[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

17 minutes ago, DScamp said:

Thanks @Jimbodiah, running 1.3.1 and all the SSTU folders are in the GAMEDATA folder.

Thanks Shadowmage! I have included my .log

KSP.log

Thanks guys!

From your log:

[EXC 21:16:27.334] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
	KSPShaderTools.KSPShaderLoader.load ()
	KSPShaderTools.KSPShaderLoader.ModuleManagerPostLoad ()
	System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
	Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
	System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
	System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
	ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader+<ProcessPatch>d__33.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
	ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
	ModuleManager.<ProcessPatch>d__33:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Something is causing TexturesUnlimited to fail while loading the shaders and adjusting models.  Likely cause is things not being installed correctly.  More specifically, it is likely caused by a missing configuration file for TexturesUnlimited.

You should have a file GameData/000_TexturesUnlimted/GeneralConfiguration.cfg  --- is that file present in your installation?  (actually, I can tell from your log file that it is not present)

Can you show screenshots of the internals of the GameData/000_TexturesUnlimited directory?

In general development news:

Continuing working on the landing legs a bit this week.  Hoping that I'll get the second set of geometry worked out.  Looks like there will be specific sets of landing legs for each type of tank setup -- no way to avoid it while still having the geometry and mechanics be even somewhat realistic.  The points-of-attachment on each of the tank types varies widely between each type of geometry -- the attach points used on the bare LV tanks simply won't work for cylindrical tanks (as they don't exist) -- and vise-versa; the cylindrical attach points don't exist on the LV tanks (either paneled or bare variants).

• Bare Octagonal Tanks -- will use the gear shown previously.  Might also make a 'medium/heavy' version that looks a bit more robust... but the current version looks fine when scaled appropriately for the tanks.
  • Paneled Octagonal Tanks (or other square'ish form-factors) -- will have at least one landing leg variant specifically for these tank variants.
  • Cylindrical Tanks -- will have a third set of landing legs intended specifically for mounting on cylindrical parent parts.
  • Might make more than one variant for some of those setups.  Some might wait for future development -- right now I'm specifically aiming to create landing leg sets for the LV tanks.

Also continuing to work on the ModularPart/ModelDefinition/ModelData systems module rework.  Today saw quite a bit of ripping into the ModelDefinition class and cleaning up its internal handling of various model related parameters.  The ModelDefinition class is the root storage container for any data pertaining to a single config defined 'model definition' -- stuff like height, diameter, volume, cost, attach-node positions, animations, as well as any data specific for the functioning of that model -- solar panel data, RCS and/or engine thrust transforms, fairing positions, and a list of other compatible adapters/models.

The goal is to allow for everything related a single 'model' to be defined in a config file.  The PartModule then loads these model definitions into 'model slots' (nose, upper, core, lower, mount, upper-rcs, lower-rcs, solar-panels) that will allow for choosing of the models for a part in the editor (e.g. the current MFT tanks/other modular parts).

The big change compared to the current setup is that no longer will functions be part-module specific (e.g. you currently need to use the SSTUModularBooster PartModule if you wanted thrust/transforms handled properly for SRBs); rather, all of the functions will be handled in a single PartModule, and the configuration of that PartModule within the Part will determine the specific functions that are enabled and usable for that part (it will be up to the author of that part/models configurations to make sure that all of the config values needed for the functions are specified appropriately).

Probably still a few weeks away from even starting to have anything usable on this branch of the code, but when I get to that point, I'll likely start offering 'alpha' versions to aid in testing of all of the changes and help track down any incorrect configs.

@tater

Would love to see a few more images of those 'upwards' folding landing gear from the first two images you've posted above.  I've looked around a bit, but can't seem to find any better pics of that setup.  Specifically I'm trying to find the attachment points and the deployment mechanisms, which see to be....odd... in those couple of images.

I really seem to remember some landing leg designs like that on some of the early Altair concepts, but for some reason haven't been able to find any in my recent web-searches.

(Yes, I do intend on having at least one of the leg variants that will deploy downwards like that, but have been encountering difficulties in figuring out decent rigging for them)

Sweet looking stuff!

Another question, but luckily this one is more about station building, so is there a way for me to disconnect parts already joined?

I'm thinking that I'll be relocating a PMA on my ISS later, but I hadn't used a coupler on Unity (Node I).

How do you guys approach this aspect?

I'm likely going to have to reinstall this to get it "right" but no biggie, thoughts? Advice?  Thanks all!

9 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

(Yes, I do intend on having at least one of the leg variants that will deploy downwards like that, but have been encountering difficulties in figuring out decent rigging for them)

For the downward rigging why not do it more or less the same as the outwards rigging? so instead of the two bottom struts folding into position, it's the top strut? if I need to I can clarify with a picture

34 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

@tater

Would love to see a few more images of those 'upwards' folding landing gear from the first two images you've posted above.  I've looked around a bit, but can't seem to find any better pics of that setup.  Specifically I'm trying to find the attachment points and the deployment mechanisms, which see to be....odd... in those couple of images.

I really seem to remember some landing leg designs like that on some of the early Altair concepts, but for some reason haven't been able to find any in my recent web-searches.

Just leaving this thought here so I don't forget...

If some legs are not placed as single parts in symmetry, then could one of the legs also then include a ladder? I was thinking that if you ever planned on a ladder anyway, it might be a place to reduce part count---unless the collider of that on the gear would be troublesome.

BXl0X1o.png

North American Rockwell 10-Crew Ceres-Vesta PEM

^^^ from https://william-black.deviantart.com/gallery/

This guy's work is incredible.

Hi Shadowmage, I love the parachutes from this mod that come built in to the pods, especially the auto-cut feature when switching from drogue to mains. Any plans to add a seperate radial parachute part with both drogue and main chutes, as well as the auto-cut feature? I'd much prefer them to the current stock radial parachutes, and it'd do wonders for my part count on some of my bigger crafts.

Thanks,

Qwarkk

1 hour ago, RW-1 said:

Sweet looking stuff!

Another question, but luckily this one is more about station building, so is there a way for me to disconnect parts already joined?

I'm thinking that I'll be relocating a PMA on my ISS later, but I hadn't used a coupler on Unity (Node I).

How do you guys approach this aspect?

I'm likely going to have to reinstall this to get it "right" but no biggie, thoughts? Advice?  Thanks all!

Not through SSTU alone -- but I believe KIS allows for separation of already joined parts, as well as then adding docking ports to where they were separated (standard or welding ports).

Now, I'm not 100% sure that KIS works properly with SSTU's modular parts due to its reliance on prefab-part information.... but as far as I'm aware that is the only option.

45 minutes ago, Qwarkk said:

Hi Shadowmage, I love the parachutes from this mod that come built in to the pods, especially the auto-cut feature when switching from drogue to mains. Any plans to add a seperate radial parachute part with both drogue and main chutes, as well as the auto-cut feature? I'd much prefer them to the current stock radial parachutes, and it'd do wonders for my part count on some of my bigger crafts.

Thanks,

Qwarkk

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues/631

See the link for details.  Basically yes, it is planned.  Going to be awhile though; likely sometime after KSP 1.4 is out.

1 hour ago, tater said:

If some legs are not placed as single parts in symmetry, then could one of the legs also then include a ladder? I was thinking that if you ever planned on a ladder anyway, it might be a place to reduce part count---unless the collider of that on the gear would be troublesome.

Yes and no.  Yes, it could be included.  No, I have no plans on including them -- as their use (positioning/etc) is very lander-design specific, and the legs are not intended for any single specific lander layout.

Nothing to stop others from making landing leg quads with built in ladders though.

1 hour ago, tater said:

I'll have a look. Would you prefer them posted here, or on github?

Hmm... should probably post them to Github to keep it all in one place and easy to reference.  I'll create a specific issue-ticket for the new lander leg parts....

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues/652

7 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Something is causing TexturesUnlimited to fail while loading the shaders and adjusting models.  Likely cause is things not being installed correctly.  More specifically, it is likely caused by a missing configuration file for TexturesUnlimited.

You should have a file GameData/000_TexturesUnlimted/GeneralConfiguration.cfg  --- is that file present in your installation?  (actually, I can tell from your log file that it is not present)

Can you show screenshots of the internals of the GameData/000_TexturesUnlimited directory?

It is missing from the zip file from the update on github...This is weird. I've downloaded it three times. Could it be that Windows user permissions are doing something funky when I dload it?

QVUkX1W.jpg

1 hour ago, DScamp said:

It is missing from the zip file from the update on github...This is weird.

That is quite weird.  It is definitely present on the .zip in my dev repo.  D/L'ng the github copy now to check in case something went wrong there....

(I really couldn't see there being any permissions-related problems with specific files)

In the mean-time, you can grab the TU release right from its repo/releases page:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/releases/tag/1.0.0.6

Edit:  The release on github looks fine when I download it:

FDVID0u.png

Edited by Shadowmage

12 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Not through SSTU alone -- but I believe KIS allows for separation of already joined parts, as well as then adding docking ports to where they were separated (standard or welding ports).

Now, I'm not 100% sure that KIS works properly with SSTU's modular parts due to its reliance on prefab-part information.... but as far as I'm aware that is the only option.

No worries, I figured it is my own fault, while napping (in which I do my best thinking, just kidding), I figured I must plan my modules better, now that there are more complexities to contend with, such as having each PMA with a CBM on the nodes, (I mean in real life there's a door on the node to the PMA, so ...)  :)

14 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Actually did some testing on this last night.

The good news is that KIS works great for moving SSTU parts that are already 'real' (e.g. in the world).  They can be detached, moved, re-attached, and it all works properly (from what I tested). 

The only bit of incompatibility I found ws when trying to -store- one of the SSTU modular parts in a KIS container -- the stored volume is incorrect as it relies on the prefab part.  Bbut I'm mostly okay with that situation -- I can't think of a realistic scenario where one would need to store one of the fuel tanks.

Now KIS's lack of handling for scaled wheel parts in KF is a bit more troublesome... but nothing I can do about that either.

30 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Actually did some testing on this last night.

The good news is that KIS works great for moving SSTU parts that are already 'real' (e.g. in the world).  They can be detached, moved, re-attached, and it all works properly (from what I tested). 

The only bit of incompatibility I found ws when trying to -store- one of the SSTU modular parts in a KIS container -- the stored volume is incorrect as it relies on the prefab part.  Bbut I'm mostly okay with that situation -- I can't think of a realistic scenario where one would need to store one of the fuel tanks.

Now KIS's lack of handling for scaled wheel parts in KF is a bit more troublesome... but nothing I can do about that either.

Interesting ... might still be good for tweaking in orbit ...

You do what you can, and it's good enough  :)

16 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

That is quite weird.  It is definitely present on the .zip in my dev repo.  D/L'ng the github copy now to check in case something went wrong there....

(I really couldn't see there being any permissions-related problems with specific files)

In the mean-time, you can grab the TU release right from its repo/releases page:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/releases/tag/1.0.0.6

Edit:  The release on github looks fine when I download it:

FDVID0u.png

Got it. Thank you so much! Working perfectly.

Another random image for inspiration:

1280px-Mars_Food_Production_-_Bisected.j

Note that the "landing legs" on these habs are "quads." Much of the structure on something like the cradles shown could clip, and hence the part could be scalable and generic.

Also, aside from the translucent part, that COS part I could replicate exactly in SSTU right now :D

Edited by tater

5 hours ago, tater said:

Another random image for inspiration:

1280px-Mars_Food_Production_-_Bisected.j

Note that the "landing legs" on these habs are "quads." Much of the structure on something like the cradles shown could clip, and hence the part could be scalable and generic.

Also, aside from the translucent part, that COS part I could replicate exactly in SSTU right now :D

Doesn't MKS or one of RoverDudes mods have legs exactly like those?

1 minute ago, wile1411 said:

Doesn't MKS or one of RoverDudes mods have legs exactly like those?

Dunno. Given that the current SSTU test leg is 4 legs as a part, though, It occurred to me that such a system solves many problems with getting legs on things like COS modules, or other curved surfaces when used horizontally.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Dunno. Given that the current SSTU test leg is 4 legs as a part, though, It occurred to me that such a system solves many problems with getting legs on things like COS modules, or other curved surfaces when used horizontally.

Found a picky of the cradle from MKS.

vI8FEvu.jpg

The legs are adjustable in height

QG5T3JW.png

Edited by wile1411

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.