[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

6 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Judging by your screenshots it looks like it didn't break anything in TU, which is great news.  At least I (hopefully) won't have to spend a ton of time cleaning up the stock issues, though I'll certainly have to play around with the stock reflection update stuff to see if/how it works (and how broken it is with mods in play, and if it even does convolution correctly).

Reflections seemed to be normal. If there is anything you'd like a screenshot of to diagnose likely issues, let me know. I have a vanilla 1.6 install, with SSTU added (not even MH added).

34 minutes ago, tater said:

Reflections seemed to be normal. If there is anything you'd like a screenshot of to diagnose likely issues, let me know. I have a vanilla 1.6 install, with SSTU added (not even MH added).

Thanks for the offer :)   It something I'm going to have to do myself though, as it will involve some debug-edits and recompiles of the TU plugins to allow it to make use of the stock reflection stuff.

Good to know that the stock system didn't break TU entirely; hopefully there won't be too much that I need to change.  I'm really hoping that the stock reflection system is done properly, and I'll be able to leverage it directly.... but their previous work is not invoking much confidence.

1.6 Update News:

Should be available shortly after TU is updated, but that might take a few weeks (holidays, actual time to implement).  Beyond that it might take a bit longer as there are some outstanding bugs that need to get cleaned up before the next update.

If the current releases 'work', go ahead and use them.  At this point there aren't any game-breaking changes planned, so there shouldn't be any issues when the official update is released.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:58 PM, Shadowmage said:

Performance -- have I mentioned how badly it has performed during my testing?  Ever try turning on the voxel viewer in the editor? (enjoy your <1 fps, if it doesn't just lock up the computer entirely).

FYI, I have fixed it on https://github.com/dkavolis/Ferram-Aerospace-Research, there is no more (or minimal) performance loss when using debug voxels although they look slightly different due to issues with rendering.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:58 PM, Shadowmage said:

Huh, well apparently SQUAD did another un-announced / un-scheduled game update.

In short -- I have no idea if/when I'll be able to get SSTU updated for 1.6.  It will be awhile.  I have things planned and in the works from now up until midway through January, which is when this updated was supposed to be released.  Will be at least until then before I will be able to do even a basic recompile of SSTU or any of my other mods. 

So sick of the inconsistent update schedules, and lack of any actual schedule.  Why announce a 3-month update timing pattern... and then not stick to it for even the first update?  Like what?  How am I supposed to schedule my work if I can't rely on their announced schedules being followed?

All I heard was *grumble* *grumble* giving me all these free fixes and graphic updates so quickly *grumble* *grumble*

I very much like this update... personally, I think they should have waited on 1.5 to include these things with it; it resolves a bunch of short and long-standing issues aside from the graphical updates.

What are the bits that are currently in pieces on the floor?

9 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

All I heard was *grumble* *grumble* giving me all these free fixes and graphic updates so quickly *grumble* *grumble*

My issue is with their lack of following the schedule that they posted. Posting the intention to have a 'three month update cycle', and then immediately not following that schedule for the first release that should have followed it.  I would be much less irritated had it been delayed out to >3 months; that I can understand.  The timing of it was also exceptionally poor.  Seriously, two days before the holidays?  Do they not think mod authors have lives/families/other obligations that need taken care of once in awhile, or simply did they not take any of that into consideration at all?

Updates = great.

Lack of follow-through on posted schedule = bad.

Posting an update right before X-mas, that mod-authors need to respond to, outside of their stated schedule = very, very bad.  I have lost much respect for SQUAD with this move.

13 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

What are the bits that are currently in pieces on the floor?

Honestly have no idea.  I haven't even had time to download the new version, let alone any time to test stuff.  Probably won't for another week at least.

When I see someone (SQUAD) post about a very specific update schedule, I expect it will be followed.  Thus I have/had already scheduled other things to work on for the past few weeks, and through the first part of Jan.  According to the schedule that I was following, I wouldn't have to worry about even starting 1.6 stuff until sometime after the middle of January.  And unfortunately it is looking like there isn't much I'll be able to do to change that; existing obligations are just that.

Yeah, people like getting updates, but I think they forget how much flak you mod authors take. There are all the posts not to bug mod authors, but even minus the bugging, I know from my modding days in SH4 that I felt responsible to make things work when broken, even when RL got in the way. That's the trouble with the lot of you, you're too %$#@%$ responsible! :D

Kind of tired of the endless KSP updates that bring little to nothing. I'm still playing 1.3.1 and wonder what benefits the player has actually noticed during all the updates since then vs the hassles to have all the modders stay up to date?

Edited by Jimbodiah

On 12/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, Jimbodiah said:

Kind of tired of the endless KSP updates that bring little to nothing. I'm still playing 1.3.1 and wonder what benefits the player has actually noticed during all the updates since then vs the hassles to have all the modders stay up to date?

Well the built in dV calculations are pretty major. It probably should have been included before the game went to 1.0, and I think it will be a big change to how people will play a "stock-ish" game. 

But besides that, although I'm all for Squad fixing bugs and reskinning parts to, I think they should be able to do that without so many mod breaking changes in 0.0.X minor updates.

@Shadowmage, I am trying to add more models to the SSTU radial tank part, specifically the radial tanks from Near Future Propulsion, but without success.

I tried to copy the method you used on the stock radial tanks; I created an SSTU_model node for the model and added that model name to the part’s CORE node. However no new options show up in the part switcher. 

Is there anywhere else I need to define something or am I missing something else?

On 12/30/2018 at 7:55 PM, Nightside said:

@Shadowmage, I am trying to add more models to the SSTU radial tank part, specifically the radial tanks from Near Future Propulsion, but without success.

I tried to copy the method you used on the stock radial tanks; I created an SSTU_model node for the model and added that model name to the part’s CORE node. However no new options show up in the part switcher. 

Is there anywhere else I need to define something or am I missing something else?

Hmm.... which SSTU version?   The setup for the parts in the newer versions is quite complex and requires a bit more than it did previously.  Could also post samples of your configs/patches so that I can take a peek at them (links or spoilers, whichever you think is appropriate to their length).

On 12/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, Jimbodiah said:

OMG   1.6.0    Seriously?   I had just gathered most of my mods in 1.5.1   :mad:

No kidding :)

Working on getting all of SSTU's dependencies cleaned up and recompiled for 1.6.  Two down, one to go.  So, perhaps next weekend I'll have an update available.

10 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Working on getting all of SSTU's dependencies cleaned up and recompiled for 1.6.  Two down, one to go.  So, perhaps next weekend I'll have an update available.

Take it easy, no rush.

BTW, you're in the Rockies, right? What's the weather like up there? Snowing like crazy down here in NM... hope they get loads of snowpack up north.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Take it easy, no rush.

BTW, you're in the Rockies, right? What's the weather like up there? Snowing like crazy down here in NM... hope they get loads of snowpack up north.

Cold and snowy here as well.  ~12 inches of fresh snow over the weekend (in the valley, likely was likely many ft in the mountains), with daily high temps of <10f.  Only getting started here though, still have another 2-3 months of cold and snow yet to go.  Yep, right in the middle of the Rockies, a stones-throw away from Yellowstone.

2 hours ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Will the current 1.5.1 version and the 1.6 version be useable in 1.4.5? I recently realised that some mods for more recent versions work in older ksp versions so I was wondering if it would be the same with this mod.

Unknown -- feel free to give it a try, watching your log for exceptions/errors.  If no exceptions pop up, then likely it will work fine.

As far as I remember there weren't any breaking changes between the 1.4.5 and 1.5.x stock API, so you may be in luck.

7 hours ago, TachyonGMZ said:

Will the current 1.5.1 version and the 1.6 version be useable in 1.4.5? I recently realised that some mods for more recent versions work in older ksp versions so I was wondering if it would be the same with this mod.

Please let me know your results.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:49 PM, pap1723 said:

Please let me know your results.

I looked through the log in the main ksp directory and used the find next option to find anything that contained ERR. I did not find anything relating to the SSTU mod. Due to my methods of looking and the fact that I only launched a stock rocket once, im not sure if that was enough to make sure that it worked. If I need to test every SSTU part on a rocket I can do that when I have time tommorow.

2 hours ago, TachyonGMZ said:

I looked through the log in the main ksp directory and used the find next option to find anything that contained ERR. I did not find anything relating to the SSTU mod. Due to my methods of looking and the fact that I only launched a stock rocket once, im not sure if that was enough to make sure that it worked. If I need to test every SSTU part on a rocket I can do that when I have time tommorow.

Additionally search for the word exception because not all errors say error - a lot of the really bad things that can happen will say exception though. (especially my personal favorite, the NullRefException.

@Starwaster

@pap1723

[EXC 23:00:17.252] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[RectTransform] ()
    DialogCanvasUtil.get_DialogCanvasRect ()
    CrewHatchController.get_CrewHatchTooltip ()
    CrewHatchController.HideTooltip ()
    CrewHatchController.DespawnUIs ()
    CrewHatchController.OnDestroy ()

Ok so I found this but I dont know what has caused it or what it relates to.

Edit: Ok so that was the wrong log, found no exceptions for SSTU so I think it should be fine. Am wondering why there was a null reference exception though since that above log is from a stock 1.6 install. Also got a few exceptions with clickthroughblocker and although this isnt the place for that has anyone else just happened to encounter issues if you use that mod in 1.4.5? Either way no issues with sstu.

Edit (Again): So after actually testing it it does not work. I found that it prevents probes plus texture switching and the landers have no texture. It also prevents most buttons from working such as the load craft button and the exit button.

Edited by TachyonGMZ

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

is there a lighter version that adds the engines and the landers only?

Nope. I once cherry picked just the parts I wanted and was somewhat successful in that endeavor.

But I didn't really save by doing so and eventually just went with a full install.

It IS possible to do but you're going to buy yourself a whole lot of hassle and aggravation and I just can't say it's really worth it. (there's some texture and model sharing happening and if you delete the wrong thing, a lot of parts are affected)

Hello! I love SSTU and have been using it for a long time, I've been using the latest version with 1.6.1 with no problems really. Though I ran into a small anomaly; the thrust curves for SRBs don't seem to be working.

I clicked on "edit curves" in the SRB's menu. And then selected "load preset" and then selected a curve profile. In testing, the SRB's thrust remained constant as well as fuel flow.  Is there something I neglected to do to activate this feature, or is this a problem introduced with the new patch? I'm not sure, but possibly this is related to issue #745 on github.

Edited by Bob Jub

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.