WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

BAD-T moved to a new thread! 

6FL0oT3.png

THE TOURNAMENT:

[table=width: 650, align: center]

[tr]

[td]The tournament consists on 2x2 World War 2 themed airplane battles, the airplanes will fight against each other while being controlled by BDArmory's AI.

The airplanes do not have to be replicas nor resemble real aircraft, but the weapons and engines allowed will have similar performance to those from the second world war.

Every class will have it's own leaderboard, making this a three-in-one challenge.

The "Hall of Fame" will be made to display the most unique airplane designs, as well as the top performing ones.

Every victory scores your airplane one point.

After a certain amount of losses, your entry is eliminated.

You score per class, it is the highest achieved score on the class, be it ongoing or from an already eliminated craft.

The crafts will be spawned close to the KSC, their orientation varies.

The greater winner of each class will have a chance to compete on the next class with an engine boost, earning two extra points per victory per class distance (biplane pwns jet = 4 points).

Going to a higher class instantly puts your craft on the hall of fame, and losing on a higher tier does not eliminate the craft.

After being the overall winner on the Jet class the airplane will be matched against three opponent jets.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

CLASSES:

[tr]

[td]There will be three classes: Biplanes, Piston Monoplanes and Jets.

Each class has it's own setup of weapons and engines.

Biplanes:

Have two main wings.

Allowed engine(s): 1x A7 Aerosport @50.5% Max Thrust.

Allowed weapon(s): ShKAS / Breda-SAFAT / M1917 Browning

Weapon points: 10

Open cockpits.

Difficulty: Hard

Piston Monoplanes:

Have one single main wing.

Allowed engine(s): 2x A7 Aerosport @100% Max Thrust. / 1x D-25 Radial @80% Max Thrust / 1x PT100 Turboprop @36% Max Thrust

Allowed weapon(s): ShKAS / Breda-SAFAT / Browning M2 / BerezinUBS / Hispanio-Suiza .404 / MauserMG151

Weapon points: 30

Cockpit setup may vary.

Difficulty: Medium

Jets:

Can have any wing setup.

Minimum weight and size: 5m lenght, 4 tons, width and height are free.

Allowed engine(s): 2x J85 GE-4 turbojet

Allowed weapon(s): ShKAS / Breda-SAFAT / Hispanio-Suiza .404 / MauserMG151 / Browning M2 / BerezinUBS / Browning M3

Weapon points: 40

Closed cockpits

Difficulty: Medium[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

WEAPONS:

[table=width: 300, align: center]

[tr]

[td]ShKAS

Breda-SAFAT

M1917 Browning

Browning M2

BerezinUBS

Hispanio-Suiza

MauserMG151

Browning M3

[/td]

[td]7mm

7mm

7mm

.50 cal

.50 cal

20mm

20mm

.50 cal[/td]

[td]5 points

5 points

10 points

10 points

10 points

15 points

15 points

20 points[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

BATTLES:

[tr]

[td]A battle consists on the 3 best out of 5 combats.

The airplanes will take off facing north with a 60 degree angle from each other.

The combat starts when the teams of one side are changed.

In order to win, one team must destroy all enemy aircraft.

If for some reason the airplanes flee or land safely, the battle is run again.

A disabled craft is not a destroyed craft, as long as it can fly it's golden.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

MODS:

[tr]

[td]The required mods are:

- FAR

- KAX

- BDArmory (version 0.8.3)

- AJE (dev version 2.3, JETS ONLY, DO NOT USE WITH PROPELLERS)

- Special challenge pack (ww2 weapons)

The optional mods are:

- Adjustable Landing Gears

- Procedural parts

- B9 Procedural wings

The utility mods are:

- Take Command[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

RULES:

[tr]

[td]Submitting:

- Submit the craft by posting a valid download link on this thread and stating that it's a submission, or sending it to me via private message, pictures are welcome.

- Every player can have up to one active vessel per class.

- If one craft is eliminated from the tournament, the player will be allowed to submit another craft to that class.

- Submitting the same craft again is allowed but not recommended, as long as it's not abused (if your design fails, deal with it, haha.).

- You can resubmit your craft until it's announced that it is going to battle.

Craft:

- Your craft must fit the definitions of it's own class and contain no more than 80 parts.

- Open cockpits must be safe, that means that the kerbal must not be too exposed nor sit on extreme parts of the craft.

- Turrets are only allowed with a kerbal comfortably sited behind it (no kerbal hanging on a wing or something like that).

- It must fly with FAR and be able to takeoff on it's own when using the AI.

- The craft must contain at least one Kerbal pilot and both BDArmory's Weapons Manager and AI module, which can be clipped anywhere.

- It must not contain rocket grade parts other than max 4 fixed radiators, which are only allowed on open cockpits. (Oscar-B and the shortest 1.25m tank are exceptions)

- Scientific instruments are allowed for aesthetic purposes.

- When present, the cockpit reaction wheels must be turned off.

- Parts can be freely clipped, as long there is no abuse and no resource stacking. (fuel tank inside fuselage is ok, fuel tank inside fuel tank is not)

- When FAR updates, you will have the chance to update the settings of the AI and control surfaces of the active airplanes you already submitted.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

LEADERBOARD:

BRACKETS

[table=align: center][tr][td]Competitor:[/td][td]Piston Monoplane:[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]nigelxw[/td][td]Delilah Mk2a[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Phearlock[/td][td]KF-Spike 5[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Gojira[/td][td]KZ-211Z[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Darren9[/td][td]Daz Mk5[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]erasmusguy[/td][td]RasTech K4U[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Azimech[/td][td]Rotzooe3.2[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Jakokidda123[/td][td]F-82 Twin Mustang[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]tetryds[/td][td]Maelstorm[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Kunight[/td][td]Sanka II V2[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]VentZer0[/td][td]VZ-38[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]TUKE[/td][td]Dukes L-19[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]qromodynmc[/td][td]deithwen 1-a[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]worir4[/td][td]Speegle MkI[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]sal_vager[/td][td]The Manx[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Alphasus[/td][td]Piston Fighter[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]QuesoExplosivo[/td][td]Stinger[/td][/tr][/table]

HALL OF FAME:

BRING IT ON!

VZ-38

"Tanking is not only about taking punches on the face, it's an art."

SO CUTE!

Delilah Mk.2a

"Shooting around and looking good."

BADGE:

Add this participation badge to your signature!

New badges will be made for accomplishments on the future.

Um7k5lL.png

Ok, Biplane on the way! :D

I believe that the biplanes are the hardest, haha.

Keep your weight low and you don't really need a lot of fuel, nor need to go too high.

I will be giving FAR advices on this thread.

Any room for a WWII German TIE fighter? :D

http://i.imgur.com/bfBHK94.png

haha this looks amazing.

Try it with 2x A7 Aerosport @ 30~50% Max Thrust and see how it goes.

I am thinking about allowing using 2 A7s because P38.

Try it out and tell me what you get :)

@PixelStory:

Move your main wings back a bit and decrease elevator deflection.

The first FAR tips link on my sig will solve all of your problems.

Edited by tetryds

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/gladiatr.jpg

WWII biplanes did have closed cockpits !!! (historical accuracy is "everything")

But they are not replicas, and it's better to keep everyone under the same standards.

The point of open cockpits is that the pilot can get shot during the battles.

Also, it looks a lot better :)

So, requirement for open cockpits stay.

Unless everyone is heavily against it, but that defeats the point of having a biplane class.

@PixelStory: We still don't have configs for biplane weapons, but you can try these for now:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129182-Gauging-interest-stock-BD-Armory-dogfighters-AI-tournament?p=2104239&viewfull=1#post2104239

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129182-Gauging-interest-stock-BD-Armory-dogfighters-AI-tournament?p=2105474&viewfull=1#post2105474

Edited by tetryds

Great. I have a question for FAR. When I made a plane earlier today, when I tried to turn it kept bouncing back and forth.

Did my recommendation I made in the other thread not work? If your plane is bouncing it means it's reaching maximum AoA during turns, and stalling.

Okay. So I just finished my biplane and I have 2 complaints.

1. When I used my open cockpit, the back side of my plane split and stayed frozen air. Then I used a regular

cockpit then everything went fine. So, can the open cockpit be optional and be rewarded instead of having

to make one.

2. I think 40 % thrust is to low. My biplane weighs 6 tons (I don't know if thats a lot in biplane standards)

and the highest speed I could get was about 50 - 60 m/s and could not sustain flight when it went off the runway.

I am not trying to be rude just trying to help the thread develop the rules before any Tourney happens. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Did my recommendation I made in the other thread not work? If your plane is bouncing it means it's reaching maximum AoA during turns, and stalling.

I was trying to gather ideas so I haven't tested what you said yet. I am doing it in a few mins though.

1. When I used my open cockpit, the back side of my plane split and stayed frozen air. Then I used a regular

cockpit then everything went fine. So, can the open cockpit be optional and be rewarded instead of having

to make one.

2. I think 40 % thrust is to low. My biplane weighs 6 tons (I don't know if thats a lot in biplane standards)

and the highest speed I could get was about 50 - 60 m/s and could not sustain flight when it went off the runway.

I am not trying to be rude just trying to help the thread develop the rules before any Tourney happens. ;)

The He-51 is about 2 tons loaded. So yeah, your plane is a bit heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

to make one.

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to gather ideas so I haven't tested what you said yet. I am doing it in a few mins though.

That's the only option. The problem is that planes have a maximum angle of attack. If you don't know, the angle of attack is the angle at which your wing is hitting the airflow.

If you have a 20 degree maximum angle of attack, that means if your wing is angled 20 degrees from the direction you are actually moving, you will enter a stall.

350px-StallFormation.svg.png

You need to reduce control authority so your plane doesn't stall during turns. That's why modern aircraft have AoA limiters.

So My back fins were at 100% Pitch. Reduced it 75% Should it be at 15%?

Set the pitch to about 80%-90& and the control deflection to 12-14.

I had the same problem over on the 5th gen fighter challenge and they had me set the pitch to 90% and the deflection to 12. That worked.

@PixelStory: That is because biplanes are like "hard mode" on this challenge.

I heavily recommend going for piston monoplanes, they are the easiest right now.

With 35% thrust on a 3.5 tons biplane I managed to get to speeds of around 400km/h on a straight line at low altitudes, so they are not underpowered, you are just used to overpowered engines.

I will add some sort of difficulty tag to the biplanes, they look easy but they are not.

About the cockpit ripping your craft apart, have you checked how fast you were when that happened?

That seems like a FAR bug that should be reported, but the latest dev version made some changes to debris.

And yes, RocketTurtle is right.

Some propeller planes can have their deflection as low as 4 degrees.

Read the first FAR tip linked on my sig, please, it explains everything.

@PixelStory: That is because biplanes are like "hard mode" on this challenge.

I heavily recommend going for piston monoplanes, they are the easiest right now.

With 35% thrust on a 3.5 tons biplane I managed to get to speeds of around 400km/h on a straight line at low altitudes, so they are not underpowered, you are just used to overpowered engines.

I will add some sort of difficulty tag to the biplanes, they look easy but they are not.

About the cockpit ripping your craft apart, have you checked how fast you were when that happened?

That seems like a FAR bug that should be reported, but the latest dev version made some changes to debris.

And yes, RocketTurtle is right.

Some propeller planes can have their deflection as low as 4 degrees.

Read the first FAR tip linked on my sig, please, it explains everything.

Are you using the optional mods for the plane?

Hmm... Trying all things you said and it doesn't work. Does the back wings being higher than the front ones have to do with it? Also, if you want to look at the plane I can give you the file on KerbalX.

Oops. Posted this after the last 2 posts. Yea I will try the piston monoplane.

When I switched to the part suspended in air, it said about 176 o.o

Edited by PixelStory

Hmm... Trying all things you said and it doesn't work. Does the back wings being higher than the front ones have to do with it? Also, if you want to look at the plane I can give you the file on KerbalX.

Yeah give me the .craft. Are you using the any of the optional mods?