[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

On 10/9/2016 at 2:10 PM, Temeter said:

Btw, anyone noticed that jimbodiahs avatar looks like an evil version of shadowmages?

LOL!

This uses the Orion CMX as the pod part of my Near Future shuttles. It's my favorite build in KSP, I make them in all my saves in one form or another as they are practical and very kerbal-like with their big heads and all.

jimbodiah_161011.jpg
click to enlarge

7 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

LOL!

This uses the Orion CMX as the pod part of my Near Future shuttles. It's my favorite build in KSP, I make them in all my saves in one form or another as they are practical and very kerbal-like with their big heads and all.

And that engine! Magnetron whateverythingy driven crafts are the best.

1 hour ago, JoseEduardo said:

btw, will a double version of it be available? (namely the Spacelab one from Eyes Turned Skywards)

although that seems to fall on the same case as Salyut 7, it seems that in their storyline these panels were added later

The art for ETS (speaking as someone who recently read through the thread, as well as having studied the art a lot for reference) is very inconsistent. it's also telling that the second image does not appear as a canon image on the wiki.

1 hour ago, JoseEduardo said:

oooh, shiny :)

btw, will a double version of it be available? (namely the Spacelab one from Eyes Turned Skywards)

Yes, but it may not be exactly what you are looking for (from the images, the double-length panel would not have folded up properly and likely didn't launch like that / was added through EVA).  Was actually in the middle of working on it when you posted.

Have also added the initial AO bake for these parts and the initial mounting geometry.

(yes, I make all my animations the same length/duration....)

6QIiiRB.gif

Whenever I try to launch an SLS with Orion, the main booster stage seems to not have enough fuel to place Orion in an orbit. Is there anything I could do? (P.S. I can get an apoapsis of ~100KM but the stage runs out of fuel and the second stage engine is for vacuum and doesn't have enough power for an orbital insertion)

-Thank you in advance for responses

2 minutes ago, Goat Master said:

Whenever I try to launch an SLS with Orion, the main booster stage seems to not have enough fuel to place Orion in an orbit. Is there anything I could do? (P.S. I can get an apoapsis of ~100KM but the stage runs out of fuel and the second stage engine is for vacuum and doesn't have enough power for an orbital insertion)

Well, uh, the main core isn't supposed to place it all the way into orbit. Re: the second stage engine not being powerful enough to circularize before falling back: Use a flatter ascent profile along the lines of what the GravityTurn mod does, that will allow you to get more horizontal velocity out of your core stage, and won't require a second stage with a large TWR

29 minutes ago, Goat Master said:

What's your liftoff TWR?  How long are the boosters?  You should have more than enough fuel, especially in the tiny stock solar system.

26 minutes ago, blowfish said:

What's your liftoff TWR?  How long are the boosters?  You should have more than enough fuel, especially in the tiny stock solar system.

52 minutes ago, StickyScissors said:

Well, uh, the main core isn't supposed to place it all the way into orbit. Re: the second stage engine not being powerful enough to circularize before falling back: Use a flatter ascent profile along the lines of what the GravityTurn mod does, that will allow you to get more horizontal velocity out of your core stage, and won't require a second stage with a large TWR

I'm not sure of the TWR, I fixed the problem, it turns out that I placed the main core tanks the wrong way (I used two smaller ones instead of one large one) so I fixed it and now I have more than enough than enough fuel. Thanks guys!

Before I get to my question, I am very needy because of my lack of KSP knowledge. But, when I make a Delta IV Heavy with Orion, the RS-68 engines seem to not have enough weight. My TWR at launch is only .94 and the rocket starts and just tips over. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your guys' help with my problems.

1 hour ago, Goat Master said:

Before I get to my question, I am very needy because of my lack of KSP knowledge. But, when I make a Delta IV Heavy with Orion, the RS-68 engines seem to not have enough weight. My TWR at launch is only .94 and the rocket starts and just tips over. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your guys' help with my problems.

Just to be clear since you didn't provide any information.

The RS-68s and Fuel tanks are coming from SSTU and you are not running other mods (SMURFFS  RSS or RO being the prime ones I am thinking of right now.)

With 3 CCB boosters and RS-68s you should have TOO MUCH power.   a .94 is an very good TWR for a Fighterplane where the wings provide the lift.  it is a HORRIBLE TWR for a VTOL or a Rocket.

As Jimbodiah stated in the post above, did you  throttle up?

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Goat Master said:

I just tried it... I get the same result with the RS-68 using the default 3.75m diameter, and I even tried the RS-25 at 3.25m (closer to 64% of Delta IV Heavy).

I can kerbalize it, and easily get to orbit with just the boosters by making it too stubby. (shorten all the booster tanks).

15 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Just to be clear since you didn't provide any information.

The RS-68s and Fuel tanks are coming from SSTU and you are not running other mods (SMURFFS  RSS or RO being the prime ones I am thinking of right now.)

With 3 CCB boosters and RS-68s you should have TOO MUCH power.   a .94 is an very good TWR for a Fighterplane where the wings provide the lift.  it is a HORRIBLE TWR for a VTOL or a Rocket.

As Jimbodiah stated in the post above, did you  throttle up?

Did you try making one to scale?

Edited by tater

With the booster tanks to B-4-0 length, I can get to LKO with almost 6000 dv left over. B-4-5 gets off the pad and does fine, though it starts very slow, B-5-0 has to run a while before getting the TWR to get off the pad at all. Note that I didn't even use the SM, just interim upper stage and the capsule/LES---with the SM, the 2 longer ones likely don't leave the pad. The longest that works is still really stubby looking.

Scale stuff for the stock game tends to be stubby.

Edited by tater

Well, about time I posted here again. Hope this mod is coming along well. I decided to get the Nova addon pack and see if I can get a more accurate representation of the SpaceX ITS.

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

@blowfish Only Nertea does this with hit tanks IIRC, SSTU should not be a problem. I've launched hundreds of full scale Delta IV heavies in KSP without issues.

With Orion and IUS on top? I made one last night because I expected it to just work easily, and was sort of surprised when my TWR was below 1.

Maybe Mage altered the engine specs? Haven't really flown RS68s since 1.0.5.  btw: are you only using the main core or the Heavy version with two RS68 boosters? Just the core with a HUS/Orion will indeed not get off the ground.

Hmmm. I just rebuilt one to check it out, but I get around 1.01 now (5.5 tanks), so I think the engine specs were changed at some point.

Edited by Jimbodiah

8 hours ago, blowfish said:

I think the double density liquid hydrogen might be messing with things a bit here.  The tanks will be proportionally much smaller than they would be on the real thing.

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

@blowfish Only Nertea does this with hit tanks IIRC, SSTU should not be a problem. I've launched hundreds of full scale Delta IV heavies in KSP without issues.

Indeed, that is exactly what you are seeing with the D-IV; it needs to be stubbier because of the double density LqdHydrogen.  You can thank other mods for that....  I'm still not happy with it and will likely be reverting it.

No, the engines have not been changed in a long time, what you are seeing is purely because of the fuel density.

Initial selection of blanket style solar panels.  Had a few more variants planned, and I may still do them, but perhaps not immediately. 

g96tmZV.gif

And here are the updated/retouched rigid solar panel models (showing the panel back-side coloration, don't think I have shown it yet):

2msBCAG.gif

Going to clean up these a bit more (some minor geometry bits need UV'd and textured), and then will be spending the rest of the week on general cleanup and bugfixing work.  Aiming to have a fairly stable/usable initial 1.2 release.

11 hours ago, tater said:

Did you try making one to scale?

Not trying to sound snippy or go off on a rant but HOW would you make one to Scale?  Scale requires a size reference (tape measure) in game that is adjustable to the size of the object you wish to make,   I looked at a Picture, Guessed the correct length for the CCB, made 2x copies and radially attached, Viola Delta IV Heavy.

To be clear, There is no handy reference in KSP for how long a CCB tank, or an Atlas tank or a S-IC/S-1D tank etc. etc. etc. should be. It is not like KSP puts a perfect .64 scale picture on each wall of that profile so I can just chug blocks together.   

38 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Aiming to have a fairly stable/usable initial 1.2 release.

WOW! those are some nice looking panels.    I will have to wait until your next release before I start my new Career!

Edited by Pappystein

8 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Not trying to sound snippy or go off on a rant but HOW would you make one to Scale?  Scale requires a size reference (tape measure) in game that is adjustable to the size of the object you wish to make,   I looked at a Picture, Guessed the correct length for the CCB, made 2x copies and radially attached, Viola Delta IV Heavy.

To be clear, There is no handy reference in KSP for how long a CCB tank, or an Atlas tank or a S-IC/S-1D tank etc. etc. etc. should be. It is not like KSP puts a perfect .64 scale picture on each wall of that profile so I can just chug blocks together.   

Its not that complicated at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Booster_Core

Lists the CBC at 40.8m tall.  Scaled by x0.64 = 26.112m

Since the MFT tanks come in multiples of their diameter, it is easy to find the right length tank for that setup.  26.112 / 3.75 = 6.96 (round to ~7).  So, the tank used should be the MFT-7-0 (or shorter), at 3.75m diameter.  Might do a 6-0 or 6-5 as I believe the 40.8/26.112 measurement includes both the engine and nosecone (even a 5-5 might be okay).

TL;DR -- use the tanks themselves as a tape measure :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.