WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

Did some inital work on a Biplane entry today. Pretty happy with it so far. Planned combat weight will probably be around 1.8t to 1.9t giving it a nice TWR of .6 in most cases. It's still a draggy piece of poop so it can't effectively accelerate past 90 m/s under its own power. Still, decent handling in the 50-90 m/s range, (max recorded G's in a dive was about 8.5). Doesn't have enough elevator authority to easily stall its main wing (I'd like to give it more, but need to make it AI proof).

B5BAF59AD38DAC3F592000253F56464268F12A6C On the runway

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/447332276392131476/6210C1225EE681AEC389A07A4412215E75700DC1/ Climbing pretty well for a 50% sport engine

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/447332276392131976/A6DBF3ABA3DF5AA4594E67B499348D6DEEC00B0E/ I hope it'll turn well enough to compete with other designs, it's pretty fragile, so if it can't out-turn something it's kinda dead.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/447332276392132107/121D6C29785F29E8410AAAE63EFA064995BDC49D/ landing is hilariously easy in that you just fly across the ground at 35 m/s and cut power while pulling up, it'll safely drift onto the ground.

@Phearlock: it looks so exotic, amazing.

My strategy was a bit different, it's more on the heavy side so I can reach around 430km/h on a straight line at about 400m alt.

Mine is basically an energy fighter :P

8.5gs on a dive, now that's something.

Mine weights 3 tons, it handles like crap below 200km/h but is also super easy to land, the static landing legs are strong.

I stay very far away from stalling at any situation, but I can only fight at high speeds, now I just need to tweak the AI to fight like I want it to.

I only have one weak side, but I dare you can ever land a single bullet there.

@TUKE: Awesome!

Doesn't anyone want to offer up an early test version of their craft for us to play with? I've been flying against myself and I have to say I've one every single match, I suspect that may be a bit misleading though.

After hours of testing I have finished finalizing my mono fighter.

It has impressive Roll rate, pitch rate and yaw rate. I have the AI running it at 20 steer factor with no issues (unless it looses an engine).

Mass is ~5.7tons

Max vertical G lot is ~22G

4G sustained turn.

Max flat speed is Mach .6

Armament: 3x BrowningM2 50cal

It feels slightly underpowered with the twin Aerosports. It lacks the power and agility of my Radial tractor fighter. Though, it make up for it for it some what with higher top speed due to better aerodynamics and better max speed turn rate.

yRfTxyL.png

- - - Updated - - -

@Darren9 here's my grinding stone. http://kerbalx.com/Kunighit/StarlingR-6B might want to reconfig the Machine guns for the new point system. And then set the steer factor to 20. Good Luck.

Edited by Kunighit

Ok so, we put a LOT of effort on our planes, do you agree it would be more fair if the submissions were made via pm, so that the first to submit doesn't get drawn back?

And are you allright with sharing the crafts or it would be better to keep it private?

For one side keeping it private gives a much nicer feel, you need to watch how the enemy behaves and learn with it, but on the other hand it's a bit harsh on newbies.

I would go for a mid-ground and share prototypes on a special section of the challenge, a trainer craft repository, what do you think?

*btw you can say that I will have the crafts so I can cheat, well you have to trust me here, I won't touch my craft after opening the round.

When at my pc I will share my secondary trainer, it's an experiment gone wrong so it should not be hard to beat.

It's good for testing the behavior of your craft, when mine fights against itself it doesn't do anything that it does against other craft.

@TUKE: biplanes are hard, go for piston monoplanes.

Rly, if you are not a FAR veteran you should avoid biplanes.

I'm not too concerned about winning so much as having a bunch of fun planes to mess with. I'll post up the current (not final) version of my Biplane if people want to analyze it a bit for help with their own designs. I'd especially suggest looking at the main wings, as that's what I put the most work into. Also, feel free to set the trust limiter to 100% and make it fight prop monoplanes. =P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m9yes143gny19j/Kokker%20F2.craft?dl=0 Requires the WII weapons pack/BDarmory linked here as well as B9 Procedural wings.

Also @Tuke, grab this and pick it apart, it's slow, but it flies nicely. See if you can take some inspiration for your own biplane =)

Ok so, we put a LOT of effort on our planes, do you agree it would be more fair if the submissions were made via pm, so that the first to submit doesn't get drawn back?

And are you allright with sharing the crafts or it would be better to keep it private?

For one side keeping it private gives a much nicer feel, you need to watch how the enemy behaves and learn with it, but on the other hand it's a bit harsh on newbies.

I would go for a mid-ground and share prototypes on a special section of the challenge, a trainer craft repository, what do you think?

*btw you can say that I will have the crafts so I can cheat, well you have to trust me here, I won't touch my craft after opening the round.

When at my pc I will share my secondary trainer, it's an experiment gone wrong so it should not be hard to beat.

It's good for testing the behavior of your craft, when mine fights against itself it doesn't do anything that it does against other craft.

I'm a noob at FAR (My F-82 is my first operational plane, so it stalls alot ^-^), i don't mind making my designs public. In regards to the tournament itself, will planes be put against each other in 'classes' (EG: Fighter, Heavy Fighter etc)? Or will they fight based on specs?

On a different topic, When the new BDA update rolls out, what will the policy on the use of Radar be? Nothing major, mostly for show, but some WW2 heavy fighters used it for night operations.

When BDArmory updates we will disable the new radars and continue to use the old method, as that is not the point of the tournament.

Ok, so if anyone wants to submit in-private can do it via PM, but must at least share one prototype with us, doesn't need to be the same airplane.

There are no subdivisions further than the classes stated on the OP, so it's all vs. all inside of a class (Biplanes, piston monoplane and jet).

But the best of a category may go to the hall of fame if it's good enough (best heavy fighter, etc.) :)

I guess I am being convinced to share my hangar, this is aparently less "competitive" than I have thought...

...nah, beat me first!

I'd like to pm my plane.

Also, if you don't mind, I'm going to release my guns separate, because I like the damage values a bit closer to real life. The balance I chose was according to the fact that machine guns have a higher fire rate so it's easier to hit something, cannons need only 4-5 hits but harder to hit. Hitting an armored target with .303's will take a long time, etc. I haven't tested the new pack yet, just got home.

Furthermore it's nice to have separate classes for self-built cockpits and stock, stock having a better aerodynamic profile but much heavier (and much uglier).

The creator of Retrofuture has released all his assets to the public! The KAX engines are nice but I really wanna get into adapting a few Retrofuture engines so they have stats comparable with real life. I'm a bit of an engine nut, much more than weapons. The transparent cockpits are a big plus as well!

Well, that is cool, do you have a link?

Anyway, we will continue not using them for now, the challenge is already balanced and IMO we have enough mods.

Also, people are already working on their planes, so that would be a bit uncomfortable.

Since the assets are public I can add some cockpits to the challenge pack on the future.

Cockpit style is more a design choice, they don't screw up aero as much as it seems and are an order of magnitude lighter.

Adding new engines is also a problem, we already have everything that we need.

Lets run the challenge like this until KSP updates then we move on to AJE propellers and everything gets magically balanced :)

My entry, the Vickers F.B.5 Gunbus, the first ever purpose built fighter aircraft, this two seat pusher configuration aircraft served with the Royal air force from 1914 to 1916, and was armed with a .303 (7.7mm) Lewis gun on a swivel mounting.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

800px-Vickers_FB.5_Gunbus_2345_G-ATVP_Yvtn_09.07.66_edited-3.jpg

Craft file.

You would not believe how much rotating and translating with the gizmos this took, and its flight is best described as "erratic", I'm hoping it'll just randomly fall out of the path of enemy fire and there's no way to make it look accurate and also keep the mass down low enough so it takes off.

So yeah, anyone looking for craft ideas maybe should skip this one...

So i had a go at making a Jet, Holy cow those specs are tight... xD

The XF-163 Komet

http://i.gyazo.com/b0668edece4f6de0eb34d891215d7530.jpg

http://i.gyazo.com/b0668edece4f6de0eb34d891215d7530.jpg

It might just be me and my noobiness at FAR, but a jet that is 5m long is gonna be a challenge in itself, let alone the 4t weight limit

It looks cute!

Btw, those are minimal values, tinny jets are OP

And you can use two of that engine, that helps a lot :)

@sal: LOL, awesome.

That turret is disallowed but I make an exception here...

Actually I will try it then see if I should re-add it

Edited by tetryds

It looks cute!

@sal: LOL, awesome.

That turret is disallowed but I make an exception here...

Actually I will try it then see if I should re-add it

Maybe you want to have a rule edit something like "you can use the previously allowed setups or a SINGLE turret... " that would allow somebody to try a boulton paul defiant type awful design...

Maybe you want to have a rule edit something like "you can use the previously allowed setups or a SINGLE turret... " that would allow somebody to try a boulton paul defiant type awful design...

I am testing it right now, I need to balance it first.

But I will simply add it to the allowed weapons for biplanes only and make it cost 10 points ;)

The challenge is now officially open!

The weapons pack will only be updated with better descriptions and small fixes as required.

Now you can start submitting your craft either here or via PM!

Make sure to re-read all the rules, some may have changed slightly.

And verify the allowed weapons, some weapons are only allowed on specific categories.

At first we will have a normal elimination matchmaking, but the crafts which lose will have a second chance, the battles start as soon as I have 4 submissions on a specific category.

Good fight for everyone!

*turret added for biplanes.

@TUKE: gameplay balance does bad things, it hurts but had to be done.