[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Has anyone gotten this to work for LH2

maybe he?

or :

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[LaunchClamp]]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleGenerator]
    {
        @OUTPUT_RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]
        {
            @rate = 100 //1 is normal
        }
    }
}

when that not worked, then the direct way into the cfg:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGenerator
        isAlwaysActive = true
        isGroundFixture = true
        OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = LqdHydrogen
            rate = 20
        }
    }

Edited by Burning Kan
mm-cfg+part cfg

3 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

This is a stock module?

That particular one is, yes.

You can see a list of all of the stock PartModule classes here:  https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_part_module.html

Click on the name of any module to browse its fields.  It doesn't look like their API scraping captured the [KSPField] declarations, but any values listed under 'Public Attributes' should be accessible as a config value for that module.

E.G. The stock SAS module lists the following 'public attributes'  -- https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_module_s_a_s.html

int 	CommandModuleIndex = -1 
bool 	RequireCrew = false 
int 	SASServiceLevel = 0 
bool 	standalone = false
string 	standaloneStateText = "" 
bool 	standaloneToggle = true

It is very probably that those are all valid config file entries.

In general development news:

More work on cleaning up issues in KSPWheel (dust-effects null-ref log spam), more fixes in TU (transparent materials, flag decals), and finally figured out why some of my config node parsing was returning values in reversed order (changes in stock code that now write-out config nodes backwards). 

That last one has been a head-scratcher for a couple of weeks now, as the problem itself was making debugging it difficult;  the problem was that the configNode.ToString() method would return values in the opposite order they were defined in the config file, and I use that method to 'store' config nodes in text form within some of the part-module classes.  So when the config node is stored into text, the values get reversed.  It is then reloaded from the text form, in the order that it was stored (backwards).  Any attempt to use the ToString() method to debug those reloaded nodes would display the 'proper' order, as it would re-reverse the ordering in the displayed text output.

100% certainly a 'bug' in stock code.  Likely it was someone trying to make an optimization regarding a loop iterator, but in many cases iterating backwards is incorrect -- notably anytime you are iterating a list or array -- ordering is important, and you cannot arbitrarily re-order a list or array (part of the 'contract' of a list or array is that the ordering is guaranteed by the implementation; it is one of the main reasons to use a list or array compared to some other unordered storage method).  Only that is exactly what the stock code is doing -- re-ordering a list of values, arbitrarily and without explicit (or implicit) instruction.  Worse yet -- the code worked fine in previous KSP versions (it iterated values in the proper order in the ToString() method).  This was an intentional and unnecessary change someone made; a change that should have never made it past review and into production code; a change that cost me at least a few nights worth of dev time to track down and hack around.

So, with that figured out and mostly worked around, I can finally get back to actual progress.

As I was working on fixing up some PBR texture sets, I though 'ehh, why not give it a try'.... and enabled basic PBR shaders for all of the lineup of engine models.  Some definitely came across better than others, but the effects aren't bad for a simple shader swap (zero changes to textures), especially considering its really only using half of the texture inputs properly (AO is still baked into the DIFF, no metallic maps at all).

Merlins came across a bit too dark looking.

1bomvqD.png

RD-107/108a came across pretty good.

u2t0ura.png

Conversion of the -0110 was... not so great

t8NjrKl.png

Interesting contrasts on the RS-25

Apr9s5B.png

F1B Looks pretty good

EELa2gG.png

RL10 needs some changes to the diffuse, spec, and metallic maps for a better look.

C9yGxGe.png

The RD-180 series are all far too reflective with the basic conversion.  Will need better specular and metallic maps.  The NRM details on the bells looks pretty good, but the base surface is simply too reflective (too smooth/not rough enough).

7QfJ3o3.png

If for nothing else than consistency, I'll probably include this basic PBR conversion of engines with future releases.  I still want to create proper PBR textures for all engines at some point, but this quick and dirty patch will likely fill in for the meantime.

15 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Those RD180s would look cool like that if they would be lighter :). My favorite kerolox engines by far, and they just got better :wink:

And those Merlins. Mnom mnom mnom!!!!

I'm a big fan of the RD-181 myself, simply because it's a bit more versatile. Compare it to the Skipper, and the RD-181 is superior pretty much across the board.

RD-180s are good too, but they're a bit too powerful to be used as a second stage in my typical applications.

Edited by Norcalplanner

Here is some more 'shine' to help your shin object obsessions :)

6V0XW2a.png

Trying out KS3P, seeing how well it works alongside TU and the PBR shaders.  While the default configs on KS3P are perhaps a bit overdone, it all seems to work together properly (minus a bug with one of the features that doesn't load under GLCore).

On 4/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, Shadowmage said:

As I was working on fixing up some PBR texture sets, I though 'ehh, why not give it a try'.... and enabled basic PBR shaders for all of the lineup of engine models.  Some definitely came across better than others, but the effects aren't bad for a simple shader swap (zero changes to textures), especially considering its really only using half of the texture inputs properly (AO is still baked into the DIFF, no metallic maps at all).

Merlins came across a bit too dark looking.

1bomvqD.png

RD-107/108a came across pretty good.

u2t0ura.png

Conversion of the -0110 was... not so great

t8NjrKl.png

Interesting contrasts on the RS-25

Apr9s5B.png

F1B Looks pretty good

EELa2gG.png

RL10 needs some changes to the diffuse, spec, and metallic maps for a better look.

C9yGxGe.png

The RD-180 series are all far too reflective with the basic conversion.  Will need better specular and metallic maps.  The NRM details on the bells looks pretty good, but the base surface is simply too reflective (too smooth/not rough enough).

7QfJ3o3.png

If for nothing else than consistency, I'll probably include this basic PBR conversion of engines with future releases.  I still want to create proper PBR textures for all engines at some point, but this quick and dirty patch will likely fill in for the meantime.

It’s amazing how much value PBR adds to texture quality. I’ve started to work nondestructively in photoshop so I can more easily export pbr textures when the time comes. This should be part of the stock game. Considering how much effort was put into adapting Squad legacy shaders,  as well as a planned part update, you’d think they would have just went with the standard shader model.

26 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

So, 1.4 release tomorrow?  :wink:

Hehe... if only....

You can try out the KSP141 branch from github if you wanted to see the state of things.  A lot is working, but still a lot to fix / update / finish.

More fixes today (one step closer to a 1.4 version) -- Command Pod cabin and docking lights.  The config syntax for the modules had changed on these, so all of the parts needed to be fixed.  They are now fixed up, working, and no longer spamming my log with errors.

More glamour shots...  (KS3P bloom is perhaps overdone.... but the results are highly effective for cinematic shots)

gbnQ739.png

(I promise, I'm working on getting everything fixed for 1.4 as fast as I can, and lots of stuff is 'working', but still a lot is very much broken; still going to be at least a few weeks... I'll try to narrow down that timeframe when I know more)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.