Shadowmage

[WIP][1.7.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Recommended Posts

Coming back from a lot hiatus, setting up RSS+RO+RP1 for KSP 1.6.1 and your mod + tweak scale are the only 2 I refuse to play without.

So I've heard some very disturbing rumors stating SSTU is currently not working at all with 1.6.1, is it true? I couldn't find info on it.

Please tell me it ain't so, lol... I miss ksp :'(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked KSP.log which had been pretty clean, now have two errors spamming the log- one is Wild Blue, other is SSTU having issues with Dynamic Battery Storage. Are these SSTU issues or do I need to talk to Nertea?

[EXC 18:58:09.304] TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'DynamicBatteryStorage.SSTUSolarPanelDeployablePowerHandler'.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
	System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.String assemblyName, System.String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] args, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.Object[] activationAttributes, System.Security.Policy.Evidence securityInfo)
	System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.String assemblyName, System.String typeName, System.Object[] activationAttributes)
	System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.String assemblyName, System.String typeName)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselElectricalData.SetupDataHandler (.PartModule pm)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselData.RefreshData (Boolean fromScratch, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vesselParts)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselData..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vesselParts)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselElectricalData..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vesselParts)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselDataManager.RefreshVesselData ()
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselDataManager.FixedUpdate ()

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Checked KSP.log which had been pretty clean, now have two errors spamming the log- one is Wild Blue, other is SSTU having issues with Dynamic Battery Storage. Are these SSTU issues or do I need to talk to Nertea?


[EXC 18:58:09.304] TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'DynamicBatteryStorage.SSTUSolarPanelDeployablePowerHandler'.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
	System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.String assemblyName, System.String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] args, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.Object[] activationAttributes, System.Security.Policy.Evidence securityInfo)
	System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.String assemblyName, System.String typeName, System.Object[] activationAttributes)
	System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.String assemblyName, System.String typeName)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselElectricalData.SetupDataHandler (.PartModule pm)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselData.RefreshData (Boolean fromScratch, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vesselParts)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselData..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vesselParts)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselElectricalData..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vesselParts)
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselDataManager.RefreshVesselData ()
	DynamicBatteryStorage.VesselDataManager.FixedUpdate ()

 

In spite of what that might look like  it is a DynamicBatteryStorage error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

In spite of what that might look like  it is a DynamicBatteryStorage error

Thanks, have posted it over in Nertea's thread also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Teslamax said:

Is this the correct ASL thrust of the J-2X

 

(note that I'm not associated with the mod and am not the one who wrote the config for that part so treat this as conjectural but you should still find it informative)

Good question with no good answer.

A better question would probably be whether it can really be operated at sea level in the first place. Remember it is heavily optimized for vacuum operations. (or at least very high altitude)

Technically its thrust at sea level should be approximately half of its vacuum thrust as with the J-2. I tried to find some sea level statistics for the J-2X and cannot. That information just doesn't exist. What I did find was information on a NASA blog (author Bill Greene) which stated that it couldn't be started on the ground because it would rip the nozzle extension apart. (obviously it is operated on the ground for test fires but has no nozzle extension)

So what the correct answer would be here is tricky. We don't have individually damageable components so can't simulate the result of a destroyed nozzle. The engine this part is based on can't even be operated meaningfully at all at sea level and can't even be throttled below 84%. (actually I'm not even sure it can be throttled between 84-100%; it's either 84% or 100%) So it's pretty limited as to what situations it can be operated in and anywhere near sea level wasn't meant to be one of those situations. So... no. 11 kilo-newtons of thrust is nowhere near correct but being able to operate the engine on the ground isn't correct either. 

Some things have to be abstracted in this game and sea level thrust of a vacuum rated engine is one of them.

(blog post below comparing J-2X to RS-25)

https://blogs.nasa.gov/J2X/2013/08/06/inside-the-leo-doghouse-rs-25-vs-j-2x/

 

Edited by Starwaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 8:37 AM, Starwaster said:

So... no. 11 kilo-newtons of thrust is nowhere near correct but being able to operate the engine on the ground isn't correct either. 

That is pretty much the correct answer.

I could possibly, maybe, put in a custom ISP/thrust curve that was zero until ~>10km, but at the end it would still be a rough approximation of the effect of 'this isn't an engine that can run at sea-level'.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:37 AM, Starwaster said:

Some things have to be abstracted in this game and sea level thrust of a vacuum rated engine is one of them.

Yep.  I've done similar with the ISP/thrust on some of the other vacuum-only engines such as the RL10's, Merlin vacuum variants, etc. 

I thought it was an easily workable abstraction for the effect -- you get a functional engine in the regime it is intended to be used in, and a 'less than fully functional' engine in the regime it is not designed for.  Not perfect, but easy to implement, and 'works'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 1:43 PM, Gremillion said:

Anybody know if the SSTU expansion pack allows its dependencies/recommended mods to work with RSS/RO? I'd love to use BDB again but I'm in an RO-only build right now.

Unfortunately I cannot provide any answers there.  I don't think that expansion pack has been maintained in recent years.  Both SSTU and BDB have been through many revisions since then, and I would actually be amazed if it worked at all.

Notably SSTU uses a different PartModule for the modular part system than it did in the past, so any patches that use that old module would be broken (which I'm guessing is that entire expansion pack).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More of the Artemis Program in RSS.  SSTU components used to create a Atlas V 500 series commercial launch vehicle, using 1st stage  RD-180 engine with maxthrust of 4,152 kN, and second stage RL10C-1 with maxthrust of 106kN in vacuum, and a Cygnus ISS resupply module.  I also made an Atlas V 300 series suitable for single 1.4 ton payload launch. (not shown).

 

 

 

Edited by jinnantonix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SpeedShot7 said:

Whenever I right click on a part I've placed from sstu, the detail screen opens up but I can close it. I'm using 1.6.1

Most likely there are errors interfering with proper functioning of the mod.

First, I would suggest updating to the latest versions of KSP and SSTU; I cannot really support old versions, and I'm not aware of any legitimate reason to be using an older version of KSP.

Second, if you would like further direct support, I will need a copy of your KSP.log file, which should contain more information regarding the errors.  This file can be found in the same directory as the KSP executable on Windows.  Upload the file to a file-sharing site like dropbox/google drive/etc, and post the link here.  With luck, the log will tell us exactly what needs to be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, Shadowmage said:

That is pretty much the correct answer.

I could possibly, maybe, put in a custom ISP/thrust curve that was zero until ~>10km, but at the end it would still be a rough approximation of the effect of 'this isn't an engine that can run at sea-level'.

Yep.  I've done similar with the ISP/thrust on some of the other vacuum-only engines such as the RL10's, Merlin vacuum variants, etc. 

I thought it was an easily workable abstraction for the effect -- you get a functional engine in the regime it is intended to be used in, and a 'less than fully functional' engine in the regime it is not designed for.  Not perfect, but easy to implement, and 'works'.

Sounds fine with me. At first the differences between the J-2 and the J-2X sounded like one must be in error, but the more I learned the less that seemed to be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, Shadowmage said:

Most likely there are errors interfering with proper functioning of the mod.

First, I would suggest updating to the latest versions of KSP and SSTU; I cannot really support old versions, and I'm not aware of any legitimate reason to be using an older version of KSP.

Second, if you would like further direct support, I will need a copy of your KSP.log file, which should contain more information regarding the errors.  This file can be found in the same directory as the KSP executable on Windows.  Upload the file to a file-sharing site like dropbox/google drive/etc, and post the link here.  With luck, the log will tell us exactly what needs to be fixed.

Here's the log from when I did it recently. I'm thinking the issue is TU.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j76n_r-HhxJ8eeh_Vj9G5OYlYKk41TVJ/view?usp=sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.