into your settings and click the 'apply upgrades in sandbox' checkbox/button. 
If in science or career mode -- purchase the 'tank diameter upgrade' parts from the tech tree.

After one of the above has been done, go into the editor (VAB/SPH), right click on the tank, and there should be buttons to adjust the tank diameter.

The gimballing issue came up in the 1.1.3 update, so it's not confined to 1.2 (but maybe it has gotten even worse, havent really compared yet). I need to tune down gimballing the higher I go into the atmosphere, starting at 100% and going down to around 10% before going into orbit.

PS: Anyone seen this mod? Nice addition to the Shuttle it looks like.

http://spacedock.info/mod/1011/Shuttle Payload Technologies

30 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

The gimballing issue came up in the 1.1.3 update, so it's not confined to 1.2 (but maybe it has gotten even worse, havent really compared yet). I need to tune down gimballing the higher I go into the atmosphere, starting at 100% and going down to around 10% before going into orbit.

I'm not sure KSP had ever really good gimbal. Actually found it to be too lenient to keep crafts on course recently.

Mechjeb seebs a bit more reliable atm, a bit rough, but keeps you on track for the most part.

Heya, quick question. I've been fiddling around with Zero-boiloff tanks lately and as much as I try, on highest warp levels it still boils off although there is enough EC and genration. Or is Zero-boiloff not exactly zero over a long time?

Thanks in advance :)

5 hours ago, dennislee said:

I cannot change size of fuel tank/decoupler at 1.2... help!

If you are in sandbox, you need to check the box to apply all upgrades when you start the Sandbox game under "advanced settings."

For some inexplicable reason this box does;t default to checked in sandbox.

I wonder if it is possible for a mod to default check that box for people?

40 minutes ago, tater said:

If you are in sandbox, you need to check the box to apply all upgrades when you start the Sandbox game under "advanced settings."

Thanks for the solution! Have a nice day bro :D 

25 minutes ago, dennislee said:

1 hour ago, tater said:

How can I go into 'advanced settings"?

29 minutes ago, dennislee said:

How can I go into 'advanced settings"?

He means in difficulty settings. Frankly, those upgrades should always be activated anyway; you are starting with everything researched in sandbox, so why without upgrades?

Edited by Temeter

4 hours ago, Theysen said:

Heya, quick question. I've been fiddling around with Zero-boiloff tanks lately and as much as I try, on highest warp levels it still boils off although there is enough EC and genration. Or is Zero-boiloff not exactly zero over a long time?

Thanks in advance :)

That sounds like a bug that never got put on the tracker -- I seem to remember someone else mentioning it a few weeks/months back.

Have opened a ticket on it, so won't be forgotten again ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues/364 ).

Check for this in your persistent.sfs file (open with notepad etc). It's about 135 lines from the top just before the SCENARIO info starts.

AdvancedParams
		{
			EnableKerbalExperience = False
			ImmediateLevelUp = False
			AllowNegativeCurrency = False
			PressurePartLimits = False
			GPartLimits = False
			GKerbalLimits = False
			KerbalGToleranceMult = 1
			ResourceTransferObeyCrossfeed = False
			ActionGroupsAlways = False
			BuildingImpactDamageMult = 0.05
			PartUpgradesInSandbox = False   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Set this to = True
			PartUpgradesInCareer = True
		}

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

That sounds like a bug that never got put on the tracker -- I seem to remember someone else mentioning it a few weeks/months back.

Have opened a ticket on it, so won't be forgotten again ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues/364 ).

You might wanna talk to Nertea, his mod also has issues with boiloff on high timewarp.

Btw, RCS is done.

48 minutes ago, tater said:

Wow, I didn't realize that you could edit the save's settings---is this new?

I'm fairly sure it was already in 1.1.3 or earlier :D

Edited by Temeter

In case anyone new pops in... some stuff to do with SSTU:

SSTU_Apollo_1.2.png

SSTU%20Soyuz%201.2.png

Both are totally overkill for stock KSP, but can work in rescales :D .

(Now made with "cryo" tanks to not have the pipe---BTW, I moved the ship files, checked to see what parts changed, and it was just the MFT-B, so I did a search and replace on the craft file)

The R-7 wobbled like crazy (gimbal issues). I even installed gravity turn last night to test launches without pilot error getting in the way, and it had issues as well. I should check vs 1.1.3, but it does seem worse to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.