WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

Release it! Release it neeeaaaaaawwwww!

In all seriousness, those weapons look fantastic. It s everything I've always wanted.

Well, that is the WIP of a part of the weapon set, unpolished tip of the iceberg.

When will you be able to release them, do you reckon?

ETAs are devil, it will be ready when it's ready.

I will try to have at least one working model of each type ready for when the current tournament ends.

Then different configs using the same model as a placeholder, every weapon will have a custom model when it's finished.

But given how fast VintageXP makes these, this may not be needed.

Edited by tetryds

Did I mention that I am considering using AJE and allowing heavy fighters?

Did I also mention that depending on how well 1.1 performs on my desktop I am also planning on having events with up to 4 vs 4 battles?

And that some of these battles may consist of two fighters and one heavy fighter per side (can be built by different players) and run on custom kerbal konstructs battlegrounds?

Finally, that I plan to pull the graphics settings through the roof and give at least some love to every video?

Well, now I did.

Heavy fighters, you say?

RwvOq1d.png

Yes, it does pull slightly to the left... I haven't quite finished balancing it yet. :P

The one used on Me 262 was a 50mm, but yeah, when I saw it I thought about the exact same thing.

I know, but I feel that strapping a 4cm gun to the front of a jet is a much more realistic and conservative option than a 5cm one. Damn the Germans and their legendary exuberance!

I'm not gonna lie, I can't wait for the tournament to restart. Working on something that will give you all quite a show! :sticktongue:

Indeed, I think that everybody is.

Here is the final battle of the round 1!

From now on, everybody who loses will be permanently eliminated.

Also, on the next tournament version, crafts with control input issues like this one will be disqualified.

Same goes for crafts that cannot steer or drag parts on the ground, like the Rotzooi and the Piston Fighter.

Edited by tetryds

Tedryds, I saw your challenge board, so our planes will fight again? or you'll restart challenge?

The airplanes which lost one battle on the first round have another chance.

But from now on, every plane which loses will be eliminated.

I will restart the challenge after this one is finished, then all mods will be updated, etc. (and also because we had a round 16 entries so that was perfect).

I will restart the challenge after this one is finished, then all mods will be updated, etc. (and also because we had a round 16 entries so that was perfect).

But you will restart it before the 1.1 happens, right? Seems like the upcoming update still hase some way to go before it's released and the BAD-T is getting close to be finished.

E: I assume by saying 'control input issues' you mean the overall wobbliness and insufficient Roll/Yaw/Pitch?

Edited by Veeltch

@Veeltch, I am leaving for a week now, but I imagine that I will be able to finish the first BAD-T tournament before the next update drops.

8 battles have been fought, 15 left.

By the way, the losers bracket will fight for second place, not first, it seems unfair to allow a craft that lost once get the first place.

And, of course, another teaser:

mH2zyKe.png

It would be really nice if instead of an arbitrary limit on the number of guns, there was a more organic way of preventing someone putting 50 heavy cannons on their craft.

In reality, storage space is one of the biggest limiting factor for a fighter's armament, but that doesn't really apply in KSP, so perhaps we could have very heavy guns/ammo instead so that putting too many guns on board will result in a plane that flies poorly.

Cannon could be limited more by the weight and reduced quantity of the ammo as well as the additional weight of the weapon it's self..

@Browning: yes, it would be amazing if the only limitations came from the game itself.

But, as you said, unfortunatelly the game does not offer that, so it has to be done artificially.

I am thinking of better ways to limit the weapons, but first we need to see if the AI will be able to use more than one weapon at a time.

Hah, speaking of weapons, it was kinda funny, at first I was looking at the 3x Browing M2 setup for the Spike 5, but then I realized... I could actually fire for longer with the 2x 20mm cannons as the ammo weighed less relative to rate of fire. And don't even get me started on 7mm, I'd lose the >1 TWR if I had to put in enough ammo for those 4x 7mm guns to get the same combat endurance I'd get from the 20mm cannons...

@Browning: yes, it would be amazing if the only limitations came from the game itself.

But, as you said, unfortunatelly the game does not offer that, so it has to be done artificially.

I am thinking of better ways to limit the weapons, but first we need to see if the AI will be able to use more than one weapon at a time.

What do you think about simply making the guns and/or ammo very heavy?

Phearlock brings up some good points about weight balance as well.

The system with points for each weapon works better IMO. I don't really like the idea of ammo being heavier than IRL. We're not using uranium rounds here, right? It's just that the points for each weapon have to be balanced. Or maybe there should be historically accurate weapons combinations, though it's not the best idea either, because we don't build replicas here.

Anyway, my thoughts are messy today, but I vote for the points-per-gun to stay. It's just that tetryds needs to figure out the right numbers for each of them since he's the boss here.

EDIT: Or (!) the guns could have built-in ammo racks.

Edited by Veeltch

I am always open to suggestions, but I don't think that making them extra heavy will be good, that is not their purpose.

Now ammo, for instance, was made totally free for this very reason, Phearlock gave a very nice example on how to work with it.

By the way, you will be able to have more guns on the next version of the challenge than now.

Yes I also considered fixed loadouts, but remember that real life is not balanced.

And having premade loadouts wouldnt be as fun.

I mean, we end up already having fixed loadouts anyway haha.

Thats a main reason why we need the AI to use many weapons.

I guess I know how to set heavy fighter requirements, but will have to experiment first.

Reminding that I am out for a few days before I run more battles.

Guys, I don't want to worry you, or anything... Just be prepared:

NwgeFGo.png

Gz1RI98.png

Those are 2x Aerosports @100% thrust at less than 100 meters above the sea level. No diving involved. I give you IAS and Surface speeds because I'm not sure which one is more important.

Note I'm still waiting for the guns to be released and put on the thing. The top speed might change when I do so.

Is this a good result?

Edited by Veeltch