[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

7 hours ago, blowfish said:

Had a chance to mess with the dev version a bit tonight and I can say that I'm still firmly for #2, maybe even moreso.  With even a moderate number of recolorable parts on the vessel, the whole vessel list quickly becomes challenging to navigate, or to even remember where you are when you're trying to recolor just one part.

Indeed;  #1 really seems like a good idea, until you get to play with it.  Even with part-highlighting to show the part for the GUI entry, it still quickly becomes hard to use.

Seems like #2 likely is what I'll be going with.  With the possibility of additional use of #3, as I think it might be the next best, and isn't mutually exclusive with #2.

Will likely implement it as a very simple PartModule that can be added to the parts that has a single function -- adding an in-editor GUI button to open the recoloring window.  Using a separate part-module removes the need for duplicate GUI code in all of the recoloring-enabled modules, and ensures that there is only a single button per-part (rather than per-module; so a part with both recolorable model and a recoloralble fairing will still only show a single button on the part).  Not fond of adding yet-more-modules to the parts, but this seems like the simplest solution for adding a per-part GUI button.

Will work on getting that bit implemented today so that the initial bit of testing can focus on the functioning of the recoloring system, rather than 'how to use the GUI'.

Hi Shadowmage, I installed USI Kontainers and the SSTU Kontainer had a blank model. I noticed that the model.cfg for your patch calls for MKS instead of Kontainers, so I installed MKS, which fixed the model issue, but the container has no contents and no options for configuring it other than diameter and texture. 

If I may suggest, a option would be to have part painted one at the time, but with the option to "bookmark" colour pattern, and then apply the same setup to other part in few click. Bookmark could also be made default and new part would adopt the same color pattern.

6 minutes ago, DocRockwell said:

Hi Shadowmage, I installed USI Kontainers and the SSTU Kontainer had a blank model. I noticed that the model.cfg for your patch calls for MKS instead of Kontainers, so I installed MKS, which fixed the model issue, but the container has no contents and no options for configuring it other than diameter and texture. 

Yeah, that patch set is still highly WIP.  I've been meaning to remove it from the releases until I can finish it up a bit more, but real-life has been limiting my available dev time recently.  Sorry for the sloppy work on those :(

If you would like to open up an issue ticket on the GitHub repository regarding the SSTU-OptionalPatches setup, that will ensure that it doesn't get forgotten about for the next release (will make sure I either finish the patches, or remove them entirely).  Hopefully it should be cleaned up for the initial KSP-1.3 releases either way, but opening up an issue/ticket on the problem will make sure it is done.  PR's for fixing/cleanup of those patches would of course be accepted as well, but not expected or necessary.

17 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Yeah, that patch set is still highly WIP.  I've been meaning to remove it from the releases until I can finish it up a bit more, but real-life has been limiting my available dev time recently.  Sorry for the sloppy work on those :(

If you would like to open up an issue ticket on the GitHub repository regarding the SSTU-OptionalPatches setup, that will ensure that it doesn't get forgotten about for the next release (will make sure I either finish the patches, or remove them entirely).  Hopefully it should be cleaned up for the initial KSP-1.3 releases either way, but opening up an issue/ticket on the problem will make sure it is done.  PR's for fixing/cleanup of those patches would of course be accepted as well, but not expected or necessary.

No worries. I made an issue ticket. Sorry I can't be of more help making a PR, I can only do very very basic modding at this point. 

If any one uses Station Science I made a patch adding some of it's functionality to a few of the SSTU parts.

StationScience compatibility patch

Current functionality:

• Research Lab added to BDB MOS-LS lab
  • Research Lab added to SSTU-SC-COS-LAB parts
  • Research Lab added to SSTU-SC-DOS-LAB
  • SSTU-SC-DOS-FEM duplicated and made a new zoology bay

I plan on including USI parts in this patch in the future.

I have no current plans to add functionality to any other BDB lab parts (if there are any) as I do not use them (I play with a cut down BDB install, only use the Mercury and Gemini pods and accessories)

RE balance: a small attempt at balance was made, mostly based off of research node placement (in CTT) and size of the part, the StationScience lab and zoology bay were disabled as well. If you wish to change the balance the .cfg is well commented and it should be fairly easy to see what I did and what to change.

If anyone has any patches they would like to include in this please feel free to PM me.

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

I have no current plans to add functionality to any other BDB lab parts (if there are any)

Great addition man!  Just as a note on this...the only other lab of consequence in BDB is Skylab and this is such a good idea I may run with it a bit and add the Zoology bay to Skylab as well since that would give both labs necessary for Station Science.  Really good idea!

Quick question --

How many of you use the 'Model Selection GUI' on the modular parts, as opposed to the model-selection sliders?

I'm debating on if I should remove the GUI entirely (as I don't use it myself), or spend a bit of time on cleaning up its implementation to remove the need for pre-rendered icon textures (which are a hassle to maintain).  I can certainly see its appeal, by allowing selection of a specific mount without clicking through a bunch of options, but for some reason I've never been fond of having to open the separate GUI for the selections.

17 hours ago, pap1723 said:

@Shadowmage. I just wanted to let you know that you have been getting a lot of love in the Realism Overhaul community. Keep up the phenomenal work! 

Glad it is still getting used :)

Hopefully there are not too many compatibility problems left; I've been trying to slowly get them cleaned up as I have time/motivation.  I know there was some questionable interaction regarding the MSRBs and RealFuels, and a few problems with mass/cost calculations on a few parts.  If you do run into any specific problems, feel free to open up issue tickets on the SSTULabs tracker; that way I at least am aware of the problem and it actually gets a chance to get fixed.

7 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Quick question --

How many of you use the 'Model Selection GUI' on the modular parts, as opposed to the model-selection sliders?

I'm debating on if I should remove the GUI entirely (as I don't use it myself), or spend a bit of time on cleaning up its implementation to remove the need for pre-rendered icon textures (which are a hassle to maintain).  I can certainly see its appeal, by allowing selection of a specific mount without clicking through a bunch of options, but for some reason I've never been fond of having to open the separate GUI for the selections.

There's not really a choice right now, is there?

Some things have sliders (solar panels on DOS, or the MFT-L tank variants, etc), others for the GUI (Nose and Mount).

I tend to prefer the sliders, honestly. The added window, plus scrolling is more of a pain than just wanting the adapter pop up and seeing if it works for a design. 

21 minutes ago, tater said:

There's not really a choice right now, is there?

Some things have sliders (solar panels on DOS, or the MFT-L tank variants, etc), others for the GUI (Nose and Mount).

I tend to prefer the sliders, honestly. The added window, plus scrolling is more of a pain than just wanting the adapter pop up and seeing if it works for a design. 

It is a bit hit-or-miss depending on what module and models.  Mostly it would just be parts using the standard nosecone/mount selections that would have the GUI option.

For most though, there is an option in the SSTU game settings to toggle between the GUI or sliders.  If 'Use Model Select GUI?' is not checked/enabled, all parts should be using sliders.  If it is checked/enabled most parts will have the GUI option in the right-click menu.

I second your general feeling on it; its simple enough to hit the buttons on the sliders, and after you get familiar with the model selections it is not too hard to get what you are looking for with only a couple clicks (one on the slider bar, and then one or two button presses).

Just did some more patching with kerbalism and I feel that the two mods suits very well together. I really suggest you trying the mod out, different from many other life support mods it takes comfort of kerbal such as artificial gravity and exercise into account so the StationCore you made which includes centrifuge modules and entertainment modules really makes a difference here. It also has background simulation, models a simple space weather and takes radiation belt/ magnetic field into account and many more. I think SSTU and kerbalism will be a perfect combo (if I can get the patch done someday)

General Development update:

Good progress on the recoloring system is being made, with most of the features implemented and a large portion of the textures converted.

A couple of highlights are the more compact and cleaned up recoloring GUI layout, thanks to feedback from the testing team:

lYSailM.png

Have also been working on an updated/cleaned up MUS part and module setup.  Both variants have been combined into a single part with an in-editor toggle to switch between the styles.  It has also gained nose adapter selection, upper and lower tank selections (if available), and probably most interestingly -- the ability to swap between RCS port models in the editor, including the option for 'none'.  It will support recoloring of all sections independently, as well as the upper and lower fairings (if enabled).

Using placeholder models (and testing how flexible the system is to use random models), testing out using a swapped set of RCS ports:

puycjtd.png

18 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Well - I use the GUI anytime it's there since I generally know exactly which nose/mount I'm looking for and can get to it a lot quicker using the GUI.  That said, if it's easier to do it via slider and results in less work/maintenance welllll.....

Convenience is a beautiful thing but I'd sacrifice it in a heartbeat if it's easier for you since the selection ability is the important piece, not the convenience.

Garrett Early Lunar Shelter. A proposed Apollo lander variant for later missions requiring longer stays.

A version would also get wheels.

https://falsesteps.wordpress.com/tag/apollo-variant/

Cool with the rover/truck version. It means a single part for use as lander, early base part, AND a vehicle. Also, it looks a lot like what we have already.

And another concept related to stuff we already have:

4705fe14b4680c6bf26e26514b41dee7.jpg

Edited by tater
typo

6 minutes ago, ridik58 said:

Hello , Sorry for my english. I would like to know if there is an ISRU to convert ORE into fuel (aerozine etc.)?

The stock game has ISRU parts, at the moment SSTU does not have those parts.

15 minutes ago, ridik58 said:

Hello , Sorry for my english. I would like to know if there is an ISRU to convert ORE into fuel (aerozine etc.)?

8 minutes ago, tater said:

The stock game has ISRU parts, at the moment SSTU does not have those parts.

And a bit more precisely -- currently no, there is no ISRU config to add NTO/Aerozine to the stock ISRU parts.  Though it is a good idea, and something I should probably put together and add into the stock-integration patch set.

Will look into adding this in for the upcoming KSP1.3+ releases.

On 5/5/2017 at 3:12 PM, Shadowmage said:

Quick question --

I use the slider. It is quicker for me because I know the part order well. The part order is quite consistent, the only exception is the flat adapter being last for DOS part.

Obviously that does not apply for new user. Your part selector should do the good job for them. There is two thing that would make it better:  Part selection in two click instend of three and smaller icon so we don't have to scroll up and down.

6 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

@Shadowmage I dont see the RD-191 or RD-170, im using the latest master off the git repo

They're not in master, different branch (which you may not want to use right now because a lot of the stuff in it is highly experimental)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.