[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

How would I go about changing/removing tech limits?

I tried changing the max diameter allowed at each upgrade tier as well as making the upgrades available at sooner tech nodes (need those big parts earlier in RSS) but it seems to have no effect. Actually it seemingly worked for the tanks but not any of the other procedural parts.

Help would be appreciated.

Note: I'm playing with RSS but not RO so I don't have those configs interfering.

21 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

How would I go about changing/removing tech limits?

These upgrade lines in the individual parts (these are the tanks, but other parts use very similar setups):

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/Tanks/SSTU-TANK-MFT-A.cfg#L599-L639

Reference these 'upgrade' parts (again, that is the tanks file; the other files are in the same folder):

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/Upgrades/UpgradeParts-MFT.cfg

The required tech is set in the upgrade part.  Edit/patch those to reference your desired tech.  As far as removing the requirements entirely -- been too long since I've played with the system, so couldn't say off the top of my head; but it is an unsupported use-case anyway.  It might be doable (should be, even), but couldn't really say one way or the other with any certainty.

NOTE:  I believe some of the tech-tree related data is loaded into the save-game file, so you may need to start a new game in order to see all of the tech-tree related changes.

FURTHER NOTE:  Many of the parts reference upgrades for other parts (or did at one point).  E.g. the decouplers may use the tank-size upgrade (or they might have their own...).  Something to keep in mind.

50 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

These upgrade lines in the individual parts (these are the tanks, but other parts use very similar setups):

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/Tanks/SSTU-TANK-MFT-A.cfg#L599-L639

Reference these 'upgrade' parts (again, that is the tanks file; the other files are in the same folder):

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/Upgrades/UpgradeParts-MFT.cfg

The required tech is set in the upgrade part.  Edit/patch those to reference your desired tech.  As far as removing the requirements entirely -- been too long since I've played with the system, so couldn't say off the top of my head; but it is an unsupported use-case anyway.  It might be doable (should be, even), but couldn't really say one way or the other with any certainty.

NOTE:  I believe some of the tech-tree related data is loaded into the save-game file, so you may need to start a new game in order to see all of the tech-tree related changes.

FURTHER NOTE:  Many of the parts reference upgrades for other parts (or did at one point).  E.g. the decouplers may use the tank-size upgrade (or they might have their own...).  Something to keep in mind.

Hmm. This is what I did but I will try again with a cleaner install to see if it was interference from another mod. Thanks for the quick reply.

17 hours ago, Sahadara said:

Hmm. This is what I did but I will try again with a cleaner install to see if it was interference from another mod. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll be working through some updates for the mod in the upcoming weeks, and I'll try to remember to take a moment to check on this feature and document how to adjust the tech-limits.

If you do get it figured out, feel free to post letting others know how it was done; nothing wrong with sharing the information :)

5 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

I'll be working through some updates for the mod in the upcoming weeks, and I'll try to remember to take a moment to check on this feature and document how to adjust the tech-limits.

If you do get it figured out, feel free to post letting others know how it was done; nothing wrong with sharing the information :)

Will do. My PC is currently out of commission due to some faulty RAM :/ but I'll be trying that as soon as I get it back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been quiet for a bit, and about the only thing I can add at this point is 'Promotions Suck'.  I mean, getting paid more is great and all, but... having a life would be good too once in awhile.  I suppose that is the real trick, finding the balance between the three (work/life/fuel for barter).

I do still intend to fix up an official 1.8 release, probably about the time 1.9 drops with how things are going, but it is still in the plans.  Now that the holidays are done and all the obligations they bring, I'm truly hoping to have a day or two to spend on coding and cleanup; likely shouldn't take much longer than that, as most everything still works as-is, just needs recompiled/packaged/labeled as compatible.

And then I found out yesterday I'm getting another promotion in the near future.  Yay?  At least this one might, perchance, lead to a bit more 'free' time on occasion; but I'm going to work on getting updates out before then, just in case.

10 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Been quiet for a bit, and about the only thing I can add at this point is 'Promotions Suck'.  I mean, getting paid more is great and all, but... having a life would be good too once in awhile.  I suppose that is the real trick, finding the balance between the three (work/life/fuel for barter).

I do still intend to fix up an official 1.8 release, probably about the time 1.9 drops with how things are going, but it is still in the plans.  Now that the holidays are done and all the obligations they bring, I'm truly hoping to have a day or two to spend on coding and cleanup; likely shouldn't take much longer than that, as most everything still works as-is, just needs recompiled/packaged/labeled as compatible.

And then I found out yesterday I'm getting another promotion in the near future.  Yay?  At least this one might, perchance, lead to a bit more 'free' time on occasion; but I'm going to work on getting updates out before then, just in case.

He lives!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got a few moments today to work on modding affairs, and the good news is that generally most things seem to be still fully functional; no code changes needed so far.

There was however an issue with the procedural fairing shading, which after a few hours mucking about with the generation code, turned out to be a simple issue of a missing normal map texture... a quick config tweak later, and it is back to working as intended :)

xaTJ2uj.png

Still investigating and cleaning up a few things with the part-icons in the pop-up tooltips, that are getting cropped incorrectly.  I've verified that this is something in the shader itself and not in TUs replacement code, but I'm yet to track down the source for the stock icon shaders, so have no reference to how they are configured.  The issue itself is odd, because it manifests differently depending on how you flip and scroll through the editor tabs; sometimes a part-icon will get cropped, sometimes not; leaving the editor and re-entering, and performing a different set of actions with the editor tabs and scrolling will manifest in a different set of parts being effected.  Very strange to say the least.

7 hours ago, raptor30 said:

Hi Shadowmage ! nice to see that you are working on an update... I seems to have an issue with the engines... they don't have any plume and sound.... is that a bug with the 1.8.1 update or is something at my end? I do have all the dependencies installed including real plume.

Indeed, and about time, right? :)

Thx for the report on the engine plumes/sounds.  So far I'm testing with minimal deps, and sounds and plumes are working in stock; but I'll keep it in mind to check the RealPlume stuff before I publish an update.

Managed to make some progress on the icons; put in some hacky guesses at where the light/color multiplication stuff is at, which now gives:

(using albedo multiplication)

8g49rEU.png

Also managed to fix the clipping issues with the icons.  Doing more testing on various aspects; if all goes well, should likely have a release in a few hours.

11 hours ago, raptor30 said:

Hi Shadowmage ! nice to see that you are working on an update... I seems to have an issue with the engines... they don't have any plume and sound.... is that a bug with the 1.8.1 update or is something at my end? I do have all the dependencies installed including real plume.

I tested this a bit and didn't run into any issues; you need to be using both the latest RealPlume and Smokescreen though, as there were some 'recent' changes to both that are needed by SSTU.

1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

Updated release is available; mostly a repack and recompile, but has a few fixes in some of the dependencies (TU/KSPWheel)

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.12.50.162

See the link for change-log and downloads.

thank you for your hard work! this here is one of the most awesome mods that this game has.... I imagine it is hard to maintain but please don't let it die! Thank you again and take care man!

0bCep8e.png

so what can be the problem? I do have all the recent versions of real plume and smokescreen and most of the engines specially the LFO ones don't have any plume and no sound and gives me this error in the console when I activate it... they are acting like the small merlin engine that is activated in the picture.

here is the outputlog file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cl9quIuEV4bnwdvAUHJLD6gikyy9PI98

Edited by raptor30
link to log file

49 minutes ago, raptor30 said:

so what can be the problem? I do have all the recent versions of real plume and smokescreen and most of the engines specially the LFO ones don't have any plume and no sound and gives me this error in the console when I activate it... they are acting like the small merlin engine that is activated in the picture.

You might want to consider posting a player.log link.  I'm sure it would be useful.

1 hour ago, raptor30 said:

0bCep8e.png

here is the outputlog file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cl9quIuEV4bnwdvAUHJLD6gikyy9PI98

I had a similar issue with smokescreen 2.8.9. Reverted to 2.8.7 and the nullrefs were gone. I posted the bug on the smokescreen page here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.