[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Not to sound like a total idiot and stupid beyond my years @Shadowmage (I am a middle aged old fart, mind you). The optional patches folder, do I just unpack the folder into the game data folder as is or take them out of the folder and merge to the respective folders it supports? Mind you, I haven't messed with KSP for quite some time and getting back into the swing of things will take a few weeks until I'm savvy, again. 

Just now, ComatoseJedi said:

Not to sound like a total idiot and stupid beyond my years @Shadowmage (I am a middle aged old fart, mind you). The optional patches folder, do I just unpack the folder into the game data folder as is or take them out of the folder and merge to the respective folders it supports? Mind you, I haven't messed with KSP for quite some time and getting back into the swing of things will take a few weeks until I'm savvy, again. 

-If- you want to use the optional patches, you can simply drop the SSTU-OptionalPatches folder into your GameData folder, no merging or anything like that.  Patches usually don't care what folder they are in :)

Keep in mind that quite a few of those patches remove parts from stock and/or other mods, and are intended to be used alongside the USI and Near-Future mod suites (and EPL).  They can and will wreck a save due to the part removals, so use them with caution (and only on a new game...).

BTW, good seeing you around again :)

Just now, Shadowmage said:

-If- you want to use the optional patches, you can simply drop the SSTU-OptionalPatches folder into your GameData folder, no merging or anything like that.  Patches usually don't care what folder they are in :)

Keep in mind that quite a few of those patches remove parts from stock and/or other mods, and are intended to be used alongside the USI and Near-Future mod suites (and EPL).  They can and will wreck a save due to the part removals, so use them with caution (and only on a new game...).

BTW, good seeing you around again :)

Yeah, I thought so. But all is well, I have so many mods (sigh, can't help myself), that cutting parts is actually a good thing. Started a new game, as per usual, when I get an update of SSTU. And thank you for welcoming me back. It's great to get back to using my brain, for once. 

8 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.5.34.132

Fixes the outdated CRP and includes a few other minor updates and fixes; see the link for full change-log and downloads. Also adds a 'plugin-only' download to the github repository.

Feel free to update KSPWheel to the latest to get some new features on the SC-E wheels.  Apparently I have not started bundling it with SSTU, but will do so for future releases (once the wheels are nearly finished).

Woot!

Just got back from taking my daughter to a chorus concert she was in a few hours south (overnighter), now I have something to do...

On 1/28/2017 at 8:53 AM, Shadowmage said:

After I installed this the centrifuge refuses to rotate. The menu does not show the gravity from rotation after inflation and none of the buttons on the slider work.

There are no errors, the log looks like the centrifuge is otherwise acting fine:

[LOG 15:39:52.109] Setting crew capacity to: 0 from current: 0
[LOG 15:39:52.960] SSTU-ST-CFG-B added to ship - part count: 2
[LOG 15:39:57.383] Setting crew capacity to: 24 from current: 0
[LOG 15:40:06.411] Setting crew capacity to: 0 from current: 24
[LOG 15:40:19.973] Setting crew capacity to: 24 from current: 0
[LOG 15:41:07.139] SSTU-ST-CFG-B added to ship - part count: 2

No errors on the part anywhere else in the log.

E: A revert to 131 fixes the issue.

Edited by regex

7 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Shadow, I would DIE for you to add an RD-180 and RD-170 to the mod's engines.

I am not trying to put words in Shadowmage's mouth but I thought Shadowmage has stated in the past that the Russian engines are not in the future of the SSTU mod due to them already being available.   Bobcat's Soviet Engine pack has the RD-180,RD-171, RD-191 and other Staged combustion engines, including the monster RD-0120 Hydrolox engine.      @JoseEduardo's SSTU-Extended pack utlizes Mod manager files to bring SSTU functionality to these engines.   

Yes they are one of the oldest mods still in the game and yes they could look a little better but for the bulk of the Soviet Super engines, they work fine.

24 minutes ago, regex said:

After I installed this the centrifuge refuses to rotate. The menu does not show the gravity from rotation after inflation and none of the buttons on the slider work.

There are no errors, the log looks like the centrifuge is otherwise acting fine:

[LOG 15:39:52.109] Setting crew capacity to: 0 from current: 0
[LOG 15:39:52.960] SSTU-ST-CFG-B added to ship - part count: 2
[LOG 15:39:57.383] Setting crew capacity to: 24 from current: 0
[LOG 15:40:06.411] Setting crew capacity to: 0 from current: 24
[LOG 15:40:19.973] Setting crew capacity to: 24 from current: 0
[LOG 15:41:07.139] SSTU-ST-CFG-B added to ship - part count: 2

No errors on the part anywhere else in the log.

E: A revert to 131 fixes the issue.

Thanks for the report; I did some changes to the rotation module, that shouldn't have effected the centrifuge in theory, but apparently there are some conflicts somewhere (and I didn't test as the changes were minor).  I'll get a fix in place for the next release.

8 minutes ago, regex said:

Regarding the centrifuge, does SSTU provide any tanks that can bring rocket parts to an orbiting ship or am I in custom editing land?

RocketParts should be available in all of the SSTU-MFT fuel tanks using their default configurations.  (If you have MFT or RF installed though, those patches would be overriding the default setups)

13 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

RocketParts should be available in all of the SSTU-MFT fuel tanks using their default configurations.  (If you have MFT or RF installed though, those patches would be overriding the default setups)

Yeah, I'm in custom editing land, thanks. Not that hard to handle.

I followed the directions while downloading this, and a large amount of vanilla engines and fuel tanks disappeared. Is this supposed to happen? Will they stay gone if I remove the mod? Am I screwed? Should I stop making every sentence a question?

1 hour ago, Z-Money said:

I followed the directions while downloading this, and a large amount of vanilla engines and fuel tanks disappeared. Is this supposed to happen? Will they stay gone if I remove the mod? Am I screwed? Should I stop making every sentence a question?

Did you install the 'SSTU-OptionalPatches' folder?  Did you look at what the optional patches were before installing them?  (hint, they delete a bunch of stock parts, hence why they are optional)

8 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Did you install the 'SSTU-OptionalPatches' folder?  Did you look at what the optional patches were before installing them?  (hint, they delete a bunch of stock parts, hence why they are optional)

Ah, yes, it seems I have. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Im seeing that the SSTU tanks have WAY less dry mass and way more capacity then anything else i have. Is this intended? For instance an SSTU tank 1/4 the size of say a procedural one gives me the same Dv.

Sounds like you might be using MFT (or RF) ?

The amount of available propellant in a tank is calculated from its volume.  SSTU uses that information, combined with the volume specification in the resource defintions, to calculate the number of 'units' of a propellant.

When MFT is installed it overwrites the SSTU behavior with its own, however it has a 'bug' where it assumes all 'volume' is passed in as 5l units.  RealFuels properly sets all fuels to 1l units, so there shouldn't be any problems with RF, but there may be some with MFT.

I've been a bit quiet around here as of late, as I've been quite busy working on cleaning up the wheels system.  The good news is that I think it is nearly done with the initial development and should be able to move into maintenance mode here in a few weeks.  Have also been insanely busy at work due to some... corporate restructuring... so my motivation and brain-power to do coding after work has been less than it usually is.

Should likely have another small bug-fixing release this weekend with fixes for the rotation module (had improper default values in the code, can be fixed currently with config, but am fixing the defaults), and a few other minor fixes for things that I've noticed during playtesting.  Possibly even a couple more adapter texture colors (gray and green), and fuel tank texture (silver).

One thing that is rapidly moving up my priority list is the rework on the Lander-Core parts.  The pods themselves aren't too bad, but the fuel tanks are in a sad state, and really need to have integrated landing legs of one sort or another (or at least have usable landing legs available as separate parts; the stock ones love to tip over perfectly level and stable craft; they actually destabilize things).  So the next 'big thing' for SSTU will likely be the lander-core revamp, which will mostly consist of creating new fuel tank models.  The integrated landing legs might be actual 'landing legs' using a KSPWheel setup, but I'm also debating making them a standard static collider and animation setup (e.g. the USI landing leg setups; which should allow for zero sliding on most hills).

Edit:
Quick preview/mock-up of the silver tank textures; more of a matte brushed silver than a 'super-shiny' silver due to the lack of reflection support in shaders.  Should match the silver adapters and DOS modules fairly closely.

EWlx0tT.png

Edited by Shadowmage

19 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

One thing that is rapidly moving up my priority list is the rework on the Lander-Core parts.  The pods themselves aren't too bad, but the fuel tanks are in a sad state, and really need to have integrated landing legs of one sort or another (or at least have usable landing legs available as separate parts; the stock ones love to tip over perfectly level and stable craft; they actually destabilize things).  So the next 'big thing' for SSTU will likely be the lander-core revamp, which will mostly consist of creating new fuel tank models.  The integrated landing legs might be actual 'landing legs' using a KSPWheel setup, but I'm also debating making them a standard static collider and animation setup (e.g. the USI landing leg setups; which should allow for zero sliding on most hills).

I had an idea while playing the other day I had meant to bring up, and this reminded me...I've found the size/shape of the lander tanks make excellent probe tanks.  Don't know if you've ever considered expanding on that or anything, just wanted to share. 

Are there any tutorials for using the SRB thrust-curve GUI? I'm struggling to get my head round it. I'm looking to make my SRB's produce close to full thrust for around 80% of their burn, but then lose thrust over the remaining 20%. So far the thrust begins to fall away too early with any curves I've made.

Appreciate the help.

On Friday, February 03, 2017 at 6:32 AM, Qwarkk said:

I'm looking to make my SRB's produce close to full thrust for around 80% of their burn, but then lose thrust over the remaining 20%. 

I just use the 'gradual' option in the presets menu and it works great for me 

On 1/30/2017 at 0:18 PM, Shadowmage said:

I remember a while ago when these tanks were first being set up for RF configurations and the first thing that I was told to do/try is delete the RealFuels patch folder if I wanted to use MFT. Surprisingly, this still works after a good bit of not playing. I even dusted off my config editing skills to make a tiny "fuel generator" for those times which I screw up a transfer. 

I also wanted to say this about the mod in general. We all know that you do this for a hobby. I know I'm not pushing for anything to be released/redone due to the fact that I know you will get it done when you feel like it. Remember, 'Mage...  your life comes first. If work is shoving your nose to the grinder, we do understand when things don't get done and don't think we are sweating you to do so. Take Your Time! Have Fun (yeah right, coding is FUN [for lunatics])

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.