[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Congratulations mage!

17 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Thankfully I think that after the craziness during the transitional period that I should end up with more a bit more freedom in daily scheduling and likely more free time in general.

Hahaha! I do not believe that!

On 2/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, Shadowmage said:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/StationCore/ST-HAB/ST-HAB-C3.cfg#L53-L55

Change those lines in the config to your new desired size.  The rest of the system should auto-scale things to match the specified diameter (main models, adapters, etc).  Yes, if you wanted RCS/Solar, those need to be manually positioned and scaled in the config file.

Note that will only change the visual size -- you'll still have more adjustments to do in order to get the mass and volume to line up with the new size.  (These lines in the config adjust mass/volume/etc, and are not multiplied for scaling IIRC -- https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/StationCore/ST-HAB/ST-HAB-C3.cfg#L67-L73 )

i6K5q4v.jpg

Thanks! Finally got my SSTU Mars Copernicus vehicle, in its full 10 meter diameter glory.

If it's not too much trouble, there's one more thing I'd like to inquire about. I've added the Adapter-Dome-A/B tank camps from the MUS tank to the MFT (they're really nice models, and I think you should make them a standard option), anyway I'd like to add an interstage node to the top of the tank like the one at the bottom. I thought it'd be pretty straight forward with the SSTUSelectableNodes module, I tried adding a top node and even followed the exact convention in the (experimental) MFT Service Module part, which has selectable top and bottom nodes (I noticed the MUS tank is a bit different, and the selectable nodes are referenced in the MUS module). The new selectable interstage node would occur in the middle of the tank instead of at node_stack_noseInterstage = 0,1,0,0,1,0,2. I'm guessing there's more to the SSTUSelectableNodes module than meets the eye.

*edit* a selectable top node would really come in handy when using the hemi-spherical end caps too.

Edited by DocRockwell

@DocRockwell very nice, that design has been a favorite of mine for awhile. I had been working on a parts pack with the truss awhile back but I dropped it due to lack of interest.  I had also made the truss reusable via docking port so it could be reloaded with drop tanks. (mainly to test out the concept for the four way truss / Star Truss  that would have necessitated such loading during orbital construction)

Edited by Starwaster

@Starwaster I fell in love with it after watching this, it's such a good vid, better than NASA's promotional material. It takes some tinkering to build, the HAB and detachable supply module have to be assembled backwards, then rotated and translated, and the docking port for the reloadable fuel truss had to be mounted to the truss instead of the propulsion module. I made a pretty tight looking assembly, but i haven't tested for collision problems during orbital assembly, ran into issues before w/ the sstu weldable docking ports (they'd always revert to their default size), trying Bahamuto's copernicus docking rings now.

Are you planning on updating your Heat Pump mod for ksp 1.3.1? I tried solving the boil off problem by capturing the escaping hydrogen and reliquifying it with an ISRU refrigeration unit powered by the nuclear engines, but it stops working at high time warp. I really need Heat Pump lol.

rGhBe3N.jpg

Edited by DocRockwell

1 hour ago, DocRockwell said:

Are you planning on updating your Heat Pump mod for ksp 1.3.1? I tried solving the boil off problem by capturing the escaping hydrogen and reliquifying it with an ISRU refrigeration unit powered by the nuclear engines, but it stops working at high time warp. I really need Heat Pump lol.

I hear you! But I've been trying to get some playing in because I'd been spending more time coding than playing so I needed to do some actual playing on career mode. But it won't be long before I start getting into long term cryogenic problems myself so then I'll have to get back to RF/HP

2 minutes ago, T-10a said:

Speaking of the Heat Pumps mod, would it be possible to implement the (ab)use of radiators as a way to prevent boiloff in future SSTU versions?

You can set the boil off rate or turn it off all together on SSTU tanks in the game settings menu (where you adjust difficulty)

7 hours ago, T-10a said:

I like the boiloff mechanic, it's just it would be nice to have a Heat-pumps style boiloff reduction for long-term antics in orbit (or use LFO/MP instead .-.)

Since I use RF and turn off SSTU's boiloff, I'm not that familiar with it but I have seen zero-boiloff tech mentioned in several places so I know it's there.

If you're playing a career game then you need to research it, tech is High-Performance Fuel Systems according to the configs.

If you're playing sandbox then you have to enable 'All Part Upgrades Applied in Sandbox' under Advanced Difficulty menu in Settings. (I think that setting can only be accessed from within a loaded game and not the main menu settings)

Disabling boil-off via heat pumps doesn't work, because SSTU boiloff is static, and not influenced by body or internal temperature.

It's either no boiloff, or a low/zero boiloff container, the latter needing electricity.

Edited by Temeter

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@Temeter the point is that it has a mechanism by which the boiloff can be avoided not how that mechanism actually works

My answer was more directed at T-10a (assuming I didn't miss the point^^)

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

My answer was more directed at T-10a (assuming I didn't miss the point^^)

Right, he was asking about an SSTU equivalent of what HP does.  :)

@Shadowmage From a modding standpoint, how do I go about controlling the volume assigned to ModularFuelTanks when adding it to an inflatable? Regardless of what I actually assign to the MFT,  SSTU is changing the volume to the maximum amount that it thinks the part can hold. For instance, adding ~350 liter tanks to the largest centrifuge for IonCross (life support) mod I end up with 70 kL which from the looks of it is about what the core could hold. Or is it not possible to specify smaller tanks?

Edited by Starwaster

On 3/1/2018 at 6:20 PM, DocRockwell said:

If it's not too much trouble, there's one more thing I'd like to inquire about. I've added the Adapter-Dome-A/B tank camps from the MUS tank to the MFT (they're really nice models, and I think you should make them a standard option), anyway I'd like to add an interstage node to the top of the tank like the one at the bottom. I thought it'd be pretty straight forward with the SSTUSelectableNodes module, I tried adding a top node and even followed the exact convention in the (experimental) MFT Service Module part, which has selectable top and bottom nodes (I noticed the MUS tank is a bit different, and the selectable nodes are referenced in the MUS module). The new selectable interstage node would occur in the middle of the tank instead of at node_stack_noseInterstage = 0,1,0,0,1,0,2. I'm guessing there's more to the SSTUSelectableNodes module than meets the eye.

*edit* a selectable top node would really come in handy when using the hemi-spherical end caps too.

In the upcoming rework, the fuel tanks will have quite a few more adapter options available.  If it will physically/visually fit, it will be an option.

SelectableNodes -- in the MFT modules, they use the 'fairingOffset' value in the SSTU_MODEL to determine where to position the node.  Also, the MFT only supports lower interstage nodes at a plugin level; so you will never be able to get it working for the nose interstage on that part.  The upcoming rework will also change this...something to look forward to.

18 hours ago, Starwaster said:

From a modding standpoint, how do I go about controlling the volume assigned to ModularFuelTanks when adding it to an inflatable?

By inflatable I'm guessing you are referring to the HAB and CFG parts?

Change the volume specified here:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/StationCore/ST-HAB/ST-HAB-B2.cfg#L67-L73

And add a new CONTAINER here:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/StationCore/ST-HAB/ST-HAB-B2.cfg#L287-L298

Examples of adding life-support to those parts:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/ModIntegration/USI-LS/USI-LS--ST-HAB.cfg#L180-L241

I've noticed that the SSTU fairings seem a bit, well, thick compared to stock fairings or fairings added by other mods. Is this due to the SSTU fairing module, or is it something in the ModuleProceduralFairing module?

9 hours ago, T-10a said:

I've noticed that the SSTU fairings seem a bit, well, thick compared to stock fairings or fairings added by other mods. Is this due to the SSTU fairing module, or is it something in the ModuleProceduralFairing module?

You would have to be more specific on which fairings you are talking about.  SSTU has its own fairing system (node-fairings, used by ISDC, engines), as well as using the stock fairing system for the stand-alone fairing parts (SC-GEN-FR).

Either/both should have config parameters to change the 'thickness', but the exact parameter would differ depending on which system you are trying to adjust.

As a sidenote to anyone planning to try the current SSTU versions with KSP 1.4; no need to even attempt it, won't start. (first that that broke seem to be particles; probably because of the switch to shuriken)

So pretty much business as usual.

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

As a sidenote to anyone planning to try the current SSTU versions with KSP 1.4

Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be sticking around KSP much longer.  Take Two has done everything that they can to make modding a giant PITA.  They already killed the experimentals team long ago, and now they have dropped doing public (or even semi-public) pre-release test versions.  No updated modding information, no updated PartTools.  Half-baked stock implementations of texture and mesh switching.  Its like they don't want me to make mods at all.

I'm going to try and get a KSP 1.4 version working of the old legacy codebase, but I think that will be the last update that I do.  So sadly, no reworked part-modules or models (or any of the stuff I've spent the past few months working on), as I would have to put in at least a few more weeks/months effort to get it working.  Going to give it a few more days of mulling it over, but it is not looking good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.