[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Did any of you guys have the issue where you get the HABs in orbit and get it inflated and transfer the crew into it, and then they DO NOT show up in the GUI to transfer them back out? When i finally got all the stuff up there last night, thats the first thing i did and i noticed the crew is not there anymore (When inside the HAB).

@tater did you do anything different when you inflated the habs, or was it just Rocket parts and thats it? as in it didnt require any other type of resource. For some reason my kerbal disappear into the HAB never to be seen again :P  ill do a fresh install, see if that fixes it, most likely its something that i did wrong.   

6 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

"You can check out any time you like, but, you can never leave."

Was is Bob or Bill that brought a Eagles tape to this party :P

13 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

@tater did you do anything different when you inflated the habs, or was it just Rocket parts and thats it? as in it didnt require any other type of resource. For some reason my kerbal disappear into the HAB never to be seen again :P  ill do a fresh install, see if that fixes it, most likely its something that i did wrong.   

Just tried with a fresh CFG-D. Works fine. I cheated, and put the hab in orbit with a huge parts tank to inflate it. Then went back to KSC, and cheat-rendezvoused an orion, and docked. Transferred crew, and back again.

My other station was largely assembled when I inflated it. This test was nothing but the CFG-D as-is from the VAB. Docking with a spinning hab right at the hub looks scary as hell. Part of me wants to crash into the spokes now... just to see what happens. 

Spokes are non-interactive. Crew tubes from hub have colliders.

Edited by tater

57 minutes ago, ridik58 said:

Hello sorry for my english
I have a problem with the tanks, I can not change the diameter
thank you in advance

Sorry I missed this. You are in Sandbox. You need to go to difficulty settings (in game from Esc) and select the option to apply all part upgrades.

41 minutes ago, acc said:

The SSTU-ST-HAB-D is missing in the latest version (0.5.33.129 @ KSP 1.2.1 x64)

There has been no HAB-D for a while now. The HAB parts are substantially reworked with the previous release. Read the release notes at github.

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases

Edited by tater

34 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

http://imgur.com/5DO9kBV

Still cant seem to get the crew out of the HAB,  Any suggestions guys? Jeb Bill and Bob are stuck in the CFG. 

update:  ok  i finally got it to work. Just like i thought  my own dang fault. :P 

Was going to mention that since there is no IVA there will be no crew portraits; the only way to get them out is to right click on the part and select 'Transfer Crew'.

48 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Jesus Kerman, @SQUAD, please fix this already and micropatch it.

Yea, its getting old, isn't it?  Almost wish I had not moved over to the stock upgrade system....

2 hours ago, tater said:

The Tori should have substantial SAS... they are gyroscopes, after all.

On a single axis only.  These things would actually play hell with the rest of the vessels attitude control (re: gyroscopic precession), and would likely only be spun up during coast phases.  They would be a great 'stabalizing' force, but would act against any external forces in undesired ways, and would be hard to use as a source of control.

13 hours ago, tater said:

The mechanic of loading the parts into the inflatables, then inflating only when enough are aboard is great, @Shadowmage. The only addition might be an indicator on the un-inflated part to show the amount of rocket parts vs total needed. Not at all critical, though, but I play in fits and starts, so sometimes I forget what I have flown already.

Noted, will investigate adding some display of the parts added / still needed.

Have just published an updated release of:

Will be moving onto wheels/physics stuff for the next couple of weeks (or until it is finished).  Have been putting it off for too long, and with having a bit of time off work, now is probably the best chance I'll have to get some real work done on it. 

During this time I will continue to work on balance and general cleanup of SSTU a bit (configs/textures/code) , but won't be adding any new parts or features, and will only be posting updated releases for serious bugfixes.

As soon as I have the wheel stuff working I'll be returning to concentrate on SSTU balance and cleanup, moving the mod towards a more stable state, finishing off half-implemented features, and working on better mod-integration for several other mods.

15 hours ago, thomash said:

Holy moly!  Those rings are outstanding!  Perfect timing too.  I've been working on a SSTU station and was thinking that I would just assume that gravity would be created by magic.  

I think I found a bug.  Three FR type fairings cannot be rescaled.  Right-clicking only reveals the thrust level scale. 

In addition to the fairing issue, the seats in the 3-man pod are backwards, as such the backs of the seats block the bottom row of buttons on the MFDs.

The solar stuff is still indestructible, is that intended, or on a todo list (I checked the todo list at github, and didn't see it, though perhaps I just skimmed over it).

Yeah, SAS isn't really the right term, because that would let you point it anyplace in KSP. The stability aspect of SAS in the game is what I was after, not the control. You could control a torus somewhat by adjusting the counter-rotation, and precess it, though.

Can someone tell me what i can and cannot delete as to only keep 3 parts, the"sstu-lc2-pod" sstu-sc-tank-mft-l-lander tank" and "sstu-gen-dp-1p dockingport"

tried to delete but i just can seem to get the right combination i always miss something. so if anyone knows please do let me know

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Yea, its getting old, isn't it?  Almost wish I had not moved over to the stock upgrade system....

Can this be set with MM? If so, you could just add a patch with SSTU to force it to enabled. I don't see anyone running a sandbox save with this turned off anyway.

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Can this be set with MM? If so, you could just add a patch with SSTU to force it to enabled. I don't see anyone running a sandbox save with this turned off anyway.

No, it's in the save file, and the default value is hard-coded.  I don't think there's an easy way to override it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.