[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.9.44.156

Adds compatibility for KSP 1.5.x and the newer TU shaders and plugin.  Includes several bug-fixes for issues reported on the tracker (thanks @blowfish and others!).  Largest change is the removal of the separate PBR extension folder -- everything uses PBR shaders by default (with very few exceptions).  A few of the experimental PBR texture sets were removed, but may return in the future after being finished.

WARNING - Might not be fully backwards compatible with previous saves.  Many texture-set related changes, so cannot guarantee anything.  Make sure to completely remove your existing SSTU and SSTU-PBR folders before installing this update.

See the link above for full (but brief) patch notes, and download links.

So far, so good. Didn't really wring it out last night, but messed around a little. My only issue is getting KSP to run at all in High Sierra (can run it from the command line, but the application itself doesn't work in a bizarre way (it launches the KSP window, which then sits there, black, and can be quit--no need to kill process)).

Command line it is, then. :)

7 hours ago, tater said:

BTW, it doesn't run vanilla KSP, either, it's not a mod issue. The funny thing is I didn't even install 1.5.1 until SSTU was available, so in order to make sure, I then had to remove SSTU and check it unmodded.

Interesting, there have been some recent issues with OpenGL on Windows as well.  If I were more of a conspiracy nut, I might think there was something shady going on :)  (well, more shady than MS and Apple trying to push proprietary APIs over the open-source APIs; that is just a given).

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Interesting, there have been some recent issues with OpenGL on Windows as well.  If I were more of a conspiracy nut, I might think there was something shady going on :)  (well, more shady than MS and Apple trying to push proprietary APIs over the open-source APIs; that is just a given).

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok... Before I go the full delete and reinstall route I'll ask here first.

So downloaded and installed your mod last night... And I get this at start up.

ksp.jpg

And a few parts... Mostly ISS parts are untextured. Only mod I've added in the last week is the SSTU mod last night. Before that I didn't get the pop up above. 

What I've tried so far is to remove "000_TexturesUnlimited" folder then fired up KSP. That fixed the pop up but caused more than 3/4's of the SSTU mod to not load. No pop up warnings when loading up KSP... Just a bunch of blank spots where the parts should be. Can even click on those spots and KSP acts like I've picked up a part and click it on to another part in the VAB and all, but no part there. And a few other parts of the SSTU mod are untextured when they were not effected before I removed the Textures Unlimited.

So next I reinstall the TU folder and fired KSP back up then shut it down and took out the SSTU folder and fired up KSP again to see what would happen. The above pop up was back... 

Now I spent the last 40 or so mins going through each folder that was touched by the SSTU mod... Everything looks right. But removing any of them would break a bunch of other mods. And that's another thing, The SSTU mods is the only mod effected by all of this. That's why I've chosen to post here and not in a more open sub forum.

I wanted to post a long file but I think because I run KSP just out of the unzipped zip folder and don't have it installed... The " %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\" address line stops at username for me. I have no "AppData" folder. :(

Is there anything you guys and gals can think of I've missed? Like I said above this just started last night after installing the SSTU mod... I'm stumped to the point were only other thing I can think of is to do a fresh install. 

Any help is as always appreciated of course. And Thanks for your time. 

Edited by SouthPhilly

Just tried Installing the SSTU mod into a fleshly downloaded copy of KSP with no other mods installed... Get the same pop up as in my OP and another interesting side effect.

Here's what happens... Downloaded a new zip folder from the KSP site and unzipped it to my desktop then fired it up to make sure everything stock was working. All went as expected... KSP loaded up and was good to go. So I closed it down went to the github link above and downloaded a fresh copy of the SSTU mod, Unzipped it and moved all of the folders and files in the zip folder to the GameData folder And fired up KSP again.

This is where it gets weird... Instead of loading up in the minimized window KSP does when you do a fresh install... It loaded up in window mode but was stretched to fix the whole screen, but the texturing was really bad and the click region for the mouse was all messed up. As in i had to put the mouse pointer a couple of inches above what I wanted to click. 

So ya... I'm at a lose as to the cause or what to do next... 

48 minutes ago, SouthPhilly said:

So downloaded and installed your mod last night... And I get this at start up.

That is normal when using Textures Unlimited.  It uses graphics functions that are not available on DX9.  KSP, by default, starts in DX9 mode -- therefore, in order to get the full functionality out of TexturesUnlimited (and SSTU), you need to launch KSP in OpenGL or DX11 mode.  See the TexturesUnlimited thread for instructions on how to do that if the pop up was not clear.

50 minutes ago, SouthPhilly said:

I wanted to post a long file but I think because I run KSP just out of the unzipped zip folder and don't have it installed... The " %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\" address line stops at username for me. I have no "AppData" folder. :(

Your log file will be located in the same directory as your 'KSP_x64.exe' executable.  It will be named 'KSP.log'.  Please find that file, and upload it to a relevant file-sharing site (dropbox works well), and post the link for that file here.  The log file will contain the needed information to find out what is going on.

From a blind guess -- something is not installed correctly.  Most likely version mismatches somewhere or missing dependencies.  Other big potential is mod conflicts.

0qrfA4D.png

The BFS needs a better docking port arrangement. I used an SSTU port, right under where the door covers it. I think the station needs a long, skinny port to make docking easier. Took a while to get it to grab on that wide hub. Looks like I hit the "2" key in the dark, too (folded the fins).

On 11/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, tater said:

So far, so good. Didn't really wring it out last night, but messed around a little. My only issue is getting KSP to run at all in High Sierra (can run it from the command line, but the application itself doesn't work in a bizarre way (it launches the KSP window, which then sits there, black, and can be quit--no need to kill process)).

Command line it is, then. :)

I have no clue if this will help @tater but NONE of my Unity games have been running well over the last few months.  Perhaps one of the newer sub-releases of Unity is the cause?   All hang with a black screen which feels like it takes for-EVER.  

I know for Battletech, that some modders have KIND of fixed it... It appears that Unity in creating a List/Array is Re-sorting the List after EVERY change..... Instead of waiting to the end to do a sort on the whole list (saving several 10s of thousands of processor cycles and computations.)  

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Once I launch it from the unix executable (inside the package contents of the application) it runs great.

Yeah me too.  I just meant that when I start the game it takes a LONG time with a black screen before it seems to "start" to load.   This is the same situation with Battletech and Pathfinder Kingmaker.   Since all three are Unity games and since you were complaining about a "Black" screen I thought I would mention it.   Enough Topic Derailment.   Just re-starting my Career (have not played much since 1.31 release for the obvious above mentioned 1000 hours of reasons on OTHER unity games.)

The petal adapter with colliders on is a useful thing:

i4MhJRl.png

(messing with a lander using the Integrated Program Mod)

Anyway, it would be cool if there was some sort of version of this with an optional structure (either a center as shown--with a crew hatch!, or beefed up looking petals (non-deployabe), and no ability to decouple the top node (the above was a kludge with clipping, etc). Ideally the floor of a (solid) payload adapter is closer to flush with the "ramp," and perhaps an option for how many petals are allowed to deploy (1, 2, 3). Non-deplyable petals would have a grid on them to look structural so the parts above don't float. It would have crossfeed, as well, so you can put engines right on the bottom.

Just thinking of a way to make a super useful, lander part that is a real multi-tasker that is based on something that already almost works as-is in SSTU. Jeb can walk up the ramp, but cannot climb (f) the last bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.