[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

gotcha..

after implimenting the other suggestions to try and fix my booster smackage issue..I am hung on one thing. timing.

I cant nail the timing required with the prograde trick to properly and cleanly stage the boosters, so I gave in and concealed a stock seperatron in the nose cones of the boosters, which gives them just enough force to make a 'nose out aerodynamic pull' on the booster, which in turn pulls it free..which was exactly what I wanted in the first place.

in the end, it all falls on the timing..which I just cant hit.

thank you for your time in helping diagnose the issue.

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.11.48.160

Few minor bugfixes, merged many PRs, some integration features for use by other mods, and an updated TU that removes the API warning and uses stock reflection probes.

See the link above for changelog and downloads.

I haven't downloaded that version, but loading the previous version in 1.71 I get this:

LOG 03:31:00.918] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-COM
[ERR 03:31:00.923] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

[ERR 03:31:00.924] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-NRM' not found!

[LOG 03:31:00.929] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-FEM
[ERR 03:31:00.937] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

[ERR 03:31:00.938] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-NRM' not found!

[LOG 03:31:00.943] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-HAB
[ERR 03:31:00.949] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

[ERR 03:31:00.950] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-NRM' not found!

[LOG 03:31:00.955] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-LAB
[ERR 03:31:00.962] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

[ERR 03:31:00.962] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-NRM' not found!

[LOG 03:31:00.967] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-PWR
[ERR 03:31:00.972] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

[ERR 03:31:00.973] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-NRM' not found!

[LOG 03:31:00.978] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-STR
[LOG 03:31:00.998] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-TKS
[ERR 03:31:01.004] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

[ERR 03:31:01.005] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-NRM' not found!

[LOG 03:31:01.009] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-EVA-HATCH

Doubt it's terribly important, just FYI.

6 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I haven't downloaded that version, but loading the previous version in 1.71 I get this:

LOG 03:31:00.918] Load(Model): SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-COM
[ERR 03:31:00.923] Texture 'SSTU/Assets/ST-DOS-DIFF' not found!

Yeah, those were the textures assigned to the models when they were exported through PartTools, back in the day.  The textures have since changed names, and are now loaded/assigned by TU.... but PartTools still embeds the original texture name into the model, KSP looks for that texture when loading, and then complains when it can't find it.  TU then dutifully comes in behind the stock code and fixes it all up as it should be based on the values defined in configs.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, Shadowmage said:

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.11.48.160

Few minor bugfixes, merged many PRs, some integration features for use by other mods, and an updated TU that removes the API warning and uses stock reflection probes.

See the link above for changelog and downloads.

Where is the real plume CFG?I can't find them

@Shadowmage 

The three lander pod parts have different mass and cost values when viewed in the inventory list than when actually placed. This is stock + SSTU only.

As an example, the LC5 has a listed cost of 6400 and a mass of 3.4 tons. When placed in the VAB its cost is 1320 and its mass is 7.021

The mass discrepancy is undoubtedly because the part has no resources on its prefab: When stripped of its resources (and external tanks removed) its mass becomes the listed value of 3.4

The cost at that point drops to 675. If the containers are configured to remove the resources outright (as opposed to using the sliders in the PAW) then the cost drops even further to 14 funds

The LC2 and LC3 behave similarly and if stripped of all the resources and tanks their costs drop to 9 and 14 funds respectively.

Here's a log for you if you want it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovw2dkdalpkvdi6/SSTU-LanderCore_testing-output_log.zip?dl=1

Edited by Starwaster

On 6/20/2018 at 1:25 AM, T-10a said:

@mechanicH Use the Soyuz OM+DM+SM parts (maybe up the crew capacity in the DM to 3 seats, like the real TMA soyuz), and attach the escape tower to the OM. Attach a decoupler to the bottom of the SM and there is the Soyuz spacecraft done!
Next up, we make a small tank of diameter 1.875m and height variant 2x (as Blok-I has these rough proportions IRL) and attach underneath an RD-0110. Strap a decoupler under that and put on a tank of approx 6x length and use the Soyuz 3 nose, and then put an RD-108A on the bottom of that. Strap one radial tank on facing the door of the VAB on the cylindrical part of the first stage, and then put an RD-107 underneath that radial tank (This is so we don't have to mess around with the rotation tool :wink:). Reattach it on a 45 degree angle from last time and use 4x symmetry. Boom! Soyuz done, now all that's left is to fix colours as desired and check staging :D

First time using SSTU, and back to KSP after a while, so my question might be stupid but... I can't seem to attach the SM to the DM. The OM and DM are properly attached, but when I approach the SM under the DM, it snaps where it should, but if I click it stays unconnected, and the snapping spheres disappear. I have tried with either DM or OM as root for the ship, same issue: the DM won't attach.

Is there something I am missing?

https://reho.st/imgur.com/xc8l7wp.png

https://reho.st/imgur.com/SXY4z0k.png

Edited by Korb Biakustra

27 minutes ago, Korb Biakustra said:

First time using SSTU, and back to KSP after a while, so my question might be stupid but... I can't seem to attach the SM to the DM. The OM and DM are properly attached, but when I approach the SM under the DM, it snaps where it should, but if I click it stays unconnected, and the snapping spheres disappear. I have tried with either DM or OM as root for the ship, same issue: the DM won't attach.

Is there something I am missing?

https://reho.st/imgur.com/xc8l7wp.png

https://reho.st/imgur.com/SXY4z0k.png

That's a bug and you almost certainly have errors that are being generated. Without logs it's impossible to do anything but guess. But if I had to guess then you don't have something installed correctly or an installed mod is not compatible with the version of KSP you're running or you have a mod conflict.

Edited by Starwaster

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to check first if that wasn't a known issue, since SSTU otherwise seemed to work correctly. 

I am running KSP 1.7.1 on Linux. Here is the content of my GameData folder:

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_TexturesUnlimited
000_Toolbar
Chatterer
DarkMultiPlayer
DistantObject
EasyVesselSwitch
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
JamesWebb
KEAM
Kerbaltek
KerbetrotterLtd
Kopernicus
KSPModFileLocalizer.dll
KSPRC
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManagerLicense.md
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
PlanetShine
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReentryParticleEffect
ReStockPlus
SmokeScreen
Spectra
Squad
SSTU
TarsierSpaceTech
TextureReplacer
toolbar-settings.dat
TriggerTech
TURD
unBlur.0.5.0.dll

And... Turns out KSP.log is quite big. 25k lines. I guess that's not good. Is there a keyword I can use to filter a little before uploading that? "SSTU" occurs a number of times, but maybe I can narrow the search down to a typical error or something?

Edited by Korb Biakustra

@Korb Biakustra 25k lines isn't that big. You can zip it up if you want. Put it on Dropbox and share the link for other people to download. Never give only part of a log.

The log has all of your mods listed btw so you never have to list your mods separately. If you want to search it for yourself you want to look for the word exception. Errors will often be listed as exceptions. NullReferenceException is a common one. The beginning of the log will have information about what mod plugins did not load properly. It will also list their version numbers to help you determine if you have the most up to date version of that mod.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:30 AM, Starwaster said:

The three lander pod parts have different mass and cost values when viewed in the inventory list than when actually placed. This is stock + SSTU only. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely have to take a look at them to see where the configs go wrong.

The first bit is a known issue regarding stock parts -- if there are any resources in the prefab, stock code makes a mess of fuel-switching and re-adds those resources to 'live' parts.  So there will always be some discrepancy based solely on the resources in the prefab vs. the actual part.

However what you are stating is shown for the costs of the live parts sans resources is incorrect, or at least not intended.  I'll have to dig into that a bit.

20 hours ago, Korb Biakustra said:

Alright thanks! Here it is: https://jirafeau.net/f.php?h=2tUTxiF6&d=1

You have TextureReplace installed, which is throwing tons of errors.  That is its own problem which should be resolved by that mods' author.

[EXC 23:12:25.414] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
	System.Linq.Enumerable.First[SkinnedMeshRenderer] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback)
	System.Linq.Enumerable.First[SkinnedMeshRenderer] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate)
	TextureReplacer.Reflections.setReflectionType (Type type)
	TextureReplacer.Reflections.load ()
	TextureReplacer.TextureReplacer.LateUpdate ()

I think the real issue you are encountering with SSTU though is that it appears you did not install CommunityResourcePack, as the Aerozine50 resource is missing:

[ERR 23:09:41.163] Aerozine50 not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

[ERR 23:09:41.164] Module ModuleRCSFX threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleRCS.SetupPropellant (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModuleRCS.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

That error essentially 'breaks' any parts using those resources.  Which is quite a few.

Your log confirms that CRP is not being loaded.  It was included in the SSTU releases, and needed to be installed alongside all the rest of the dependencies.

Bingo! Much better, the parts now attach correctly. Thanks a lot! And you were right, I was probably using a wrong version of TextureReplacer, thank you for pointing that out. Sorry for the noise.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

1 minute ago, Korb Biakustra said:

Bingo! Much better, the parts now attach correctly. Thanks a lot! And you were right, I was probably using a wrong version of TextureReplacer, thank you for pointing that out. Sorry for the noise.

Glad I could help you get it working :)

Now I can really play with the mod. Trying to build the gorgeous Soyuz launcher, but I'm stuggling with the upper stage:

z_9R.png

What are the correct settings to get something similar to the Soyuz Block F? I'm not sure about which part to use for the corresponding engine either (currently missing in the screenshot): bare RD108A with some vertical adjustment to get the nozzles closer to the stage, and then an orange IPA around it?

Edited by Korb Biakustra

On 7/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, Korb Biakustra said:

Now I can really play with the mod. Trying to build the gorgeous Soyuz launcher, but I'm stuggling with the upper stage:

z_9R.png

What are the correct settings to get something similar to the Soyuz Block F? I'm not sure about which part to use for the corresponding engine either (currently missing in the screenshot): bare RD108A with some vertical adjustment to get the nozzles closer to the stage, and then an orange IPA around it?

On 7/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, Korb Biakustra said:

z_9R.png

There is an interstage adapter that would work better than the IPA, you can disable the top decoupler.

Hmm. I'm worried I screwed something up with installation - or is there a reason there's no data on the solar panels in the VAB/SPH? No "extra info", unable to right click the part icon in the list, so I have no idea how much electricity it produces. I take it it's some kind of special custom solar panel code, because Kerbalism doesn't recognize it either. The cluster NERV is also invisible (mount is fine), as is the radial tank. Maybe because of restock?

Edited by The Destroyer

thanks for great mod! do you have plan to make it work with kerbalism? I've made some progress over the past few weeks on making your mod and Kerbalism compatible with each other. but since my major is not programming, i'm having some problems with solar panals. It's beyond my ability, I think. i want RSS/RO/SSTU/kerbalism..

8 hours ago, VaNnadin said:

thanks for great mod! do you have plan to make it work with kerbalism? I've made some progress over the past few weeks on making your mod and Kerbalism compatible with each other. but since my major is not programming, i'm having some problems with solar panals. It's beyond my ability, I think. i want RSS/RO/SSTU/kerbalism..

Then you will have 3 mods with alternate solar panel modules to worry about, Kopernicus, a dependency of RSS, also changes the stock solar panel module.

From what I understand, the reason SSTU uses its own module is to support complex animations that the models require. The best solution is probably to convince the  Kerbalism dev to support the SSTU module.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, VaNnadin said:

See below :)

On 7/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, Nightside said:

Then you will have 3 mods with alternate solar panel modules to worry about, Kopernicus, a dependency of RSS, also changes the stock solar panel module.

From what I understand, the reason SSTU uses its own module is to support complex animations that the models require. The best solution is probably to convince the  Kerbalism dev to support the SSTU module.

Yep pretty much that.  Stock modules absolutely will not support the complex solar panel suncatcher/pivot layouts used in SSTU -- stock is 'one named pivot only per part'

However, the Kerbalism devs are already working on SSTU support/integration last I heard (~3 weeks ago).  I believe there is one PR that I need to review and merge, and then I think the rest of the integration will be on Kerbalism's side of things.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:33 PM, Nightside said:

Blame Squad for not making the solar panel code (and a bunch of other things) more modular.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.