[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

It's already defined with exception to maybe 1-2 tank types. If you define it again, you will get errors and hangs when opening the container GUI.

Check for the VolumeContainer module in the part you want it added to and see if the line    resource = XenonGas is in the list like in my example above. If not; add it.   Let us know what tank you are referring to, maybe it can be added but I think you are using the MUS tank where it was omitted on purpose (edit: nope, MUS actually has it defined)?

Edit:  I see it's not defined for the MFT-A and MFT-D. Mage, do you want me to PR it into the A? Not sure about you wanting it added to the MFT-D though. 

Edited by Jimbodiah

10 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

I'm trying to add Xenon to SSTU tanks.

Xenon seems to be present for the L, R, S & MUS types. I would not have expected it in the MUS tanks. Might be useful in the A type configuration.

General Development Update:

Still working through the 'rewrite' of the modular part system.  Think I might need a bigger (or just better) in-editor part right-click menu... so... many... features....

/**
        * UI Layout for part right-click menu (Editor)
        * Line     Feature
        * 1        Diameter Adjust Control
        * 2        Nose Selection
        * 3        Upper Selection
        * 4        Core Selection
        * 5        Lower Selection
        * 6        Mount Selection
        * 7        Upper RCS Mounting Choice (nose/upper/core)
        * 8        Upper RCS Selection
        * 9        Upper RCS Offset
        * 10       Upper RCS Layout
        * 11       Lower RCS Mounting Choice (core/lower/mount)
        * 12       Lower RCS Selection
        * 13       Lower RCS Offset
        * 14       Lower RCS Layout
        * 15       Solar Panel Mouting Choice
        * 16       Solar Panel Selection
        * 17       Solar Panel Layout
        * 18       Nose Texture
        * 19       Upper Texture
        * 20       Core Texture
        * 21       Lower Texture
        * 22       Mount Texture
        * 23       Upper RCS Texture
        * 24       Lower RCS Texture
        * 25       Solar Panel Texture
        * 26       Nose Animation Toggle
        * 27       Nose Animation Deploy Limit
        * 28       Upper Animation Toggle
        * 29       Upper Animation Deploy Limit
        * 30       Core Animation Toggle
        * 31       Core Animation Deploy Limit
        * 32       Lower Animation Toggle
        * 33       Lower Animation Deploy Limit
        * 34       Mount Animation Toggle
        * 35       Mount Animation Deploy Limit
        * 36       Open Volume Container GUI
        * 37       Open Recoloring GUI
        * 38+++    Stock RCS, gimbal, ReactionWheel toggles (lots more lines)
        **/

/**
        * UI Layout for part right-click menu (Flight)
        * Line     Feature
        * 1        Solar Panel Status
        * 2        Nose Animation Toggle
        * 3        Nose Animation Deploy Limit
        * 4        Upper Animation Toggle
        * 5        Upper Animation Deploy Limit
        * 6        Core Animation Toggle
        * 7        Core Animation Deploy Limit
        * 8        Lower Animation Toggle
        * 9        Lower Animation Deploy Limit
        * 10       Mount Animation Toggle
        * 11       Mount Animation Deploy Limit
        * 12+++    Stock RCS, gimbal, ReactionWheel toggles (lots more lines)
        **/

The problem is I don't want (to develop, or to use) a new UI.  Stock code won't let me replace the existing one, so my only option is a button that opens a custom-built GUI (e.g. similar to the recoloring GUI).  Having tried that before... its less than ideal.

One option that might work would be to add yet-more-GUI controls that works like the stock RCS module 'toggle visibility' controls -- one button each for nose/upper/core/lower/mount/rcs1/rcs2/solar that show/hide the options for that section only.

Anyone know how many lines the stock right-click menu will comfortably display at standard 1080p resolutions?  Probably only something like ~20?

I'm currently trying to create a new SRB thrust curve, however the SRBs seem to flame-out when the thrust curve falls somewhat below 10% thrust, with the message "air combustion failed". Does anybody know the reason for this?

It also happens with the "gradual" sstu thrust curve, and causes some fuel to be left unburnt in the SRB.

5 minutes ago, Mike` said:

I'm currently trying to create a new SRB thrust curve, however the SRBs seem to flame-out when the thrust curve falls somewhat below 10% thrust, with the message "air combustion failed". Does anybody know the reason for this?

It also happens with the "gradual" sstu thrust curve, and causes some fuel to be left unburnt in the SRB.

Can't say as I've seen that myself, but I would think it is related to this line in the ModuleEngines configs:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/blob/master/GameData/SSTU/Parts/ShipCore/Engines/SC-ENG-AJ10-137.cfg#L144

Thanks for the quick reply, though that doesn't seem to change it, set it to 0.01 but the SRB still flame-outs. The exact number it flameouts seems to be around 7%. I'll google a bit more for this, i guess.

Edit: I've found the reason:

flameoutBar and CLAMP. These control how flameouts occurs. When the combined flow multiplier (product of atmCurve and velCurve) is below flameoutBar, the engine will flame out because "air combustion failed". The minimum flow multiplier will never go below CLAMP (to avoid a divide by zero error). You probably never need to touch CLAMP, but if you want a lower flameout bar than 7% (0.07) you can specify it

Setting flameoutBar to something more sensible like 0.001 for the SRB-parts "fixes" the problem.

On another note, i had to be reminded again that the x axis for SRB thrust curves is the amount of propellant left, not the burn time as one might expext, correct?

I think burn time would be easier for end-users to use, but probably isn't that simple to implement?

Edited by Mike`

2 hours ago, Mike` said:

Speaking of SRB's, I've been having trouble with mine, namely, the segment count. I can get one and two segment boosters, but not any more than that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.