[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

It's possible to put a round dome type on that (I think I used the top slider) and get yourself a flying saucery looking thing. Not sure how useful that is but it looked neat.

That's one clear-dome, one-man pod away from a Spaceman Spiff mobile. I think this should be strongly considered also :)

Edited by vossiewulf

What about an inflatable heat shield like the science ship over venus in The Expanse?

I'm also having a funky thing happened, but idk if anyone else has run into it outside myself and one of my viewers. When I use an SSTU part as the root part of a vessel and enable the lights I get a cubemap nullref. In a craft without the SSTU part it's intermittent, occasionally getting a flicker across the screen when I turn on the lights but not as frequently. I've got over 100 mods, so it could totally just be a conflict. Anyone else had that problem?

14 minutes ago, danshu15 said:

What about an inflatable heat shield like the science ship over venus in The Expanse?

I'm also having a funky thing happened, but idk if anyone else has run into it outside myself and one of my viewers. When I use an SSTU part as the root part of a vessel and enable the lights I get a cubemap nullref. In a craft without the SSTU part it's intermittent, occasionally getting a flicker across the screen when I turn on the lights but not as frequently. I've got over 100 mods, so it could totally just be a conflict. Anyone else had that problem?

Logs?

Hard/impossible to know what is going on without more information.

I have not had any previous reports of such an issue, but that doesn't mean its not a real problem.

Np!

Figured it was a known thing, but probably just a conflict with someone else I'm using. The easy workaround is to not use an SSTU part for the root part of the vessel. Only problem outside of that is the shuttle parts don't have windows that light up.

Here's screenshots of the in game log with and without an SSTU root part (probe core, command pods etc - all the same) only happens when I activate the lights "U" key.

Also included is the KSP and output logs File Download via Filebin

Thanks for taking a look :)

23 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

without the SSTU part it's intermittent, occasionally getting a flicker across the screen when I turn on the lights but not as frequently.

TextureReplacer v3.7.0.41147

They do... something... with cubemaps.  Which is potentially a cause of the the error you are seeing, as I know there have been conflicts such as that in the past.  Not seeing any specific exceptions on that though.

I am seeing this however, which is probably the issue you are seeing with SSTU parts as root:

[EXC 07:35:08.731] NullReferenceException
	UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[Camera] ()
	scatterer.ShadowRemoveFadeCommandBuffer..ctor ()
	UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Part, Vector3, Quaternion)
	DragCubeSystem:RenderProceduralDragCube(Part)
	SSTUTools.SSTUStockInterop:updatePartDragCube(Part)
	SSTUTools.SSTUStockInterop:FixedUpdate()

Which appears to be an error in Scatterer regarding dynamic-drag-cubes on root-parts.  I would suggest reporting that issue there, but I'm also going to see if I can play around and duplicate it.  I'm sure Blackrack would appreciate a PR-fix to go along with the new issue report :)

I'm sure it is something I have messed up on my KSP but the radial  tank SSTU-TANK-MFT-R-Radial Tank doesn't show up.  I'm just wanting to see if this is a known issue or maybe something that I have done be it a conflict with another mod or something else I have done.  When in editor it has a box in the tank section but there is no picture, and when you drag an invisible tank and put one on a rocket the mass and delta-v changes but you cant see it or modify it.  I have been loving SSTU just wondering if there is a easy solution to fix this or if I should just quit trying to figure out what I have done wrong.  Thanks

33 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

I'm sure it is something I have messed up on my KSP but the radial  tank SSTU-TANK-MFT-R-Radial Tank doesn't show up.

Seems to show up fine for me in sandbox mode.

34 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

When in editor it has a box in the tank section but there is no picture, and when you drag an invisible tank

Yeah, that's not supposed to happen :)

Any chance you are running Restock?  The MFT-R uses stock models, so if those models are missing... bad things happen.  Restock removes/hides many stock models, so that outcome is to be expected unless you take steps to correct it.

Otherwise, I'll need to see your KSP.log file, which will likely contain the error information needed to know what is going on here.

I've been working in RSS/RO on a family of launch vehicles inspired by the Eyes Turned Skyward timeline (and also @CobaltWolf's awesome BlueDog Design Bureau pack - Hi from Sturgeon's House!). This set of launch vehicles is "set" more or less in the mid/late 2000s and 2010s, as a sort of ETS-timeline equivalent to SLS.

This is the Helios series:

1QMkzet.jpg

Left to right: Helios 601, Helios 621, Helios 621L, Helios 661, Helios 661L, Helios 862L.

Helios 601
S-IVD Upper Stage (6.6m, 2x J-2D)
Helios I First Stage (2x F-1B)
58.3 t to 390x390km

Helios 621
2x SRMU
76.2 t to 390x390km

Helios 621L
Helios II First Stage (2x F-1B)
2x SRMU
86.4 t to 390x390km

Helios 661
6x SRMU
102.9 t to 390x390km

Helios 661L
6x SRMU
115.7 t to 390x390km

Helios 862L
Height: 102.9 m
Launch mass: 4041.9 t
Helios Advanced Upper Stage (8.75m, 4x J-2D)
6x SRMU
155.7 t to 390x390km

The Helios series basically takes the status quo of ETS in the mid-2000s (equivalent to when Constellation was being developed IOTL) and envisions a series of launchers leveraging the industrial base that would have existed at the time. The goals of the launchers were to be scalable with the ability to put serious payloads into TLI to support continued Moon base operations into the 2010s and 2020s. So basically, an SLS-type project in the ETS universe, but scalable and with different LEGO pieces. My rules were that I could only use derivatives of the components outlined in the AH Wiki article on ETS spacecraft and launch vehicles. That meant engines, tank diameters, etc. The result is the Helios rocket family.

The designation system follows the fairing-booster-upper stage model of the Atlas series. So the 621, for example, uses a 6(point 625) meter fairing, two SRMUs, and an S-IVD upper stage. There was not enough of a gap in performance between the 621 and 661 to justify any variants with four strap on boosters. The two upper stages have the following codes: S-IVD (1), and HAUS (2)

The core tanks are based aesthetically on the Atlas V. Like that rocket, they are bare aluminum with an anti-corrosion conversion finish, which appears bronze. I chose this look because it's both a good design and aesthetically striking. I wanted the rockets to be ultimately Saturn-derived, but not look like they came out of the Apollo program. The S-IVD upper stage tank is an improved and lightened S-IVC with revised avionics. It uses unpainted orange spray-on foam insulation (SOFI) like the Space Shuttle external tank. The S-IVB upper stage from which the S-IVD would ultimately be derived is a very lightweight common bulkhead design, so it's not visually correct for these models to have the SLS-like intertank section (the lighter ridged bit in the middle), so I used the end-and-end bulkhead option in SSTU instead. The HAUS upper stage (a clean sheet design) is a heavily insulated LEO-storable balloon-tank design, so it gets no prominent interstage feature, and sports the gold MLI covering texture. It should be noted that the engines have no direct analogues IOTL, although the F-1B is similar to the real F-1B in that it's production optimized and uprated. It is represented by SSTU's (IRL) F-1B. The J-2D is represented by SSTU's J-2X but is unrelated except for shared heritage (it, like SSTU's J-2X ironically, is higher performance than the historical J-2X would have been). It is a reduced cost J-2 with improved thrust and specific impulse. Both are pretty unsurprising improvements over their predecessors.

All of the Helios series are fully expendable. These rockets are intended to fly in the 2010s and 2020s, and even with some private ETS companies developing reusability during that time, I do not think NASA-requested rockets would be reusable by that point (although, ironically, ETS canon contradicts me - I was a little behind in my reading when I started this project). Another issue is the location of the long and short first stage tanks in the timeline. Are the L-variants concurrent with the rest, or did the L-variants come about later, as an even further improvement? Should the regular variants exist at all (well the 601 clearly should)? Fairings are another matter. Right now each upper stage has its own unique fairing. These stages are big enough that this may be all that is ever needed, especially since these rockets are designed primarily to send cargo to the Moon.

Edited by Gremillion

Hi @Shadowmage, just wanted to say thanks for this excellent mod, I am really enjoying it.  I have taken on Real Solar System for the first time, and using SSTU to work through the Artemis program

I have a working SLS Block 1B with EUS that can launch 40 ton payload into translunar orbit, and I have a lunar lander using your POD3 which can complete a lunar landing missions with the launch of a SLS B1B Crew (Orion + POD3 ascent vehicle) and SLS B1B Cargo (2-stage lunar descent vehicle),  I have used your RS-25, SL-10 in the SLS, and Draco-L hypergolic engines in the lunar lander, with some minor modifications.

Working now on a Delta IV Heavy to act is the commercial carrier for the precursor missions, and looking forward to designing and building the Lunar Gateway in an elliptical polar orbit which mimics the Lunar L2 Near Rectilinear Halo Orbit proposed for the Gateway in the Artemis program. 

When completed I hope to use all the components to create, design and execute a kerballed mission to Mars.

Mission log:  

GFBZDtt.png

Edited by jinnantonix

18 hours ago, SpeedShot7 said:

Is there any consideration towards giving the Orion capsule a black or shiny texture like it does in reality?

I believe the part is already recolorable, so you can make it as black and shiny as you desire.

Still loving the Mod ran into another small hiccup that i'm hoping there is a simple solution for, when I put one of the Modular RCS Ports SST-GEN-MRCS I get a continued log error that says MissingMethodException: Method not found: "ResourceRatio..ctor".  Trying to figure this out as not to bother anyone I looked in the log and it says this

[LOG 21:38:58.010] ERROR: Config is for part: SSTU-GEN-MRCS (Part) is set to use RF/MFT, but neither RF nor MFT is installed, cannot update part volumes through them.  Please check your configs and/or patches for errors.

Im guessing its talking about Real Fuels and Modular Fuel Tanks, I know I never had RF but may have installed MFT before finding SSTU but there is nothing I can find in the Gamedata for MFT so unsure where to look for the config or patch that it references to find where the error may be from.  I understand in no way this is a issue with the mod it is something I have done like before with another mod that has caused an issue just hoping to rectify without having to do a new install.  Thanks for any help you have time to offer.

6 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

I get a continued log error that says MissingMethodException: Method not found: "ResourceRatio..ctor".

Could I get an upload of a log file where this is occuring?  That sounds like some incompatibilities between mods/libraries, as you can't normally compile a .dll with missing methods.  Full log should contain much more information, likely stating exactly which libraries were having issues.  Usually this is caused by some sort of version mismatch between a mod and its external .dll dependencies.

8 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

[LOG 21:38:58.010] ERROR: Config is for part: SSTU-GEN-MRCS (Part) is set to use RF/MFT, but neither RF nor MFT is installed, cannot update part volumes through them.  Please check your configs and/or patches for errors.

Yeah, that particular error is a known issue with the integration code for that module and shouldn't have any impact on the functionality of the MRCS part itself (as it doesn't have resources).  A side effect of how the RF/MFT integration was worked out, and the generic-use intention for the MRCS module.  Should be cleaned up in future releases, and I don't think this is related to your previous issue (as I do see this error, but have not seen the missing-method one).

12 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

I understand in no way this is a issue with the mod it is something

You are in the clear on this one, and it actually is an issue with the mod (well, the second message anyway).  I'll know more about the first error once I can see a log file.

I would happily get that for you but I am unsure of how to post it here for you unless you just want me to copy and paste a few lines of it.  Everything does work just get that error that continues to go on was why I was thinking I should try to fix it.

Edited by fxcustoms
added more info

47 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

I would happily get that for you but I am unsure of how to post it here for you unless you just want me to copy and paste a few lines of it.

The usual solution is to upload the file to a cloud hosting site such as DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, or various file-sharing sites like Rapidshare(?).  Pretty much anything that will give you a sharable link will work, or if you have a Github account you can open an issue ticket and drag+drop into the ticket textbox to attach files.

45 minutes ago, fxcustoms said:

Hope im doing this right, here is the output log and the ksp.txt

Output_Log      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qO2dFxIxtatm7Vg_7d-eUMm1qCG2Dwpb

KSP       https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JgTQJoXwOwAcx4gVZ9QFQYHrcNmuqJY3

Yep, that works.

From your logs, a few potential errors that might be causing the issue you are seeing (none SSTU related):

Kopernicus has an error during loading:

[EXC 21:34:18.234] TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' from assembly 'KatLib'.
	System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType)
	System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit)
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.LogAggregatorWorker.Awake ()
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
	AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
	<LoadObjects>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	<CreateDatabase>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	GameDatabase:StartLoad()
	<LoadSystems>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Waypoint manager throwing an error:

[EXC 21:38:36.514] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WaypointManager.WaypointManager+<RemoveDuplicateWaypoints>d__30.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

I couldn't say for certain if either of those is causing the repeated error you were seeing;  they don't appear to be directly related, but in KSP any error during loading can cascade to seemingly unrelated systems.

And I can see the repeated error regarding the missing method/constructor, but sadly the log is not stating -where- the error occurs (quite odd, normally it will state what class/method was being processed when the error was encountered).  I have checked SSTU code, and I do not have or use any classes called 'ResourceRatio', so whatever is causing that error is not in SSTU directly.  Now, stock code -does- have a 'ResourceRatio' class, but SSTU is not interfacing with that class directly in any fashion, and that class does have a constructor.  This all points to the likely cause being some out-of-date mod that you have installed that was not compiled for recent KSP versions (e.g. was compiled for KSP 1.3).

At this point your only real recourse to solve that error (and it does need to be solved), is to remove mods one at a time, until the error goes away.  Whichever mod removed last is likely the culprit.  Or do the reverse and start with a clean installation, and then install mods one at a time until the error occurs, at which point the last added mod is likely the culprit.

Do you have this issue with any non-SSTU parts?  Can you duplicate the issue in a stock+SSTU only installation?

If you can find a way to duplicate the issue on a Stock + SSTU only installation, then I can likely find how to reproduce the problem, at which point I could do further debugging.  However, if the problem is not present in a Stock+SSTU only installation, that would point to the error being in another mod, at which point I cannot really offer any further assistance (I can't fix other mods' issues).

16 hours ago, fxcustoms said:

Sorry to have taken up your time I figured it was a issue with something I have done I will work on removing some mods and seeing if I can find the culprit or try the fresh install method thanks for the advise.

No worries, sorry I couldn't point to anything more specific.  If you do manage to track it down, please let me know which mod it is, as I'm kind of curious myself :)

12 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Hi @Shadowmage, I am wondering if it is possible to resize the NASA logo on your tanks?  

Unfortunately, no, they are a fixed size.

I messed around for a while and was unable to find which mod was possibly causing the issue, and eventually just started with a new install.  I did away with some of the mods I was previously using but no longer have the issue, sorry couldn't offer anymore as far as which mod may have been causing a conflict.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.