Shadowmage

[WIP][1.7.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Recommended Posts

On 6/9/2019 at 5:29 PM, Teslamax said:

I've noticed several parts have blank action group titles.

The issue exists in both stock action group editing and in AGX.

I've posted issue #872 on GitHub.

DKxuY9m.png?1
 

 

Interesting -- must be something new that they've added in stock code; can't say as I've seen that kind of issue in the past.  Thanks for opening the issue ticket -- will investigate for the next release.

 

On 6/1/2019 at 7:11 PM, 123nick said:

i noticed that the SSTU centrifuges, even when expanded, dont offer any extra habitation or work as a habitation multiplier for USI-LS. would support for USI-LS be possible? 

Currently there is no external mod support (at least not that has been kept up-to-date).  Yes, I would like to add in patches for the most common LS and QOL/utility mods.

So possible -- yes.  Available currently, or in the immediate future, no.  I think that SSTU has reached a 'stable' state as far as features goes though, so likely will start working on proper mod integration patches and example craft in the near future.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

running ksp 1.6.1 and sstu  0.9.44.156 and for some reason..the rs-68 motors, when the launch pad loads up, are loaded and acting as if they're already running, including consuming hydrogen, but strangely enough not oxygen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

running ksp 1.6.1 and sstu  0.9.44.156 and for some reason..the rs-68 motors, when the launch pad loads up, are loaded and acting as if they're already running, including consuming hydrogen, but strangely enough not oxygen...

Using RealPlume by chance?  Any exceptions in the log either during start-up, when grabbing the part in the editor, or when launching a craft using the part?

(really, no clue what could be causing this one, just gathering some info).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

no to real plume, and no problems grabbing the part, this is only evident when on the pad before launch.

lemme toss up the output log(assuming this is what you need) here..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z4crhsn8c4xjjd/output_log.txt?dl=0

 

I'm now waiting trying to solve the fuel switch bug. And I'll try to solve problem when I have some time

Just now, sadina said:

I'm now waiting trying to solve the fuel switch bug. And I'll try to solve problem when I have some time

And I'm now preparing for my own final examination, I'm quiet busy this month, sorry.

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a problem with the interstage petal adapter...specifically the staging.

I'm building a ULA vulcan, and the adapter has two attach points...I'm attaching the upper centaur stage via the engines, to the lower attach node...and I dont know how to configure it to stage properly. I have to trigger the inner payload. how do I set this up so this is what triggers when I hit the staging command eg spacebar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

I'm having a problem with the interstage petal adapter...specifically the staging.

I'm building a ULA vulcan, and the adapter has two attach points...I'm attaching the upper centaur stage via the engines, to the lower attach node...and I dont know how to configure it to stage properly. I have to trigger the inner payload. how do I set this up so this is what triggers when I hit the staging command eg spacebar?

The IPA is specifically intended for use for Apollo type setups, where the inner attach node is for a lander.  It will always decouple after the upper node.

The intended use-case is to use the upper-attach node on the IPA to connect to the interstage-attach node on your engine mount (may need to enable the node on the mount).

Then.. the staging should 'just work'.

Edit:
I'm not sure of the direct answer to your question.  Haven't played KSP in so long, and haven't used that part in even longer... I don't even remember what about it could be causing you problems.  I seem to remember it being quite simple to use and figure out (at least, when used as intended).

Edited by Shadowmage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to manually trigger the inner payload command on the adapter. so..interstage attach node on the engine? ok...lets try that..I've tried everything else, and last thing I want is to use the custom decoupler for the simple reason that I'd have to up the sizing on the core stage..which will throw off the whole build. it already handles like a twitchy little tool during the first half of the ascent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, I do not know how to configure to use with the engine mount's interstage node...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

ok, I do not know how to configure to use with the engine mount's interstage node...

Right click on the engine, and press the 'toggle interstage node' button.  That should enable the interstage node -- this is an attach node that is 'inside' of the engine mount, at the place where the engine mount bevels out to the stack-size chosen.  You should then be able to attach the engine/mount to the top node of the IPA using the interstage node.

I'll try and get some pics of this setup this evening and explain the process.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, thats more or less what I did last two flights, it STILL requires me to right click the part in orbit and trigger the inner payload, which then kicks the motor mount on the upper centaur stage, causing it to skew sideways. if that happened in atmo, I'd be hosed. that said, something's gone snafu there with how it seperates. I swapped out for a payload fairing which functionally does the same exact thing, sans whatever the frell it is with the petal adapter that keeps gimping up on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

I swapped out for a payload fairing which functionally does the same exact thing, sans whatever the frell it is with the petal adapter that keeps gimping up on me.

There very well could be something wrong with that part at the moment -- haven't checked it in quite awhile.  I'll try to do some testing this evening to see what is up, and post some examples if it is all otherwise working.

Would you mind posting a pick of your craft so that I might have an idea what I'm trying to replicate? (in case it is something non-obvious that is causing issues)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gonna be a late evening post if thats ok, I'm presently grinding away in startrek online..double xp weekend and I want these marks off a junker toon..badly.

I'll get you pics with full spec callouts, the color options dont matter..and the payload is a fueled 'controllable' dummy payload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, RaiderMan said:

running ksp 1.6.1 and sstu  0.9.44.156 and for some reason..the rs-68 motors, when the launch pad loads up, are loaded and acting as if they're already running, including consuming hydrogen, but strangely enough not oxygen...

Unable to confirm in a stock install (KSP 1.7.0).  You must have some other mod conflict going on (or version mismatch).  Your log had a ton of exceptions for some fuel switch, which may well be causing the issue, but I did not see any exceptions from SSTU directly, which again points to some other mod causing the issue.  Can you duplicate the issue on an otherwise clean 1.7 install?

DFp7Ova.png

 

3 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

gonna be a late evening post if thats ok, I'm presently grinding away in startrek online..double xp weekend and I want these marks off a junker toon..badly.

I'll get you pics with full spec callouts, the color options dont matter..and the payload is a fueled 'controllable' dummy payload.

Here is how to assemble using the IPA and its top node with space-bar activated staging.

1. Grab your craft with an SSTU engine + mount.
2. Right click the engine + mount, and click 'toggle interstage node'

zrmms8z.png
3. Grab an IPA and extend its length so that the lower/inner node does not interfere with placement

nes50Ea.png

4. Attach the IPA to the interstage node on the mount (it is buried -inside- the mount)
PXmJyv2.png

5. Shorten IPA down to desired length/adjust diameters as desired
o2jKDdv.png

6. Profit!?

For reference the internal node will not be activated through staging -- it is intended to be a right-click or action group function.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I note in my original post..I'm running 1.6.1

that said....if I'm reading your reply otherwise correctly...it sounds like that interstage petal adaptor is NOT intended to be used thusly on a ULA vulcan, or any other rocket aside from a saturn?

 

also...what fuel switch? the only mod I run that has fuel switching(that I'm aware of)..is SSTU, ergo with the mft tank and its jack of all trades ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ultimately I do have a working ula vulcan..soo....

on another topic..

if I update to 1.7.2 and the latest version of sstu its not likely to break any of my sstu craft files is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

ultimately I do have a working ula vulcan..soo....

on another topic..

if I update to 1.7.2 and the latest version of sstu its not likely to break any of my sstu craft files is it?

I don't believe there were any breaking changes between 1.6 and 1.7 -- just bugfixes and QOL improvements.

14 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

that said....if I'm reading your reply otherwise correctly...it sounds like that interstage petal adaptor is NOT intended to be used thusly on a ULA vulcan, or any other rocket aside from a saturn?

You can use it in any rocket you like.  But the inner node is for 'payload', and the upper node is for your rocket and attaches to an interstage node -- its just how the part was designed.

14 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

also...what fuel switch? the only mod I run that has fuel switching(that I'm aware of)

From your log:

InvalidOperationException: Texture  not found!
  at B9PartSwitch.TextureSwitchInfo+<CreateTextureReplacements>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddRange (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype.FindTextureReplacements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype:FindTextureReplacements()
B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype:Setup(ModuleB9PartSwitch)
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:InitializeSubtypes()
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnAwake()
PartModule:Awake()
UnityEngine.Object:Internal_CloneSingle(Object)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
<CompileParts>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Apologies, its B9 Part Switch (which, AFAIK, also does fuel switching).

These errors appear to be related to textures... but any error during loading of a part can cascade errors down to seemingly unrelated systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

havent noticed any issues actually...and the only unresolved issue I have is the petal interstage giving anything that decouples from that inner node a big ol kick in the rear and sending it off into a tumble, but that isnt as critical a problem now, since I've swapped to a payload fairing to serve as an interstage shroud for the centaur.

 

about my question with regards to updating..I asked as back when I upgraded from 1.3.1, it broke my short stack, which was sstu derived, and well...that was alot of work to make work right ^^

Edited by RaiderMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The B9PartSwitch errors exceptions are properly rescued and shouldn't affect anything else.  There was also an issue with how the error message was displayed previously which is now fixed (it's more helpful now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The B9PartSwitch errors exceptions are properly rescued and shouldn't affect anything else.  There was also an issue with how the error message was displayed previously which is now fixed (it's more helpful now)

Good to know :)  Are you internally doing a try/catch on those code blocks that the exception doesn't blow up the outer KSP loading loop?

 

I have a feeling that the issues being encountered are due to version mismatch or other mod/patch conflicts, which are of course not easy to track down simple log files.

 

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

about my question with regards to updating..I asked as back when I upgraded from 1.3.1, it broke my short stack, which was sstu derived, and well...that was alot of work to make work right ^^

Yeah, there were some major changes in SSTU during the 1.4/1.5 update range (IIRC), where pretty much all parts were swapped around to use new modules, given new names, etc.  Since then there have been no breaking changes to the mod; I've intentionally tried to keep things stable and compatible between the KSP updates as much as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to know..I've heard a few good things about 1.7.2 so I'm looking forwards to updating once the lions share of the parts packs I use have been updated (nft, tantares, bdb, sstu) lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

good to know..I've heard a few good things about 1.7.2 so I'm looking forwards to updating once the lions share of the parts packs I use have been updated (nft, tantares, bdb, sstu) lol.

Yeah, seems like it is a fairly stable version.

To note -- SSTU should already be compatible with 1.7.2.  I have not (yet) done a recompile, but the existing version should not have any new issues.  Hoping to push out an update this weekend with a few fixes and integration hooks in it, but no guarantees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hopefully it keeps playing nice with dx9..I cant get either of the other two rendering modes to work without a visit to game crash city as it were..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May be you can try to fix some bugs on the  next update such as the space shuttle's fuselage(no engine).Well, it works well expect the kerbal sit inside the space shuttle is actually looking at the cargo bay...(really weird) and there is no cabin light on the space shuttle.

Just now, sadina said:

May be you can try to fix some bugs on the  next update such as the space shuttle's fuselage(no engine).Well, it works well expect the kerbal sit inside the space shuttle is actually looking at the cargo bay...(really weird) and there is no cabin light on the space shuttle.

And,like I said before. May be you can try to make some to parts to your mod since this version is bug fixing only, so you can some time on it. Oh and another suggestion. The Soyuz's engine RD108 or whatever(I don't remember)doesn't fix any size of the tank when I use the Soyuz stock like nova. The size of the engine need to be change a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, sadina said:

May be you can try to fix some bugs on the  next update such as the space shuttle's fuselage(no engine).Well, it works well expect the kerbal sit inside the space shuttle is actually looking at the cargo bay...(really weird) and there is no cabin light on the space shuttle.

I don't use IVA, so my motivation to fix that is close to zero.  Feel free to figure out whatever weird crap KSP does regarding IVA positions and submit a PR with the fix though; I'll glady take a PR to fix it, but I'm not going to spend the better part of a week trying to figure out whatever retarded stuff KSP is doing regarding IVAs.  I had it working in the past (after spending too much time to figure it out), and then SQUAD broke it.  TLDR -- Contact SQUAD and tell them to fix it.  Not my problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.