[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

16 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be sticking around KSP much longer.  Take Two has done everything that they can to make modding a giant PITA.  They already killed the experimentals team long ago, and now they have dropped doing public (or even semi-public) pre-release test versions.  No updated modding information, no updated PartTools.  Half-baked stock implementations of texture and mesh switching.  Its like they don't want me to make mods at all.

I'm going to try and get a KSP 1.4 version working of the old legacy codebase, but I think that will be the last update that I do.  So sadly, no reworked part-modules or models (or any of the stuff I've spent the past few months working on), as I would have to put in at least a few more weeks/months effort to get it working.  Going to give it a few more days of mulling it over, but it is not looking good.

Oh really, it's that bad? That sucks :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SSTU = KSP.... I'm never playing KSP without it.

I can understand your frustration though. Even as a non-modder I have put question marks at the way squad is running things. When I saw that half-assed attempt at texture switching I was already like :huh:  But there is next to zero improvement to gameplay with this new release, at least I don't see it in the test I have running or in the release notes. Just more of the garbage localization so we can see that polish translation update 10 times a day on SpaceDock. There have been zero efforts by squad to improve their game, and reading about the new eula in regards to mods, I doubt this game will have a long lifespan after 1.4

Heck 1.4.1 is already announced with that DLC. My bet is they are going for the cashgrab now with EOL coming in the near future.

Best game on the planet when SSTU is installed, I am making so many backups of 1.3.1 and all the mods.

I wish I could change your mind, Mage, but if you need to find reasons to motivate you to keep going, I doubt it will last long. I absolutely love what you have done for this game. So whichever way you go, I would like to give a big THANK YOU for making my life that much more enjoyable!

Hail Mage!

Maybe @Shadowmage, @sarbian, @Nertea, @raidernick, @RoverDude  and some others should put their minds in one basket and come up with an alternative to KSP.

RSS, RO, SSTU, NearFuture, LifeSupport, Scatterer, EVE, Mechjeb, proper heat mechanics; all integrated into the game. My shorts are not safe just from the idea of what could come of this.

Hey, at least let me dream.

54 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be sticking around KSP much longer.  Take Two has done everything that they can to make modding a giant PITA.  They already killed the experimentals team long ago, and now they have dropped doing public (or even semi-public) pre-release test versions.  No updated modding information, no updated PartTools.  Half-baked stock implementations of texture and mesh switching.  Its like they don't want me to make mods at all.

I'm going to try and get a KSP 1.4 version working of the old legacy codebase, but I think that will be the last update that I do.  So sadly, no reworked part-modules or models (or any of the stuff I've spent the past few months working on), as I would have to put in at least a few more weeks/months effort to get it working.  Going to give it a few more days of mulling it over, but it is not looking good.

let me just take the time to compliment you on a well made mod, and believe me, half the stuff I do of late isnt possible without it..

on the subject of the eula...there has been much discussion, and it doesnt really look all that much more different than the old one.

on the subject of you departing...please, we beg of you..dont go. too many people will miss you, too many crafts wont get built or flown...

27 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Maybe @Shadowmage, @sarbian, @Nertea, @raidernick, @RoverDude  and some others should put their minds in one basket and come up with an alternative to KSP.

RSS, RO, SSTU, NearFuture, LifeSupport, Scatterer, EVE, Mechjeb, proper heat mechanics; all integrated into the game. My shorts are not safe just from the idea of what could come of this.

Hey, at least let me dream.

@Shadowmage is entitled to his opinion but personally I think that saying that T2 is trying to make modding a PITA is going overboard. It's not the first time (by far) that we do not have a PartTool ready for the release day. And while I loved having some time to get ready with early access and pre release it just means that users will have to learn that we too have lives and mods don't get upgraded by magic.

As for this specific upgrade it  took me less than 60min for the lot, except for SmokeScreen where it will require a bit more work and that was to be expected with the particle system change.

And I'm sure a few people laughed when they saw your dream team. I sure did. 

Edited by sarbian

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

I can understand your frustration though. Even as a non-modder I have put question marks at the way squad is running things. 

You're free to say what you want, but as a long time modder of many games over many years, KSP is one of the easiest games to mod that I've ever seen. Certainly there's been a few things that I would have liked to be different but for the most part, Squad has been very accommodating in opening up to us. But I think it also depends on how they're approached. A lot of people on these forums have a very antagonistic approach Re: Squad/KSP and that can't make for a very good working relationship when you're trying to get things changed/added/included.

People are free to say what they want I guess and free to form their opinions or take their balls and go home and they'll always remember this day as the day that KSP died for them, but for me it's just Wednesday and I guess it's time to start updating. (especially since I'm way behind on certain things that need updating. Time to tackle RF thermal I guess)

Man, and for a second I was worried Squad had just crippled modding (after telling a lot of people they sould stop worrying about the EULA^^')

I guess things look a lot different from the perspective of a modder, when you gotta carry around mods on the crazy scale of SSTU. Well, gotta know what's best and fun for yourself, or where it becomes work.

Whatever you do about modding, Shadowmage, thanks a lot for sharing all of that awesome work with us! Brought me a excrementsload of fun back to KSP, when was tired after hundreds of hours with the 'normal' stuff. And to think I basically just tried SSTU to get some historical engines for RO, thinking it was mostly an engine collection or so^^

Edited by Temeter

Really hope that SSTU can carry on but obviously you and your personal life should come first, no point in doing something that you don't enjoy any more. 

Thank you sincerely for all the work you've done so far and enhancing the game as much as you already have. 

I truly hope you can find a way to continue modding KSP, just can't imaging playing without SSTU and Textures Unlimited, you made a great game even greater.

I hope you go well in your future endeavours in modding in the future :)

I hope we can see what your next mod will be for whatever game, (or optimistically, a brand new game :o) as you have some serious talent and skill!

Edited by T-10a

20 hours ago, sarbian said:

personally I think that saying that T2 is trying to make modding a PITA is going overboard.

You're not wrong... over-reacting is one of my specialties.

19 hours ago, taniwha said:

I'd like to chime in that, aside from skinned meshes and bones, PartTool is overrated.

I use that constantly for examining models (importing to blender), but I've never tried it for direct export.  Does it properly handle the differences in transform orientation/respect transform orientation in models? (e.g. Z+ and Y+ are unchanged in the exports?)  And how does it handle multiple transforms with the same name? (needed by many plugins, but impossible to do in Blender)  

(I abhor having to use the Unity editor for anything, and every chance I can get to not be forced to use it is a big win in my eyes)

21 hours ago, Temeter said:

Oh really, it's that bad? That sucks

Yes and no.  I'm fairly certain that I could recompile my existing plugins vs. the new KSP codebase fairly quickly, but that is not what I'm displeased about (it is what they are doing, and more specifically how they have implemented it.

I think mostly the statement that I was trying to make is that they have dropped the community driven aspects of their updates and releases.  No chance to report bugs, no chance to get things changed if modding functions were broken.  I used to be able to actually talk to the devs

The other part of my statement is regarding their additions to stock code for the mesh/texture switch.  Rather than designing a system that could be used by others and in a decently complex manner, they've added all of the part-variant stuff directly to the Part class.  Rather than design a modular system that modders could use and expand upon, they've designed a proprietary system that will only be usable for very limited purposes.  I haven't even checked to see if it interferes with my existing code/methods.  Ohh, and they decided to bake it into the entire Part system, including the editor icons.  So how can I use the stock part variant system for my modular parts?  Oh, wait, I can't....  I can't use their UI, I can't use their icon-based previews...  More and more they are relegating mods to 'second class' status.  (You know what kind of crazy stuff I could do if I could manipulate the Part class?.... no?  neither do I... mods can't add stuff to the Part class, or even provide derived classes; 100% certain I could solve my dynamic run-time part-module switching problems if I could override the Part class and/or had more hooks into it/could override methods).

Someone obviously put quite a bit of thought and effort into the system.  It looks good for their limited purposes.  I was just hoping being delusional that they would have made a system that could be used by others, and for more than just very simple model changes.

Anyhow, there will be at least one more SSTU release to make it usable for KSP 1.4+.  Still not sure exactly what all will be in it, and regardless it is going to be at least a few weeks out.  I won't even be able to start looking at it for at least another week, plus however long it takes to actually do the update/finish the reworked code.  And before I can even start back in on SSTU, I need to update and push out versions of TU, KSPWheel, KF, and a few other small mods/utilities first (which will likely happen sometime after 1.4.1).

(had meant to post a reply yesterday, but the forums were broken for me for a large portion of the day)

Just want to say that for me, KSP is mods. Without mods, I would not have bought the game or be playing it still today. 

It took me a very long time to try SSTU, because I was worried that it wasn't complete enough or that it would change too rapidly for me. Now I don't think I can play without it either. 

With KSP I feel like I'm always waiting for a few more things to come together before the game is truly "stable" for me. Every save I run into something that turns me off; the first time I learned how bad framerates can get, for instance, or game-breaking bugs in mods with authors who have taken a break or who are otherwise unwilling to hunt down specific bugs. I'm always waiting for KSP to be "exactly what I want it to be". 

I won't hold it against anyone if they get burnt out on modding; it's such a thankless job. It's so much work that takes away from gaming time, family time, relaxation time, etc. I've donated more money to mod authors than I've spent on KSP. 

Anyway all this rambling is just me saying thank you to all mod authors who've given me literally thousands of hours of time-wasting, work-avoiding, sleep-reducing fun. If you decide to leave, I'll just say thank you for all you've sacrificed for my fun, and I will never hold it against you.

I mean, from a bit of an outsider perspective... is that, in the end, really much of a problem? I mean, if Squad would stop updating the game, or at least slow down a lot?

Felt to me for a while, as if KSP is slowing down the updates (they obviously still did important stuff like the Unity upgrade and some content). Seems like there is less dev time spent on KSP updates, or at least more devs rather working on the DLC at this point.

Sure it's a very contentious matter if KSP is ever really 'done'; I honestly feel you could probably upgrade/develope the game for all eternity and it would still feel janky in a bunch of regards. From what you write, that seems even moreso true for modders who want to get the most out of the games functionality.

But would that really be a dealbreaker if Squad just stopped or heavily slowed down updates?

Hello one of my very important ships is not loading, when I look at the log files it constantly says

[EXC 21:01:55.787] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FlightCamera.UpdateCameraTransform ()
    FlightCamera.LateUpdate ()

your post is the only reference on the internet that come up with "FlightCamera", can anyone please tell me what is happening?

On 4/29/2016 at 10:15 PM, MacLuky said:

Also ran in the docking issue. Launched two soyuz couple of days apart and docked them caused the system to go haywire. Saw this in the log, could be a KJR issue:

[LOG 21:10:35.579] Docking to vessel Mercury 4
[LOG 21:10:35.582] [Progress Node Reached]: StationConstruction
[LOG 21:10:35.584] [Progress Node Complete]: StationConstruction
[LOG 21:10:35.587] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 21:10:35.587] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 21:10:35.587] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 1.5 Reputation taken, yields 0.6158295 Science
[LOG 21:10:35.587] Added 5.9976 (6) reputation: 'Progression'.
[LOG 21:10:35.587] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 1.5 Reputation taken, yields 0.6158295 Science
[LOG 21:10:35.589] [Progress Node Reached]: Docking
[LOG 21:10:35.589] [Progress Node Complete]: Docking
[LOG 21:10:35.589] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 21:10:35.589] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0.25 Reputation taken, yields 0.1026382 Science
[LOG 21:10:35.589] Added 0.9995893 (1) reputation: 'Progression'.
[LOG 21:10:35.589] [CurrencyConverter for Unpaid Research Program]: 0.25 Reputation taken, yields 0.1026382 Science
[WRN 21:10:35.593] [PartJoint]: None of the provided nodes was valid!
[EXC 21:10:35.596] NullReferenceException
    KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRMultiJointManager.CheckMultiJointBetweenParts (.Part testPart1, .Part testPart2)
    KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.UpdatePartJoint (.Part p)
    KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.RunVesselJointUpdateFunction (.Vessel v)
    KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    Part.Couple (.Part tgtPart)
    ModuleDockingNode.DockToVessel (.ModuleDockingNode node)
    ModuleDockingNode.<SetupFSM>m__368 ()
    KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt)
    KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode)
    KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM ()
    ModuleDockingNode.Update ()
[EXC 21:10:35.613] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KerbalAlarmClock.KerbalAlarmClock.UpdateDetails ()
    KerbalAlarmClock.KerbalAlarmClock.RepeatingWorker ()
    KSPPluginFramework.MonoBehaviourExtended.RepeatingWorkerWrapper ()
[EXC 21:10:35.614] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KSP.UI.Screens.Flight.SASDisplay.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.614] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    VesselAutopilotUI.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.614] NullReferenceException
    InternalSpace.InternalToWorld (Quaternion internalSpaceRotation)
    InternalSpace.WorldToInternal (Quaternion worldSpaceRotation)
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.615] NullReferenceException
    SSTUTools.FairingContainer.setOpacity (Single value)
    SSTUTools.SSTUNodeFairing.updateOpacity ()
    SSTUTools.SSTUNodeFairing.updateFairingStatus ()
    SSTUTools.SSTUNodeFairing.LateUpdate ()
    OrbitPhysicsManager.LateUpdate ()
    FlightGlobals.get_upAxis ()
[EXC 21:10:35.626] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:35.640] NullReferenceException
    OrbitPhysicsManager.checkReferenceFrame ()
    OrbitPhysicsManager.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.641] NullReferenceException
    FloatingOrigin.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.656] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.656] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.659] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.660] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.664] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.665] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.667] NullReferenceException
    TimeWarp.Update ()
[LOG 21:10:35.667] 4/29/2016 9:10:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 21:10:35.675] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.675] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.676] NullReferenceException
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.676] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.677] NullReferenceException
[LOG 21:10:35.683] 4/29/2016 9:10:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Removing DrawGUI from PostRender Queue
[EXC 21:10:35.685] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:35.707] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.708] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.714] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.714] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.715] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.720] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.721] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.723] NullReferenceException
    TimeWarp.Update ()
[LOG 21:10:35.723] 4/29/2016 9:10:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 21:10:35.739] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.739] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.739] NullReferenceException
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.740] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.740] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.746] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:35.755] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.756] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.761] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.761] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.765] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.765] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.767] NullReferenceException
    TimeWarp.Update ()
[LOG 21:10:35.767] 4/29/2016 9:10:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 21:10:35.776] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.776] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.776] NullReferenceException
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.777] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.777] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.833] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:35.856] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.856] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.859] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.863] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.863] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.868] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.868] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.873] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.874] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.878] NullReferenceException
    TimeWarp.Update ()
[LOG 21:10:35.879] 4/29/2016 9:10:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 21:10:35.900] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.900] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.900] NullReferenceException
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.901] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.901] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.909] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:35.922] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.923] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.926] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.927] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.928] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.930] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.930] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.932] NullReferenceException
    TimeWarp.Update ()
[LOG 21:10:35.933] 4/29/2016 9:10:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 21:10:35.937] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.937] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:35.937] NullReferenceException
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:35.937] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:35.938] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.016] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:36.040] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.040] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.046] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.046] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.050] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.051] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.055] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.056] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.058] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 21:10:36.059] [4/29/2016 9:10:36 PM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ExperimentFilter) - UpdateFilter Done - 00:00:00.0000350ms
[EXC 21:10:36.059] NullReferenceException
    TimeWarp.Update ()
[LOG 21:10:36.060] 4/29/2016 9:10:36 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 21:10:36.101] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:36.101] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:10:36.101] NullReferenceException
    IVASun.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:10:36.102] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.102] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.109] NullReferenceException
    VesselLabels.DrawGUI ()
    VesselLabels.OnGUI ()
[EXC 21:10:36.123] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.123] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.128] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.128] NullReferenceException
[EXC 21:10:36.132] NullReferenceException

@Shadowmage

I am currently taking a break from KSP, but I feel concern as it's a game I always go back to... as long as I have SSTU with it.

If you think it is becoming too much for you I can't ask you to keep going, specially that I am just a player and still I am taking a break. With that said, I would say SSTU deserve to be in the released section. Its quality is on par or surpass released mods. SSTU deserve to be known, because its not a mod, its many mods, its a total conversion.

I would say that while you stopping development would make me sad, the current version is more than adequate. So, if you get it to 1.4(1) and then do nothing but maintenance until you fell like doing more I would be more that happy. This mod is too good to die, it have to survive, one way or another.

38 minutes ago, sarbian said:

You are using KSP 1.4 with a mod build for KSP 1.3.

OMG!? You mean the mods have NOT been updated for 1.4 yet!!!!      

@ShadowMage  Before you stop,  you have to at least make an official release for SSTU and take it out of WIP after all these years. Release and then never look back at KSP :)

Edited by Jimbodiah

Well, I'm personally waiting until 1.4.1 and T2's policy post-release of Making History to see their stance for this community. While many do (and rightfully should) bring up the GTA Online fiasco, Civilization and XCOM also are owned by T2 and have great modding communities.

And yeah, I definitely do agree with the whole "stay on last stable version and wait out the stable release of future versions" approach, if Shadowmage changes their mind (or other modders read this)

Edited by T-10a

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.