[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

On 4/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, rib3irojr said:

Oh, sorry! I've uploaded on Mega at this time: https://mega.nz/#!PTpCjQ4Q!jKcHpf8_Poc_8HB4lVSUUljgI0sgAFPeM3Twvj5vOTc

Thanks, that worked :)

Few things from the log file that might be causing issues.

1.)  You have 'SSTU-PBR' installed.  Remove it.  It was a texture-expansion used by previous versions of SSTU, and is no longer needed (and will cause issues).  This is likely the cause of your messed up textures.
2.)  You are missing some stock part models which are causing loading errors (using Restock?).  Notably the stock NERVA engine is missing.  This issue likely only impacts those specific SSTU engines that use the stock model.

19 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Thanks, that worked :)

Few things from the log file that might be causing issues.

1.)  You have 'SSTU-PBR' installed.  Remove it.  It was a texture-expansion used by previous versions of SSTU, and is no longer needed (and will cause issues).  This is likely the cause of your messed up textures.
2.)  You are missing some stock part models which are causing loading errors (using Restock?).  Notably the stock NERVA engine is missing.  This issue likely only impacts those specific SSTU engines that use the stock model.

1.) I did not find the 'SSTU-PBR', can you show me the localization of this file?

2.) I ever removes some stock parts to my KSP be more faster. But I'll put all stock files again.

52 minutes ago, rib3irojr said:

1.) I did not find the 'SSTU-PBR', can you show me the localization of this file?

2.) I ever removes some stock parts to my KSP be more faster. But I'll put all stock files again.

Apologies on #1 -- Apparently there are/were still some patches using that name, which I interpreted to be the folder name.  Further investigations show that this isn't being caused by a folder.

#2 should really only impact those three engines, and shouldn't have the effect you are seeing elsewhere.

I'll go over the log again and see if I can spot any other errors.  As I'm not seeing any other major exceptions/errors in the log, about the only other thing that I can think of is that your GFX might not be capable of the features that are being used (cubemaps/reflections), though normally there are errors posted in the log when trying to use those features.

3 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Apologies on #1 -- Apparently there are/were still some patches using that name, which I interpreted to be the folder name.  Further investigations show that this isn't being caused by a folder.

#2 should really only impact those three engines, and shouldn't have the effect you are seeing elsewhere.

I'll go over the log again and see if I can spot any other errors.  As I'm not seeing any other major exceptions/errors in the log, about the only other thing that I can think of is that your GFX might not be capable of the features that are being used (cubemaps/reflections), though normally there are errors posted in the log when trying to use those features.

I've removing 'DefaultShaderAssignments-Engines - PBR' and now the engines are normal, but without reflections and metallic appareance (but this is not a problem to me), but all other parts that are metallic still are black, I think so because I don't have a good Video Graphics Adapter (It's just the HD Graphics 3000 of my I5-2450M), but if have just a option to remove all metallic and reflections appareances of the parts I think that SSTU will work.

10 minutes ago, rib3irojr said:

I think so because I don't have a good Video Graphics Adapter (It's just the HD Graphics 3000 of my I5-2450M),

I think you might be correct.

10 minutes ago, rib3irojr said:

but if have just a option to remove all metallic and reflections appareances of the parts I think that SSTU will work. 

Unfortunately I do not offer any such options.  PBR is now the 'standard' for SSTU, and how I intend the mod to be used.  I cannot offer support for any alternate setups or configurations, nor could I even say if its possible to disable reflections entirely without running into the exact issues you currently are seeing (any time you disable reflections... things will go black; that is how the new shaders work).

22 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

I think you might be correct.

Unfortunately I do not offer any such options.  PBR is now the 'standard' for SSTU, and how I intend the mod to be used.  I cannot offer support for any alternate setups or configurations, nor could I even say if its possible to disable reflections entirely without running into the exact issues you currently are seeing (any time you disable reflections... things will go black; that is how the new shaders work).

Oh, okay...

I think that I'll use SSTU on 1.3.1 or 1.2.2, because on these versions the mod runs perfectly!

On 4/18/2019 at 11:19 AM, rib3irojr said:

but all other parts that are metallic still are black, I think so because I don't have a good Video Graphics Adapter (It's just the HD Graphics 3000 of my I5-2450M), but if have just a option to remove all metallic and reflections appareances of the parts I think that SSTU will work.

@rib3irojr Huh... I also have HD3000 and i5-2450M, and also forcing Dx11, and the latest SSTU seems to be loading all the textures properly for me... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, FrancoisH said:

Just a stupid question I didn't ask, but is the lastest compiled version for 1.7 is compatible for 1.6.1 as I do not migrate yet, a lot of my mods aren't compatible yet.

Should work on either version, but was compiled against the KSP 1.7 libraries, so can only guarantee compatibility for that version.

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before 

If it has I'll take pointers to the location in the 370 pages of this topic.

What is the best way to get the -force-d3d11 or   -force-glcore working in Windows 10, if one isn't launching from Steam?

Thanks, and again apologies..

6 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

What is the best way to get the -force-d3d11 or   -force-glcore working in Windows 10, if one isn't launching from Steam?

Dont see how this really belongs in the SSTU thread, other than I assume thats the one mod you are interested in getting this working for...?? vOv
Try here, tho:

11 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

SSTU keeps telling me the current graphics mode isnt supported

Technically, its TexturesUnlimited telling you that.  So, still not directly SSTU related.  Not even mod related.  Or even KSP related.  This one is a simple 'how do I use computers' type question, with answers dating back to at least the 70's (command-line options have been around for longer than I have been alive).

Here are the instructions and documentation on how to utilize the start flags, as provided by Unity, directly from the Unity website.  Why I seem to be the only person who knows how to use Google to search for things, is a completely separate and probably never-to-be-answered question...

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

1 minute ago, RaiderMan said:

WHY does textures unlimited keep doing that?

Because DX9 is about 10 years past its expiration date, and should have been retired long ago.  Being so old and out-of-date it does not support the modern rendering techniques needed to properly utilize PBR materials and global illumination technologies.  Hence the 'requirement' to use DX11 or OpenGL-Core, as both of those APIs are much more modern and support all of the features needed.  Why KSP insists on using extremely out-of-date graphics API as its default?  Probably some accountant stuck in a windowless office somewhere making decisions for the business.... (read:  market share / lowest-common-denominator / consoles)

Certainly you can use DX9; it is functional.  But I'm not going to support it or endorse it due to the artifacts and other rendering issues.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:09 AM, Sudragon said:

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before 

If it has I'll take pointers to the location in the 370 pages of this topic.

glcore works by default, there is just a slight glitch in that the part icons are shifted down a tad. In fact, glcore is more stable and noticeably higher performance than the game's default dx9, which is kind of funny.

dx11 requires that you have TU present, otherwise your part icons will be gray.

The most recent versions of ksp seem to not mind dx12 either (same issue as dx11), but there are some mods that don't support it.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Startup_parameters

Edited by Electrocutor

16 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

hi @Shadowmage

Is it me or the inflating part do not get their storage volume multiplied anymore?

They should, but entirely possible that something was broken in a recent update.

I've opened an issue ticket on the subject, and will be sure to investigate the behavior and fix if needed for the next SSTU update:  https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/issues/780

So I'm enjoying the mod but when I research the size increase for fairings in career mode to the 6.25 meter fairing size I can still only make them 3.75m max size which is a problem as I am trying to creat some 5 meter rockets and I need a fairing for them.

Found the reason.  The tech nodes only effect the peddle adapters and not the actual fairings.  @Shadowmage

Edited by captinjoehenry

On 5/11/2019 at 6:41 AM, FrancoisH said:

Hello there, I've just a quick question. Is there no 0.63 diameter size variant of the tanks? I thought it was possible to set them that small before?

There should be an unlockable 0.625m diameter option for the fuel tanks.  Don't remember offhand when/where it is unlocked, but should come with the stock 0.625m tanks.

What's the difference between SSTUSolarPanelDeployable and DeployableSolarPanel in terms of functionality? I'm asking because a couple of mods - Kerbalism and AmpYear - don't seem to recognize SSTU's panels as power-generating parts.

The obvious solution would be to replace that module with an equivalent DeployableSolarPanel config, but I don't know how that could be done (I'm not that experienced with MM patches :P) 

EDIT: I thought about doing something like this, which is inspired on SSTU's RO configs:

@PART[SSTU-ST-GEN-DSP-SMB-L]:AFTER[SSTU]
{
	%RSSROConfig = True
	%rescaleFactor = 1.750

@title = SM Solar Panels Lv.4 (12.3 m^2)
	@description = SM Solar Panels Lv.4 (12.3 m^2). 2.5953 kW
	@tags ^=:$:, solar, station, power, tracking, array, saw

@mass = 0.0467

@MODULE[SSTUSolarPanelDeployable]
	{
		@resourceAmount = 0 // was 2.5953
		!powerCurve {}
	}

@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
	{
		@chargeRate = 2.5953
	}
}

This effectively "disables" SSTU's module, but I'm a bit worried about how both modules handle deployment animations... although some field names are strikingly similar.

Edited by Tonas1997

2 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

What's the difference between SSTUSolarPanelDeployable and DeployableSolarPanel in terms of functionality

In functionality, from what a player would notice?  Close to zero.

Functionality, in what types of models and setups it will support -- The SSTU module is leagues beyond the stock module.  You can try to swap it to use the stock module, but it won't work (nor will I offer any support).  The entire reason I wrote my own (stock doesn't support multiple transforms, etc).

Those other mods don't recognize SSTU panels because they have 'hard-coded' support for stock solar panels by class-name.  Nothing that I can do -- the author of those mods need to 'hard-code' support for every other solar panel as well, or come up with some sort of generic method (which they should have done in the first place; no acceptable excuse for hard-coding for specific classes exists).

17 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

@Shadowmage Hi for some reason the SSTU mod integration patches are not working.  I have the mods they are for and SSTU installed but their changes to the at least the fuel tanks do not show up.

Specifcally for Near and Far future mods

Those patches have not been maintained in... forever.  Too much flux between all of the mods in the past for me to keep up with all of the changes.

Perhaps now is a good time to look into cleaning them up though as I don't foresee any large changes for SSTU in the future, and Nertea is actively pushing 'final release' tags to his mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.