[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

On 9/2/2020 at 4:01 AM, lancisman said:

When i download sstu the lander parts don't show up? How do i fix this?

Which parts aren't showing up?

On 9/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, john hunter said:

hey i have a problem with the mod allot of the parts are not there and when im in the vab some parts have this black shade on it so pls. help me fix this

Sounds like you either didnt install the bundled Textures Unlimited.

11 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Sounds like you either didnt install the bundled Textures Unlimited.

whats that bundled textures unlimited? plus a bunch of the fuel tanks arent there theres only 3 fuel tanks there the delta upper stage the soyuz side boaster and a rando, striped fuel tank 

Edited by john hunter

On 9/9/2020 at 2:18 AM, john hunter said:

whats that bundled textures unlimited? plus a bunch of the fuel tanks arent there theres only 3 fuel tanks there the delta upper stage the soyuz side boaster and a rando, striped fuel tank 

Textures Unlimited comes in the SSTU download, if you don't put it in your game data folder then the SSTU parts wont have textures, also make sure you have CommunityResourcePack installed. Basically if it came in the downloaded zip put it in your game data folder or stuff wont work. Also SSTU only has like 5 tank parts, but they are highly modular with tons of different options.

I realize this is a WIP, but will there be an actual release of this?  Maybe consider just saying "1.0" and get rid of the 0.x eternal beta designation, and put a thread in the Release forum (while maintaining most of the effort here)...

Also, for 1.9.1, which "pre=release" should I use for 1.9.1 or 1.10 if I want enough stability for a career game?  Looking at the Diffs, the last pre-release was 12.something and is intended for 1.8.9max

Edited by Murdabenne

• 2 weeks later...

Relatively early in career with just CTT I wonder why the upper stage engine "SSTU - SC-ENG - LR81-8048" got a minimum mount diameter of 1.875m but the lifter engine "SSTU - SC-ENG - Merlin-1A" got a minimum mount diameter of 0.625m.

IMHO it should be the other way around.

Edit:

Wait, after detaching and reattaching the values are changed and make more sense now.

Edited by Gordon Dry

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Relatively early in career with just CTT I wonder why the upper stage engine "SSTU - SC-ENG - LR81-8048" got a minimum mount diameter of 1.875m but the lifter engine "SSTU - SC-ENG - Merlin-1A" got a minimum mount diameter of 0.625m.

IMHO it should be the other way around.

Edit:

Wait, after detaching and reattaching the values are changed and make more sense now.

If you change the mount type for the LR81 you will have access to smaller diameters, it defaults to that 3:1 or whatever mount option.

• 2 weeks later...

TL;DR this mod has the potential to become the ultimate parts mod, perhaps the most popular one on CKAN, being an alternative for several of the big parts mods.

The customizable fuel tank(s) beats procedural parts and is the most useful part I've ever seen! With a better UI that's how it could work in KSP 2. One part replaces a few hundred - no jokes - and the mod also has a myriad of other highly-detailed, multi-function parts and habitats. I can't stress how much I wish this mod was being actively developed to become one mod to rule them all. It could use a custom UI and procedural replacements for even more parts (although it replaces most.) I'm not a fan of TweakScale because scaling engines defeats the purpose of having more than 1 of each type - SSTU doesn't scale them. It clusters them automatically with customizable mount types.

Unfortunately, it doesn't completely work in 1.10, as some parts are broken or invisible, and even the OP is outdated with the screenshots missing. Most features work correctly.

1aLi3NY.png

This one-part fuel tank is just an example of what you could customize a fuel tank into (not that you want to make something that looks like this.) But don't forget the rest of SSTU parts which may not be in the KSP art style (like the real engines) but look great nonetheless. 

Bug: the node at the top of this contraption is backwards.

SSTU is an alternative to many of the popular mods, allowing you to have 1 parts mod instead of 10 (if you want to have the same functionality but less parts): ReStock+, Fuel Tanks Plus, KW Rocketry, Near Future Launch Vehicles, SpaceY Heavy Lifters&Expanded, RLA - essentially any mod that adds fuel tanks, normal rocket engines and boosters but also adapters, and makes engine clusters using really well-modelled real-life engines with thrust up to 3300 kN. SSTU also rivals Near Future Solar, the 3rd most downloaded parts pack on CKAN, Kerbal Planetary Base System, Stockalike Station Parts (adding parts with the same functions) and other mods that add bigger lander and command modules to a degree, station parts and parts for bases.

I wish more of the parts were grouped into single parts using the B9 parts switch, such as the solar panels, habitats, etc. This is a must-have in a future update.

Why is this masterpiece of a mod no longer developed to the point that it's not even on CKAN and the screenshots from the OP are missing?

Edited by Krzeszny

I think Mage is busy in real life and/or taking a break. All the updates that squad pushes out does not really add to the motivation of keeping it working and also adding/improving parts. Every single update breaks mods and they pump out another update every month it seems. I finally upgraded my RSS install from 1.3.1 to 1.8.1 only to see they are now at 1.10.1 already with 1.11 in the works: it's just insane and I can imagine modders growing tired of it.

The mod has never supported CKAN and I think Mage is against it in the first place.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, Jimbodiah said:

I think Mage is busy in real life and/or taking a break. All the updates that squad pushes out does not really add to the motivation of keeping it working and also adding/improving parts. Every single update breaks mods and they pump out another update every month it seems. I finally upgraded my RSS install from 1.3.1 to 1.8.1 only to see they are now at 1.10.1 already with 1.11 in the works: it's just insane and I can imagine modders growing tired of it.

The mod has never supported CKAN and I think Mage is against it in the first place.

I'd also add that gamers are tired of trying to hack together working versions of viable KSP builds with these updates every time another mod breaking update gets released.

16 hours ago, SpaceX said:

I'd also add that gamers are tired of trying to hack together working versions of viable KSP builds with these updates every time another mod breaking update gets released.

You do know that you don't have to update if you don't want to?

I'm actually still amazed that we get a lifetime of bugfixes and content upgrades for a single fee. Mad props to Squad for that!
"Back in my day", we didn't get any updates to Silent Service or Maniac Mansion on the C64. Even later, none of the Wing Commander games I bought would receive bugfixes or new content. And those are just examples. The version you bought was generally the version you'd play. Forever. With bugs and quirks and all. Updates were usually called a sequel and would require additional payment.

"Too many updates!!1" is a very posh problem to have and one that you can fix by just not downloading them :cool:

On games relying on mods as heavily as KSP, yes there is such a thing as too many updates, specially if they break most mods each and every time.

I run an Ark and Conan clusters, and even though some big updates can be a PITA, the largest part of updates don't break a single thing while coming with several updates in a week.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 10:30 PM, Norcalplanner said:

I have this working just fine in a 1.10.1 Beyond Home career game.

It's been more than a year for me since I last used SSTU. Do you find the SSTU solar panels to be functioning properly in 1.10.x or should I just use Shadowmage's fuel tanks and conventional motors?

Edited by MaeharaProjekt

9 hours ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

It's been more than a year for me since I last used SSTU. Do you find the SSTU solar panels to be functioning properly in 1.10.x or should I just use Shadowmage's fuel tanks and conventional motors?

Honestly, I tend not to use the SSTU solar panels.  For me, it's all about the tanks, engines, and SRBs. 

I know Shadowmage is taking a break with IRL stuff; But just wanted to send a note of positive vibes and love for all the endless hours I've enjoyed this epic contribution. May life treat you well, no matter the path you wind up on! - A humble gamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.