[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

3 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Wow crazy to see people using this, I wrote it over a year ago and haven't really touched it since then so no guarantee it will work as intended!!

I may take a look at it again in the coming months, while I am enjoying my 3.2x game currently (it's perfect because it doesn't need any part re-balancing!) it still doesn't feel quite as grandiose or majestic as a 6.4x or 10x game....

I've only just scratched the surface with it, but it does appear to work. It did make the new RD180 crazy powerful, TWR on my current lifter went from 1.5 to well over 3.wow. :D I may have to scale it back. 

naaaaah

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What're the two little doohickeys off on the right that look like upside down bottle rockets?

As I understand it they are solid-fuel engine starting cartridges.  They provide the initial power to start up the turbo-pumps and get fuel flowing through at least the pre-burner system.

So, yeah, they kind of are like giant bottle rockets.

A bit more random dev work; bashed the AJ10 engines into the LMAE/LMDE engines (which have had only placeholders for such a long time I mostly forgot about them).

Yes, some of the texture coloring is a bit... messed up... on the LMAE.  It will be getting a new texture after I make sure the geometry is finished.

MCHAd9g.png

Yes, I'm also still working on the tanks / recoloring / modular parts stuff.  Should hopefully finish up the reworking on the MFT-D tanks over the weekend, and should be finishing up the texture rework on the MFT-A/B/C/CF/SF at the same time.  Looks like I might also be finally adding the MFT-S (spherical, non-framed) tank variant as well, since I've reworked the texture setups a bit to allow for the additional geometry that will be needed.

@Shadowmage Nice stuff, as always.

I am a bit sad, nothing to do with your work obviously. But I getting bored of doing the same thing over and over again. I would not describe this as a complain to Squad, I played kerbal  more than 1000 hours, its worth more than the few dollar I put in this game. I am just sad that we don't have more gameplay mod. Selling Space was the best I know. Would it be hard for a noob like me to port it to 1.2.2? Anyways... 

@tater Yeah, I am playing 6.4, rarely play with stock part. Most the stuff I use is SSTU or NFT/FFT based. I did try real solar system but bugs are just too annoying at that scale.

Really, when it come to core mechanics, there is very few thing I didn't attempted. Life support and such ad a layer of difficulty on top of that, but it remain the same core. All that is good, but once I figure out how to get it done, I have no more reason to do it. And campaign with the contract system is not that good, I never managed to have a campaign save past the mun... I would like a better campaign or some new stuff in that department.

1 minute ago, tater said:

Couldn't agree more on career.

Take a look at what Selling space was. It was really enjoyable and simple. The guy only posted it on Curse so it never had the attention it deserved.

@Shadowmage The Station part adapter are only cosmetic for now. I think I remember how to add volume to them. If you want I could do that for you, I am sure you would use some advanced technique to calculate the volume, on my part it will be arbitrary... As for inflatable part, It would be cool to be able to specify if a container get inflated or not... That way, you could have one of them (the cap or else) left unaffected by it.

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

@tater Yeah, I am playing 6.4, rarely play with stock part. Most the stuff I use is SSTU or NFT/FFT based. I did try real solar system but bugs are just too annoying at that scale.

Really, when it come to core mechanics, there is very few thing I didn't attempted. Life support and such ad a layer of difficulty on top of that, but it remain the same core. All that is good, but once I figure out how to get it done, I have no more reason to do it. And campaign with the contract system is not that good, I never managed to have a campaign save past the mun... I would like a better campaign or some new stuff in that department.

You tried realism overhault? That's the logical next step.

10 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey Shadowmage,

Great Mod!! I love it! :wink:

Great Work!! Thank you!

Do you have an estimation, when the newest version will be available on CKAN?

Here's the reply from about a year ago:

On 3/24/2016 at 1:06 PM, Shadowmage said:

Could be.  I was under the impression that only mods on KerbalStuff / SpaceDock / whatever it is called now were auto-indexed, but I could be wrong.

In the end there is little that I can actually do about it; as long as they are following the license requirements, I have no legal standing to stop them from redistributing it (as far as I know; not a lawyer).

I don't have a problem with the principal of CKAN; my problem comes from the... problems... it creates, and its propagation of the 'its okay if you don't know what you are doing...here let us do it for you' mentality.  Perhaps if you can't install a mod yourself you shouldn't be using mods at all?  I know, others will argue that it is more convenient/timely for them to use it; which is valid point, however there is no way to separate the 'added convenience' factor from the 'CKAN causes problems' factor.  So.. I'll just say that I will -not- be supporting any problems with CKAN installs, and leave it at that.

Edited by tater

15 hours ago, RedParadize said:

@Shadowmage The Station part adapter are only cosmetic for now. I think I remember how to add volume to them. If you want I could do that for you, I am sure you would use some advanced technique to calculate the volume, on my part it will be arbitrary... As for inflatable part, It would be cool to be able to specify if a container get inflated or not... That way, you could have one of them (the cap or else) left unaffected by it.

All of the code for enabling the station-core endcaps to contribute to volume is already in-place and working (its the same code that handles the core volume), it merely needs to be enabled in the configs.  All of the adapters/etc already have their volume specified in their model-data config.  It is intentional that the adapters do not currently contribute to usable volume of the parts, in order to maintain the specified balance regardless of the configuration (e.g. to make sure the DOS modules always have the specified dV).

But if you wanted to enable those features in your games, you can add the following lines to the SSTUModularStationCore module in each of those parts config files:

useAdapterVolume = true
useAdapterMass = true
useAdapterCost = true

The first line controls whether adapters will contribute to the available volume.  The second line controls if adapters will add additional dry mass (as specified in their model-data).  The last line is the same thing, but for cost (uses the cost specified in the model-data config).

17 hours ago, RedParadize said:

Maybe take a look at Galileos Planet Pack, combined with strategia I find it reasonably refreshing, although as you say the core gameplay is largely unchanged.

22 hours ago, RedParadize said:

Try this out for a vastly different career play experience.

Use Play Your Way, Strategia and State Funding Continued in Career Mode and using the GPP planet pack on 3.2x.  This will eliminate all contracts, make you rely on a combination of strategies and funding from your chosen State Funding role (which can be added to very easily to customize something for yourself), science returns and still leave you with the challenge of having deal with increased scale.  According to which role you choose you'll need to operate your program in a different way and your goals may quickly come into conflict with your needs.  Set your science returns low enough in Play Your Way to balance against your chosen role - it's a very, very adaptable system to vastly change how you play your career.

Was messing with a station, and the thing was spinning... I have a centrifuge, as well as the huge solar array. I am thinking that the solar array is counter-rotating the axis it is on, is that possible? The radiators are for looks, so maybe they torque the thing...

KS-1.png

LC2 with a Octo docking port on one side, and the usual port on the other. Tanks 100% monoprop for use as an assembly tug. The central spine was welded.

KS-1%20Assembly%20tug.png

1 hour ago, tater said:

Was messing with a station, and the thing was spinning... I have a centrifuge, as well as the huge solar array. I am thinking that the solar array is counter-rotating the axis it is on, is that possible? The radiators are for looks, so maybe they torque the thing...

LC2 with a Octo docking port on one side, and the usual port on the other. Tanks 100% monoprop for use as an assembly tug. The central spine was welded.

Interesting.... I haven't noticed any of the SSTU parts causing instability, but they very well could be (I certainly haven't tested all of them in every possible combination).

Is this reproducible; does it occur every time you are focused/flying the station?

Is there a craft file / save file that I could take a look at?

4 hours ago, tater said:

It will more likely be the BE-4, as there is a BE-4 in a test stand set to fire in the next few weeks, and AR-1 is only as real as that rendering right now, I think.

Who knows? Time will tell. I no ULA has expressed a lot of interest (not to mention a nice cash flow influx to BO for dev) for the BE-4. Can you imagine going through all of the work, time, money and effort do dev a whole new engine and not get to use it? Man.. .such is the life of gov contractors!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.