[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

22 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Not to wander off topic but what do you use those for, surgery?? :o

:) accidental, yes. They're specifically made for use in the technique I use for planking ships but also for general modeling work, and if you make a skew blade you make a matching pair. Or at least you do if you don't want to constantly need the other-handed one.

I also do chip carving and made a series of knives for that too.

Spoiler

I establish straight and square vertically and come within a few thousandths of final with the knives, then use pieces of spring steel with dental diamond polishing strips (last forever) attached to finish. As you see it results in a good fit plank to plank.

GHgKZp7.jpg

6UyrGYo.jpg

SQDabLF.jpg

To return to rocketry, here's another cool video that covers the heat shield manufacture in detail, MIT Science Report - Returning from the Moon.

Edited by vossiewulf

Hi together,

first things first: Thumbs up for the latest update. The screenshots here are promising the most amazing and extraordinary things!

Unfortunately i can't get it running :(

Inside the side panel the SSTU Parts are mostly greenish-blue and when i try to construct something inside the VAB the parts plain and simple black. No coloring.

I completely removed SSTU, downloaded and installed SSTU and SSTU-PBR. Redid the hole thing a couple of times - no change :(

Kind regards!

26 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Stock tanks and engines? If so you probably installed the optional patches that removes stock parts. Remove that folder.

Sorry I didn't word that very precisely....the SSTU tanks and engines are not showing up.  I don't have the optional patch folder installed.

4 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

I have a weird issue...I installed a fresh 1.3.1 game, and installed SSTU into it along with all my other usual mods.  All the SSTU parts are showing up in the VAB, except for all the engines and tanks.  Output log below, I'm stumped on this one. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y8uXGKSG3KDnoQ44g0n3vHnmm7L1Mcps

From your log file:

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SSTU/Assets/EmptyProxyModel' as model does not exist

You are missing some necessary SSTU files.  This could be caused by an incomplete or incorrect installation.  Would you mind posting pics of your GameData folder?

7 hours ago, kamikazeamoebe said:

Hi together,

first things first: Thumbs up for the latest update. The screenshots here are promising the most amazing and extraordinary things!

Unfortunately i can't get it running :(

Inside the side panel the SSTU Parts are mostly greenish-blue and when i try to construct something inside the VAB the parts plain and simple black. No coloring.

I completely removed SSTU, downloaded and installed SSTU and SSTU-PBR. Redid the hole thing a couple of times - no change :(

Kind regards!

Please post up your KSP.log file (from the same folder as the KSP executable).  It will contain information needed to diagnose your problem.

18 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

Oh and whenever I try to click the SSTU parts together, they suddenly lose their connection nodes and I'm unable to press some stuff. 

(Using 1.2.2 versions of the mod, and playing in 1.2.2)

EDIT: It also does the same thing when I play in 1.3.1

Please upload your KSP.log file (found in the same folder as your KSP executable).  It will contain the information needed to diagnose the problems you are encountering.

Edit:  Think I'm just going to start putting that at the end of every post.  Why is it so hard to follow the directions posted on the front page when trying to get help?  Is it really that hard to find and upload a log file?

Edited by Shadowmage

13 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

That can't be plain steel. It looks like it has some kind of finish on it, that looks more like gray paint than steel, the reflectivity looks like a non-conductive surface.

That's what I'm saying. Harder to recreate.

26 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Edit:  Think I'm just going to start putting that at the end of every post.  Why is it so hard to follow the directions posted on the front page when trying to get help?  Is it really that hard to find and upload a log file?

You should put it right after "when the mod doesn't work, manually remove all of SSTU's mod folders and reinstall the mod" ^^

Edited by Temeter

Just now, Temeter said:

That's what I'm saying. Harder to recreate.

Soyuz = medium/high gloss gray paint.

The engine mounts would be orange paint, and silver/chrome.  Is the only place with visible metallic qualities.

Gray used = 128, 128, 128, 171, 0 (rgb/s/m)

IOkZo1G.png

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

From your log file:

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SSTU/Assets/EmptyProxyModel' as model does not exist

You are missing some necessary SSTU files.  This could be caused by an incomplete or incorrect installation.  Would you mind posting pics of your GameData folder?

https://imgur.com/a/2z7Nu....includes pics of my gamedata, and the assets folder I downloaded from the github releases for .144 and .145.  

Edit- I downloaded the master and am gonna copy the assets folder into my install.  Will report back. 

Edited by jdub3350

16 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

EDIT: are there only 6 fuel tanks?

As others have already replied -- SSTU uses a 'modular part' setup for its 'common' parts.  They are all resizable and have various adapter options.

There should be:

MFT-A (Kerolox, Hydrolox, Cryo, Framed) (4 variants, 16 lengths each = 64 fuel tanks)
MFT-D (Soyuz) (1 variant, 4 lengths = 4 fuel tanks)
MFT-S (Spherical/Framed) (2 variants, 4 lengths each = 8 fuel tanks)
MFT-R (Radial, stock models) (3 variants, 1 length each = 3 fuel tanks)
MFT-LV (Octagonal, lander tank) (8 variants, 5 lengths each = 40 fuel tanks)

So that should give ~119 fuel tank models for each possible diameter (of which there are several hundred options).  They should all also have multiple texture set options, most with recoloring support.  All told, SSTU probably has thousands of possible fuel tank configurations with just the main model+top+bottom adapter support.  Include the multiple diameters, and nearly limitless recoloring capability, and I would guess the possible permutations easily range into the billions (256 colors x 4 channels x 3 sections = 201,326,592 possible color variations per recolorable model, and some parts have ~3+ recolorable models in them).

(I would dare anyone to try and find another mod that has as much configurability and options with its parts... go ahead and look...  I'll wait........*crickets*)

Quick PBR pass over the docking ports... nothing fancy, almost a direct conversion of existing assets.

yffdmSO.png

'fixed' the coloring on the red heat-shield.  Still not entirely happy with it, likely going to adjust the honeycomb mesh a bit to be a bit darker.  Apparently SP decided it wanted to keep reverting the colors on me every time I was updating the material out of SD.

rW3TDlW.png

Note that I'm still working on the base materials for these.  There will be some small bits of wear/damage/etc added to them before I call the fully finished.

Hoping to push out an updated release later today with the weeks' progress in it.  Lots of cleanup, a few fixes, and updated solar-panel shaders.  Just have a couple of bugs to try and track down and squash in TexturesUnlimited before it is all ready.

8 minutes ago, jdub3350 said:

https://imgur.com/a/2z7Nu....includes pics of my gamedata, and the assets folder I downloaded from the github releases for .144 and .145.  

Edit- I downloaded the master and am gonna copy the assets folder into my install.  Will report back. 

Yeah, it looks like there are some files missing from you .145 .zip.  I have confirmed that they exist in the .zip file as downloaded directly from github.

The .145 release should contain the same files at the top as in the SS of your .144 release. (DEBUG_MODEL.mu, EmptyProxyModel.mu, IVA-ExtrakerbalSeat1.mu)

Downloading the master branch may present problems, as there are some folders in there that are not intended for general use (the optional patches and SSTU-TextureSets folder).  Aside from that, it should mostly work.

It might be an interesting exercise to figure out the number of possible tank combinations even only assuming stock, or stock-alike (some larger diameters at the usual intervals) sizes.

That’d be something like 24 tanks times all the mount options.

guessing low on the mounts and nose options, and not counting recoloring, we’re on the order of 3 million combinations of 24 tanks (6 diameters at 4 lengths allowed each, like stock).

LOL

That’s building a thing of those 24 tanks.

If you wish to pick a single tank, it’s only 5-6000 choices. Only, lol. I need to actually count noses and mounts.

Edited by tater

I grossly underestimated the number of mounts.

I assumed 12-15. I just counted 67.

Can that be right?

That’s 4489 combinations per tank. So even limited to just stock tank dia length combos, which is 12 rocket tanks, that gives 53,868 options for this same 12 parts in SSTU.

Thats just the mft-a tank.

@tater  Nope, not even close

Just the MFT-A:

stock sizes 0.625, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5m  (6)
variants  kerolox, hydrolox, cryo, frame  (4)
lengths  0.5, 1.0, 1.5 ... 8.0  (16)
64 cap  options
64 mount options

4x6x16x64x64 = 1572864 stock-sized variations.

This not counting coloring, the fact you can set the diameter in 0.05m steps or fine tune the length with the V-Scale slider.

Darn it! Now Mage's ego will be even more inflated :wink:  :sticktongue:

Edited by Jimbodiah

@tater@Jimbodiah

Don't forget that you could (potentially) count different fuel types as different tank variants as well.

Depending on exactly how you count those, that could mean multiplying the final fuel tank number by x4 (for just the stock resources LFO, MP, LF, Xenon), or by several thousand more (if you count the 'ConfigureContainers' option along with all the mod added resources).

I gave up trying to count when it easily hit into the mutiple-thousands even when trying to only count major variants.  All those mounts/adapters/nosecones really increase the variant count.

I assume the scale on that in KSP would be smaller in dis than our 2.5m COS parts.

Maybe 1.875-ish on the crew pressure vessel?

I know this is outside of "real" (including concept) craft, but I like the idea of some novel sizes/shapes of things for messing with, well, novel concepts.

That lander is clearly a single shape. It has elements of the Soyuz orbital module, but also the bell snap of the reentry capsule.

It's like a larger Shenzhou in shape.

bf4ba2025b40aecb5448ea0d92b5c197.jpg

A simple cylinder station part at 1.875m that has a hatch (3 kerbals?) could have a nose adapter to a docking port, and you get the above lander (assuming it has no downward window on the other side). Put a window opposite the hatch just in case, lol. Slap a MHS on it, and use a docking port with chutes, and it's a reentry module.

Got a cup-a-joe here and watching the Punisher, in aticipation of the new release :wink:

@tater  Mage once showed some examples of the soyuz SM with an inflatable hab.

NB: I just installed blender and am still trying to figure out how to rotate the view without removing the parts. Not exactly intuitive :)  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.