[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

I may have overlooked something, but I'm just not seeing it concerning the SC-E orbiter. In the VAB and SPH, the orbiter landing gear deploy, but there is no option to retract in the editor. The gear on the wings do not deploy at all, again with no toggle option in the editor. On the runway, it seems there is no colliders on the front landing gear, and still no option to retract.

I'm sure I missed installing something correctly, as there are no mentions of this issue on github or this thread. Everything else works correctly, besides the gear on the SC-E. Any thoughts?

Edit: Disregard, I think I've got it. I installed the wheel configs/plugin linked earlier in the thread. Seems to be working correctly. :)

Edited by Trench_Sweeper
Found fix

On 12/28/2016 at 9:23 AM, tater said:

You can adjust the vertical position of the SSTU engines in the right click to bury them if you wish.

On 12/28/2016 at 10:46 AM, Shadowmage said:

Ding, Ding!  We have a winner :)

DUM DUM DUMmmmmmmm!   I KNEW I was forgetting to do something! 

Thanks for the reminder.  I have not played with that feature since I first started using SSTU before the Agena engine was even in the mod.

@AbhChallenger  Sorry I didn't mention that to you!   Thanks @tater and @Shadowmage

On 12/26/2016 at 6:21 PM, Shadowmage said:

Stock does not support run-time RCS model swapping, so there is no ability to have a switchable option for them (still looking at potential solutions to this, but I wouldn't expect anything for a few months).

However, the way that I have defined those models allows for end-users to edit/patch the parts and replace the RCS with the models of their choice (e.g. the RCS are defined through the equivalent of MODEL nodes, and can be changed without editing the meshes).  If you would like more information on this let me know and I can show you what the patches would look like, but also please note that such modifications are unsupported and you are on your own beyond showing what the basic patch syntax is.

Thanks.. it's not a biggie as I can just disable the module's RCS and add the orthogonal thrusters.

When I'm more curious, I'll have a look at the parts thing

:)

10 hours ago, Dave-Daring said:

I noticed a week or so ago that the Stock Mono tanks & 2 boosters had vanished from my KSP. After 3 clean re-installs & a process of elimination I have found that SSTU is resposible.

Did you install the optional patch set?  If yes, did you look at what was in those patches before you installed them, or read the release notes regarding what they did?

From the release notes:

* Add a separate SSTU-OptionalPatches folder to distribution. These are a set of potentially destructive patches, but also contain some cool stuff (better USI and NF integration, editor parts list bloat cleanup). Very much WIP. WARNING Only install before starting a new game; adding these patches to an in-progress game will likely destroy all of your craft (lots of part removals).

2 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

I've been using this mod for awhile now, currently I'm playing with RSS/SMURFF/Real Fuels (stockalike).  I've noticed the SSTU engines don't simulate ullage or limited ignitions.  Are there configs out there somewhere for this?  

That is a question for the RO/RealFuels thread.  I do not use or support RO/RSS/etc, and do not make or provide patches for those mods.

2 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

I've been using this mod for awhile now, currently I'm playing with RSS/SMURFF/Real Fuels (stockalike).  I've noticed the SSTU engines don't simulate ullage or limited ignitions.  Are there configs out there somewhere for this?  

ullage and limited ignitions are something only Real Fuel does and you need a patch for the specific engines in order to have them working, and these are maintained by the RF/RO folks, not by modders

20 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

That is a question for the RO/RealFuels thread.  I do not use or support RO/RSS/etc, and do not make or provide patches for those mods.

14 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

ullage and limited ignitions are something only Real Fuel does and you need a patch for the specific engines in order to have them working, and these are maintained by the RF/RO folks, not by modders

Thanks.  I thought that might be the case.  I appreciate the response and the great work on this mod.  

Not gonna lie I really hate how low Thrust to weight all these engines. 
I had to put 5 SC-ENG LMAE on just the basic LC2 lander pod before I generated enough thrust to lift to equal just barely over 1 it's making it impossible to build anything without needing to spam engines on everything and since it's overriding the old engines I can't even use those so I may just have to uninstall the mod to be able to play career mode which sucks cuz I like the looks of a lot of the parts, capsules and the multipurpose fuel tank

58 minutes ago, Ardail said:

Not gonna lie I really hate how low Thrust to weight all these engines. 
I had to put 5 SC-ENG LMAE on just the basic LC2 lander pod before I generated enough thrust to lift to equal just barely over 1 it's making it impossible to build anything without needing to spam engines on everything and since it's overriding the old engines I can't even use those so I may just have to uninstall the mod to be able to play career mode which sucks cuz I like the looks of a lot of the parts, capsules and the multipurpose fuel tank

Try removing the SSTU-Optional Patches folder; this will restore your stock engines and fuel tanks.  It helps to look at optional patches before you install them to see if they are actually something that you need or want.

The engines are based on real-world engines, and as such, their performance may not be up to stock 'gamey' standards.  Expect generally lower TWR on most vacuum engines compared to stock equivalent engines.

However, the LMAE is also perfectly capable of lifting the LC2-POD on Mun, minmus, or other low gravity worlds.  Keep in mind you do NOT need a Kerbin-TWR of >1 for a lander, except for specific cases (really only Eve landers).  Mun has far lower gravity than Kerbin, and as such a far less powerful engine is needed.

This example uses the LMAE, and has a TWR of >1.5 on the Mun, more than plenty for an ascent.

sarP2xU.png

Even adding a descent stage with an LMDE, it still has plenty of TWR (>1.5) (note that I didn't add legs or science bits, which will drop your TWR slightly, but should still be plenty for landing and ascent):
u76Iwop.png

Certainly you can gain some efficiency in your ascent/descent by using more powerful engines with higher TWR, but that is at the cost of higher launch mass and dry mass of the lander, which may counter the added fuel required for the less efficient lower twr landing (if it does or not will vary depending upon craft design, solar system scale, ascent profile, landing target, etc).

I know that these craft work because I have recently used very similar designs to these in my career game, and a setup similar to what is shown is sufficient for Mun landing+ascent (can almost be done with the ascent stage alone).

(Note to self:  Remove optional patches from distro, as apparently nobody bothers reading release notes or investigating what the optional patches do before installing them)

35 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

(Note to self:  Remove optional patches from distro, as apparently nobody bothers reading release notes or investigating what the optional patches do before installing them)

I happen to like the optional patches.

Hello, 

Really liking these parts. The new fuels and engines are a nice mix with the stock parts for a wider variation. Especially like the procedural nature of the tanks and engines. 

I am however experiencing an issue that briefly came up about 9 months ago. I have no Hypergolic fuel options, anywhere. Not your tanks or any others. Now, this wasnt always the case, and I sure it is due to a mod conflict, but as of yet I have not been able to pinpoint which mod. I dont use RSS or RO. Right now my suspicion is KSP-IE or Interstellar Fuel Switch. Ive bounced MM 2.7.5 around from a few other mods and had it working at one point, but then installed another mod with new MM patch and lost it again. 

I also had to make a small alteration to your fairing cfg files. The max diameter was very low I think 7m for 6.5m part. It was an easy tweak, but something you may consider changing in a future version. 

On 12/30/2016 at 5:04 PM, Shadowmage said:

I also rather like your optional patches, maybe move them outside of the game data folder in the download?

By modding Part Upgrades into SSTU Engines, I found out a possible bug. It seems SSTU engines will not have upgrades applied to ModuleEnginesFX during flight, although strangely they show up correctly in the Editor. Or perhaps SSTU needs an extra upgrade patched into another module for that? To replicate it all that is needed is to create any patch with upgrades that change maxThrust or Isp for any SSTU Engine. Here is the patch as an example, cropped to only one of the upgrades:

Spoiler

@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-LR81-8096|FASAAgena_Engine|bluedog_AgenaD]
{
	%SMURFFExclude = True
	%IndividuallyPriced = True
	@title = XLR81 Series
	@mass = 0.132
	@maxTemp = 1973.15
	@cost = 600

MODULE
	{
		name = PartStatsUpgradeModule
		showUpgradesInModuleInfo = true
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE 
			{
				name__ = SRP0_LR81-8096L
				description__ = 8096L: raises cost by 100.
				techRequired__ = veryHeavyRocketry
				IsExclusiveUpgrade__ = true
				PartStats
				{
					cost = 100
				}
			}			
		}		
	}		

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@maxThrust = 71
        %minThrust = 71
		@heatProduction = 100
		@PROPELLANT,0
		{
			@name = Aerozine50
			@ratio = 0.5
			%DrawGauge = true
		}
		@PROPELLANT,1
		{
            @name = NTO
			@ratio = 0.5
		}
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 291
			@key,1 = 1 100
		}
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE 
			{
				name__ = SRP0_LR81-8096L
				description__ = 8096L: 71.1kN thrust, 324s Vac & 75 ASL Isp.
				maxThrust = 71.1
                minThrust = 71.1
				atmosphereCurve
				{
					key = 0 324
					key = 1 75
				}
			}			
		}		
	} 
}

PARTUPGRADE
{
	name = SRP0_LR81-8096L
	partIcon = SSTU-SC-ENG-LR81-8096
	title = XLR81 Series Upgrade: Model 8096L
	description = Reusable gas-generator hypergolic vacuum engine designed for the Space Transportation System, the most efficient XLR81 model.
	techRequired = veryHeavyRocketry
	entryCost = 15000
}

It applies to two other parts from other mods based on the same real engine. On the other parts it works correctly in the editor and during flight, but with the SSTU LR81 engine, while changes to mass and cost work, something else happens to anything involving changes in thrust or Isp:

In the Editor the upgraded stats show up correctly.

However, during flight, under any circumstances, the upgrades are ignored.

Same is happening to all other SSTU engines I tried to implement upgrades changing stats of the ModuleEnginesFX. Another detail that might be important is that the text detailing the changes to engine stats only appear in non-SSTU parts. So, did I miss some SSTU-specific module that also needs to have upgrades added to or is this a bug?

11 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Hello, 

Really liking these parts. The new fuels and engines are a nice mix with the stock parts for a wider variation. Especially like the procedural nature of the tanks and engines. 

I am however experiencing an issue that briefly came up about 9 months ago. I have no Hypergolic fuel options, anywhere. Not your tanks or any others. Now, this wasnt always the case, and I sure it is due to a mod conflict, but as of yet I have not been able to pinpoint which mod. I dont use RSS or RO. Right now my suspicion is KSP-IE or Interstellar Fuel Switch. Ive bounced MM 2.7.5 around from a few other mods and had it working at one point, but then installed another mod with new MM patch and lost it again. 

I also had to make a small alteration to your fairing cfg files. The max diameter was very low I think 7m for 6.5m part. It was an easy tweak, but something you may consider changing in a future version. 

Thanks for the interest :)

Hypergolic fuels -- yes, using other fuel-switching mods is likely the culprit here, though the only one that should effect SSTU is RealFuels or ModularFuelTanks (unless other mods have incorrect patches which are trying to be applied to the MFT tanks).  If you can narrow down which mod is causing conflicts, please let me know so that I can investigate in full and look for potential solutions.

Fairing diamters -- are you referring to the base size, or the fairing size relative to the base?  Base size should cap out at 10m through unlocks/upgrades.  Fairing size relative to the base though is capped at the width of the base / base extension intentionally -- this is done to introduce some complexity and though regarding fairing use; you can't just slap a 2.5m base fairing around a 10m payload, you need to use a rocket size more appropriate to the payload being delivered.

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Sudragon said:

I happen to like the optional patches.

2 hours ago, Akira_R said:

I also rather like your optional patches, maybe move them outside of the game data folder in the download?

Oh, they'll still be around in some fashion, but likely won't be included in the distribution (will have to download directly from github, or download as a separate .zip).

They are still pretty early in the development cycle, but will eventually be the 'SSTU-Gameplay-Conversion' that had been discussed a bit... might even add a custom tech-tree at some point.  May also be the first-pass distribution for prototype parts, so new parts exist only in the 'SSTU-Optional' pack until they have been finished.

1 hour ago, NotTheRealRMS said:

By modding Part Upgrades into SSTU Engines, I found out a possible bug. It seems SSTU engines will not have upgrades applied to ModuleEnginesFX during flight, although strangely they show up correctly in the Editor. Or perhaps SSTU needs an extra upgrade patched into another module for that? To replicate it all that is needed is to create any patch with upgrades that change maxThrust or Isp for any SSTU Engine. Here is the patch as an example, cropped to only one of the upgrades:

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-LR81-8096|FASAAgena_Engine|bluedog_AgenaD]
{
	%SMURFFExclude = True
	%IndividuallyPriced = True
	@title = XLR81 Series
	@mass = 0.132
	@maxTemp = 1973.15
	@cost = 600

MODULE
	{
		name = PartStatsUpgradeModule
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE 
			{
				name__ = SRP0_LR81-8096L
				description__ = 8096L: raises cost by 100.
				PartStats
				{
					cost = 100
				}
			}			
		}		
	}		

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@maxThrust = 71
        %minThrust = 71
		@heatProduction = 100
		@PROPELLANT,0
		{
			@name = Aerozine50
			@ratio = 0.5
			%DrawGauge = true
		}
		@PROPELLANT,1
		{
            @name = NTO
			@ratio = 0.5
		}
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 291
			@key,1 = 1 100
		}
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE 
			{
				name__ = SRP0_LR81-8096L
				description__ = 8096L: 71.1kN thrust, 324s Vac & 75 ASL Isp.
				maxThrust = 71.1
                minThrust = 71.1
				atmosphereCurve
				{
					key = 0 324
					key = 1 75
				}
			}			
		}		
	} 
}

PARTUPGRADE
{
	name = SRP0_LR81-8096L
	partIcon = SSTU-SC-ENG-LR81-8096
	title = XLR81 Series Upgrade: Model 8096L
	description = Reusable gas-generator hypergolic vacuum engine designed for the Space Transportation System, the most efficient XLR81 model.
	techRequired = veryHeavyRocketry
	entryCost = 15000
}

It applies to two other parts from other mods based on the same real engine. On the other parts it works correctly in the editor and during flight, but with the SSTU LR81 engine, while changes to mass and cost work, something else happens to anything involving changes in thrust or Isp:

In the Editor the upgraded stats show up correctly.

However, during flight, under any circumstances, the upgrades are ignored.

Same is happening to all other SSTU engines I tried to implement upgrades changing stats of the ModuleEnginesFX. Another detail that might be important is that the text detailing the changes to engine stats only appear in non-SSTU parts. So, did I miss some SSTU-specific module that also needs to have upgrades added to or is this a bug?

I think you are hitting on a limitation of the stock part / config system.

I've had to make assumptions and workarounds to the fact that the stock code -never- passes in the root config node after prefab initialization.  Basically I have to cache the entire part config -at the time of prefab creation- and use that to derive the engine-cluster stat upgrades when cluster # is switched.

The problem there is that the cached data never gets updated from the stock PartUpgrade code, as all it does is some hacky back-end updating of the variables on the live part-modules in the editor/in flight, it never at any point updates the config nodes for the part or re-passes those updated config nodes back into the part-modules so that they can be processed / values re-loaded.

Honestly there might not be any clean solutions to this; certainly not with the current ModularEngineCluster code.  What I would need is a way to determine the 'base' stats for the engine, at the time of part instantiation, prior to the MEC code running, and cache those base/raw stats on a 'per-part-instance' basis, using those to derive the engine cluster stats.

(Actually its been so long since I've worked on that module, I'm looking into it now.  Might not be as difficult as I'm imagining, all depends on how hacky the workarounds I currently have in place are.  I -do- want to get this fixed and working though as I intend to create a set of upgrades for most of the engines to upgrade various stats during career progression.  Will update/edit/post when I know more about what it will take.)

Edit:  Looking closer at the code, it -should- all be working.  I currently grab the ModuleEngines* base thrust stats during the PartModules Start() method (ensuring the engine module has had onload and onstart callled on it).  At this point the upgrades -should- have already been applied, so the MEC should be grabbing the post-upgrade-modified-base-stats and using those to determine cluster thrust #'s, but apparently there is something weird going on.  Will have to do a bit more investigation on the PartUpgrade code to see when/where in the PartModule start-up cycle that the upgrades are applied and when it is safe to grab values from the part-modules.

Edited by Shadowmage

Hi i got a modlist and when i try to put SSTU tank to vessel its wobble and stack over flow exception happens 
KSP.log is full of Part.onAttach (.Part parent, Boolean first) if its necessary i will upload it too.

Game version 1.2.2

SSTU version 0.5.34.131(latest)

Modlist : 
https://gyazo.com/e0703c3f8e1932220cf11175668c3d59
https://gyazo.com/4af0261c61acca28c79954cd349d2de7

6 minutes ago, AlimOncul said:

Hi i got a modlist and when i try to put SSTU tank to vessel its wobble and stack over flow exception happens 
KSP.log is full of Part.onAttach (.Part parent, Boolean first) if its necessary i will upload it too.

Game version 1.2.2

SSTU version 0.5.34.131(latest)

Modlist : 
https://gyazo.com/e0703c3f8e1932220cf11175668c3d59
https://gyazo.com/4af0261c61acca28c79954cd349d2de7

Thanks for the report;

Please upload the log files as well, as without them I cannot possibly tell what is going on / going wrong.  Also helps if you can try and duplicate the problem with only SSTU parts, on a stock+SSTU install (otherwise the problem is likely related to other mods).

13 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks for the report;

Please upload the log files as well, as without them I cannot possibly tell what is going on / going wrong.  Also helps if you can try and duplicate the problem with only SSTU parts, on a stock+SSTU install (otherwise the problem is likely related to other mods).

I was in 1.2.1 and today i updated most of my mods with a clean install its most likely related to other mods

here is ksp.log file : https://yadi.sk/i/kqjRv50136mSg2

2 minutes ago, AlimOncul said:

I was in 1.2.1 and today i updated most of my mods with a clean install its most likely related to other mods

here is ksp.log file : https://yadi.sk/i/kqjRv50136mSg2

Your problem is apparently related to install / configs / resources.

1.)  Make sure you have the latest CRP installed.  Make sure it is the latest CRP (the one included with SSTU is apparently not up-to-date for some resources needed in the optional patch set).

2.)  If you are using the SSTU-OptionalPatches set of patches, you also should have UKS/MKS installed.

What is happening is that the MFT tanks are attempting to load some resources that do not exist (ColonySupplies), which causes KSP code to freak out, which then causes everything else to explode.

Install the latest CRP release and your problems should go away  ( https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/releases/download/0.6.4.0/CRP_0.6.4.0.zip ).

You can see all this in the log-file (I'm not sure why I even need to read most logs, the vast majority of issues have the errors listed in plain english for those who bother to read through it):

[ERR 00:10:01.869] Module SSTUVolumeContainer threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Resource definition was null for name: ColonySupplies
  at SSTUTools.SubContainerDefinition..ctor (SSTUTools.ContainerDefinition container, System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SSTUTools.ContainerDefinition..ctor (SSTUTools.SSTUVolumeContainer module, .ConfigNode node, Single tankTotalVolume) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SSTUTools.SSTUVolumeContainer.loadConfigData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SSTUTools.SSTUVolumeContainer.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(On that note, I'll make sure to update the bundled CRP to the latest with the next SSTU release)

5 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Your problem is apparently related to install / configs / resources.

1.)  Make sure you have the latest CRP installed.  Make sure it is the latest CRP (the one included with SSTU is apparently not up-to-date for some resources needed in the optional patch set).

2.)  If you are using the SSTU-OptionalPatches set of patches, you also should have UKS/MKS installed.

What is happening is that the MFT tanks are attempting to load some resources that do not exist (ColonySupplies), which causes KSP code to freak out, which then causes everything else to explode.

Install the latest CRP release and your problems should go away  ( https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/releases/download/0.6.4.0/CRP_0.6.4.0.zip ).

You can see all this in the log-file (I'm not sure why I even need to read most logs, the vast majority of issues have the errors listed in plain english for those who bother to read through it):

[ERR 00:10:01.869] Module SSTUVolumeContainer threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Resource definition was null for name: ColonySupplies
  at SSTUTools.SubContainerDefinition..ctor (SSTUTools.ContainerDefinition container, System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SSTUTools.ContainerDefinition..ctor (SSTUTools.SSTUVolumeContainer module, .ConfigNode node, Single tankTotalVolume) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SSTUTools.SSTUVolumeContainer.loadConfigData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SSTUTools.SSTUVolumeContainer.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(On that note, I'll make sure to update the bundled CRP to the latest with the next SSTU release)

Installing the latest CRP is fixed it. Thanks \o/

10 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks for the interest :)

Hypergolic fuels -- yes, using other fuel-switching mods is likely the culprit here, though the only one that should effect SSTU is RealFuels or ModularFuelTanks (unless other mods have incorrect patches which are trying to be applied to the MFT tanks).  If you can narrow down which mod is causing conflicts, please let me know so that I can investigate in full and look for potential solutions.

Fairing diamters -- are you referring to the base size, or the fairing size relative to the base?  Base size should cap out at 10m through unlocks/upgrades.  Fairing size relative to the base though is capped at the width of the base / base extension intentionally -- this is done to introduce some complexity and though regarding fairing use; you can't just slap a 2.5m base fairing around a 10m payload, you need to use a rocket size more appropriate to the payload being delivered.

This issue has been resolved. There was never a mod conflict that I can tell, it was entirely user error on my behalf. Thanks for your reply however, I greatly appriciate the support. 

As for the fairings. I understand that they shouldnt be absurdly oversized, but again this is KSP. I had scaled a base to 6.5m but the fairing would only extend to, I think 7m. Which was too small for my craft. I changed the cfg so it now goes up to 10m at the 6.5m scale and that works well for me. Honestly I could have gotten away with 8.5m but didnt want to have to go back and change it again. 

IIIRC, the default was 1.25m base with 1.875m fairing and I raised it to 2.5m. This allowed the scaling to work much better for me. And, I do very much prefer your fairing bases over stock, mostly cause they are already tweakscale compatible, saves me a lot of hassle. Though, I still plan to make changes to them. I think you have the max sections set to 2, I like to have at least 4 most of the time. And the section height was really low too, i think 2.5m I changed that to 5m also. 

On 12/31/2016 at 6:11 PM, SpaceBadger007 said:

Here is the final (part 3) of my almost fully reusable mun mission! Thank you @Shadowmage for making this awesome SSTU mod! 

http://imgur.com/gallery/Hjb3o

Great mission and pictorial SpaceBadger.  Now I will have to do something similar :).  I like your use of the Dragon & trunk.  I just wish it had a better IVA.  Can I ask where you got the launch pad light towers?

I've been looking all over for them.

Thx. 

1 hour ago, thomash said:

Great mission and pictorial SpaceBadger.  Now I will have to do something similar :).  I like your use of the Dragon & trunk.  I just wish it had a better IVA.  Can I ask where you got the launch pad light towers?

I've been looking all over for them.

Thx. 

Here they are:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.