[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Last couple days worth of fun have been reworking the 'engine gimbal offset' manipulation code -- making it more generic by moving it to a new PartModule, updating it to work for KSP 1.4+, and adding it back to the parts that needed it (MSRB parts).  One more feature done, one step closer to an updated release.

Three One more 'major' feature left to implement -- engine effects scaling, animation constraints updating and reloading, and updating/reworking of the SRB thrust-curve manipulation GUI.  Most of these are already 'solved' problems, and the existing code just needs to be updated and/or refactored a bit. edit: (constraints and thrust-curve GUI done)

Hoping to get things cleaned up to the point of doing a packaged testing release by/over this weekend.  Only a few features left to implement or rework, and most of the configs have been updated at this point.  Undoubtedly the first few releases will have a few problems (things that got missed, bugs), but that is what testing releases are for :)

Edited by Shadowmage

I gotta say these status updates are amazing.  Not only does it calm everyone eagerly awaiting the next release but it also gives everyone an idea of the complexity and amount of work that goes into a mod like this.  I applaud your efforts both on the mod and the updates. 

Good news/bad news....

The bad is that I could not manage to salvage any sort of particle-effects scaling for stock particle effects.  In fact stock now seems to have some sort of built-in inverse scaling that makes the problem even worse.  Previously they merely scaled poorly; now they look quite terrible on any sort of scaled engine.  Last I looked the stock particle system lacked any sort of 'scale' or 'size' control at the config-node level, so this may be something that I cannot solve.  With the recent change in particle systems, and the upcoming changes in 1.4.4, scale/size may be exposed to some degree; will re-address this issue after 1.4.4 is released.

The good news is that the effect scaling works perhaps better than ever for RealPlume derived effects (or anything using SmokeScreen).

WO6XLnn.png

At this point it is only config-level cleanup that needs to happen in order for packaged testing releases.  Will likely be in 'test release' mode for a couple of weeks while bugs are cleaned up and balance issues addressed, but I think we can finally say that releases will be 'Soon' :)

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Shadowmage said:

Good news/bad news....

The bad is that I could not manage to salvage any sort of particle-effects scaling for stock particle effects.  In fact stock now seems to have some sort of built-in inverse scaling that makes the problem even worse.  Previously they merely scaled poorly; now they look quite terrible on any sort of scaled engine.  Last I looked the stock particle system lacked any sort of 'scale' or 'size' control at the config-node level, so this may be something that I cannot solve.  With the recent change in particle systems, and the upcoming changes in 1.4.4, scale/size may be exposed to some degree; will re-address this issue after 1.4.4 is released.

The good news is that the effect scaling works perhaps better than ever for RealPlume derived effects (or anything using SmokeScreen).

WO6XLnn.png

At this point it is only config-level cleanup that needs to happen in order for packaged testing releases.  Will likely be in 'test release' mode for a couple of weeks while bugs are cleaned up and balance issues addressed, but I think we can finally say that releases will be 'Soon' :)

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to say that if you want to go full RealPlume/Smokescreen and get rid of stock particles, I don't think too many of us would mind. I myself wouldn't mind RP/SS being dependencies. Contares has already done this, and even though I didn't like it, I think I was in the minority, but I have since gotten over it. RP/SS effects look nicer anyway. And the plumes last longer I believe, though I wish the plumes would remain all the way from ground till upper atmo. I know it would be a resource hog, but that's what settings are for right? 

Edited by GoldForest

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to say that if you want to go full RealPlume/Smokescreen and get rid of stock particles, I don't think too many of us would mind.

I've been considering it, but I don't think I want to include it as a packaged dependency.  More specifically, I think I want to keep it as a 'soft dependency' -- e.g. highly recommended, fully supported, and generally desired, but not necessary for other 'functions' of the mod.  In this particular case (SRB-Effects) the mod still functionally 'works' just fine in the absence of RP, merely the SRB effects are less-than-ideal.

2 hours ago, tater said:

I've been having some nasty computer problems, which have resulted in my not testing yet.

No worries; I'm sure you would if you could :)

I'm not in any particular rush to move through the testing stages, so I think you have a bit of time yet.

Latest bit of progress, conversion of SC-E to use recoloring system + PBR support.  Only the base texture converted so far, will be working on the alternate texture sets next.

ooarZru.png

PhK87KQ.png

Will likely pack up an initial testing release in the next couple of days, after I finish the SC-E conversion.  Bout time to get the bug-hunting started :)

On 6/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, Jimbodiah said:

Well, at least you didn't show us a pink one...

Almost.... but then I thought... pink shuttle? yuk... :)  (I wanted to do silver, but the 'bumpy' texture doesn't lend itself to it very well; perhaps in the future I'll make alternate 'smooth' texture sets).

In general news -- I'll be packing up the initial 1.4 testing releases this evening.  Yes, the time has finally arrived.  The time to break things.  Time to crash things.  Time to fly crazy colored rockets.  Time to drive me crazy with tons of bug reports :)

Not everything is 100% finished as far as config setup goes, but the plugin code should all be ready for a good workout.  I'll post some notes about what is not yet finished along with the releases.

Initial KSP 1.4+ testing version is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.8.40.150

DO NOT attempt to bring an old save across -- it will not work.
DO report all issues on GitHub -- https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues
DO install the PBR pack if you want PBR textures/shaders/recoloring
DO install all of the dependencies that have been included
PLEASE keep in mind that this is a -testing version- for finding and fixing of bugs.  If you are not comfortable with the bug reporting process, you are welcome to wait until the non-testing releases are available.

With that said -- have fun.  Fly it, break it, blow it all up.  Everything that I've tested appeared to work (at least in the editor), but I certainly haven't tried every combination of models/parts, and there are still a few WIP bits (see the link above; listed in the change-log).

I will be doing bug-fixing and cleanup this week/week-end, and will aim for at least weekly releases until the majority of bugs have been squashed.

Playing the new update now... These changes made just about all of my patches redundant, but also has new opportunities for many parts :D ! Now I can finally create an ACES style stage with no more than 2 or so parts for the stage itself.

@Shadowmage Having some kind of weird texture or coloring issue with the SC-E Shuttle.  the wheels seem to have mixed textures and so does the extendable docking port.  its perfectly functional, just the coloring/texture of off. Can you take a look at is when u have time...BTW im using force-glcore-  . Thanks 

Ohh i forgot to mention...the shuttle itself   if absolutely perfect.....every launch is like silk    smooth and flawless ... i so love it.

Edited by mechanicH

Loaded up just fine on my (slightly sketchy at this point) Mac.

We're trying to limp this one through until they release an updated version in August, lol.

If it gets too awful, I'll likely build a PC in July as a holdover (cause I can build a pretty badass PC for not a lot of scratch).

Been incredibly busy at work the last week so have had limited time for modding updates.  This week is not likely to be much better as it is a short week at work, with the latter half of the week devoted to a camping trip.

I am going to -try- to push out an updated release on probably Wednesday afternoon that should contain a few more fixes and updates for the dev-testing versions.  Likely won't be too huge, but I'll at least try to address some of the outstanding 'game breaking' issues.  The next update after that will be Sunday at the earliest, but more than likely the following Monday.

I haven't really been seeing too many 'new' issues reported, so hopefully what is currently listed is about the extent of it.  Nothing listed so far seems to be too difficult to fix, so I'm still hoping for only a few more weeks' of testing releases.

Hey guys, im attempting to build a perfect replica of the the Soyuz Rocket, (Doing the whole ISS build step by step, as it was in real life) Im trying to get the dimensions correct, and having some hard time with it..can you guys help me out or point me in the right direction. (not that i cant google it, its just how to convert the scale factor from real world to KSP)   

Thanks you all. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.