WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

For cockpits, CoffeeSE has a few good WW2 ones. They just need to be built in a certain way because the nodes no longer work as they should. Also will there be bonus points for being a replica? Also i was thinking of submitting my Westland Lysander which only uses BDA and KAX, however it hasn't been tested in FAR and uses the old KAX power settings. (However the Lizzie i think has the thrust limiter set to 50% at least so it might be ok)

- - - Updated - - -

Also whats the policy about rear gunners? Because the issue i have is that the AI will always try to use the rear gunner instead of the pilots fixed guns.

You can limit the angle range of the weapons, but I don't know how well BDArmory's weapons manager handles it.

We would also need custom configs for them, so for now they are disallowed.

But I really like the idea, if we can balance it that would be cool!

It can still be a big deal to have more kerbals because if one dies the other continues.

In order for the AI to work the craft should need something to pilot it, and does not function by itself, can anyone confirm?

The hall of fame was made to reward good looking planes, replicas and successful designs, that is what it can get, it would be unfair to give extra points but you still get something :)

Do we really need FAR? Because i just tested the Lizzie, and with a less powerful engine, well it seems like the wings produce no lift and it falls out of the sky, and it is a pretty close replica. So maybe NEAR instead if it still works?. On the note of turrets and the way the weapons manager seems to handle it, my Stuka defaults to the rear gunners gun, no matter what it is. Also my planes pack comes with a pretty balanced .303 and 20mm guns, so maybe you could use those?

- - - Updated - - -

Now testing the Whirlwind to see if it's any better. Also maybe an ammo limit?

The weapon manager is an expert with a turret, they got banned in the other thread, but hey, they look cool and you gotta try - maybe you can tweak the bullet damage :) If the Kerbal leaves the seat and there's no probe core the autopilot stops, I think it'll be the same if it's killed, it seems to lock in whatever pitch/roll/yaw it had before the Kerbal was removed, my plane flew on for ages.

Also FAR can make some longer take-off and climb to altitude than stock, if they're pointing away and take more than 2.5km to get up to fight height it can be outside the 5km default range. Maybe launch at 45* each side of the runway so they go up in a V?

Edited by Darren9

..Erf !

I use Bi plan engine nerf rules with my Piston Mono plane !

That's why i found that extremely hard !!!

Back to dash Board !

@TUKE: I am noticing that the main problem here is the weight, I made a really small biplane that barelly flew and noticed it was 5.5 tons because of the cockpit (was just testing).

What happens then is that every propeller plane becomes an energy fighter, haha.

There is no point on using NEAR as it's almost what stock is about now.

I will make some more tests today to see if we continue with FAR or not.

Will also check the already posted weapons, thanks.

Ammo limit doesn't sound like a big deal, you pay with extra weight and we dont want them to stop shooting at each other.

Edit: better watch your altitude parameters then :3

@Darren9: yes it is, but I remember seeing a bullet spread setting somewhere, but if it doesn't smartly change between guns it's not going to work.

TUKE, did you try limiting the range of the turret? Maybe it works.

Lol, killing kerbals works perfectly, that is going to be fun :)

Edit2: Maybe if we use two weapon managers the rear one can have limited range and default to the turret!

We just need to check if it blocks the main one from using it.

Edited by tetryds

Either weapon manger will try to use the rear turret even if the target is not in range. Also can we use radials?

P.S The Whirlwind works quite well with radials and FAR.

Yop !

I finally build my first compatible FAR plane , i'm a bit happy . It's far looking from the main idea fighter but at least it work .

I test with both Mauser & MAC 34 weapon & i got the same feeling . Mauser is far too powerful & MAC 34 is a very light machine gun . ( We have 20mm canon vs 7.5mm machine gun ) But with a good level flight plane , the MAC 34 is very fun . ( UnderPower Feeling .. )

My First FAR plane :

Arsenal%20VG-XX.jpg?psid=1

{
name = 7.5mmx54mm
density = .000125
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{
// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config
//
//

// --- general parameters ---
name = 7.5mmx54mm
module = Part
author = BahamutoD

// --- asset parameters ---
//mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 0.8

// --- node definitions ---
node_attach = 0.0, -0.1129, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = precisionEngineering
entryCost = 2100
cost = 600
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = 7.5mm Ammunition Box
manufacturer = Bahamuto Dynamics
description = Ammo box containing 1050 7.5x54mm rounds.
// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.01
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 3600

RESOURCE
{
name = 7.5mmx54mm
amount = 1050
maxAmount = 1050
}

MODULE
{
name = CFEnable
}

MODEL
{
model = BDArmory/Parts/AmmoBox/model
texture = texture, BDArmory/Parts/AmmoBox/texture20x102
}

}
PART

{
// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config
//
//

// --- general parameters ---
name = Reibel MAC 34
module = Part
author = BahamutoD

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 0.4

// --- node definitions ---
node_attach = 0.0, -0.01, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = precisionEngineering
entryCost = 2100
cost = 950
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Light Machine Gun Reibel MAC 34
manufacturer = Bahamuto Dynamics
description = A Light 7.5mm x 54mm.
// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.07
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 60
maxTemp = 3600

stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

MODULE
{
name = BahaTurret

fireSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/20mmVulcan/sounds/VulcanCannon
overheatSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/20mmVulcan/sounds/VulcanEnd
oneShotSound = false
//deployAnimName = deploy
hasFireAnimation = false
//fireAnimName = fireAnim
spinDownAnimation = false

yawTransformName = aimRotate
pitchTransformName = aimPitch

roundsPerMinute = 1200
accuracy = 7
bulletMass = 2.4e-5
bulletVelocity = 850
ammoName = 7.5mmx54mm
requestResourceAmount = 1
maxTargetingRange = 2500
bulletDrop = true
projectileColor = 255, 60, 0, 160 //RGBA 0-255
startColor = 255, 105, 0, 200
fadeColor = true

minPitch = 0
maxPitch = 0
yawRange = 0
onlyFireInRange = false

instakill = false

maxHeat = 3600
heatPerShot = 19
heatLoss = 480

tracerStartWidth = 0.28
tracerEndWidth = 0.2

}

}

RESOURCE
{
name = 7.5mmx54mm

}
PART

Edited by ZLM

If gunners work and are balanced I will consider allowing bombers, lol.

@ZLM: looking good!

You get used to their power, it just takes time.

I am considering raising the biplane engine power because the AI is not smart enough to save energy, will test it later today.

Do we really need FAR? Because i just tested the Lizzie, and with a less powerful engine, well it seems like the wings produce no lift and it falls out of the sky, and it is a pretty close replica. So maybe NEAR instead if it still works?. On the note of turrets and the way the weapons manager seems to handle it, my Stuka defaults to the rear gunners gun, no matter what it is. Also my planes pack comes with a pretty balanced .303 and 20mm guns, so maybe you could use those?

- - - Updated - - -

Now testing the Whirlwind to see if it's any better. Also maybe an ammo limit?

If importing a craft into a FAR environment, check every wing segment. FAR automatically makes them stronger at the expense of extra mass. Reducing values from 1.0 to 0.4 or for wingtips even 0.2, can remove A LOT of mass.

If it's about nerfing the KAX radial: I don't think we need that. I've got my fighter to a top speed of 630 km/h in level flight, at around 2000m. That's very realistic.

Yes, their curves are much better now.

I am only concerned about the topspeeds, but from what I have tested if there is any nerf on the piston monoplane engines it will be very small, they won't have less than 80% of their max thrust.

Then I move on to the guns, I will check the configs already shared and add some missing ones, then I will try out more exotic stuff like gunmen and maybe even some rocket pods.

What about the battle setup, at wich configuration do you guys think the airplanes should start?

It can be different for each class, btw.

Edit: forgot to answer about the mod that adds logos.

While that's cool, part count is an issue, it would be better to use them on pictures only.

And tweakscale is too buggy, procedural parts is more reliable and allows for more complex shapes.

Edited by tetryds

If gunners work and are balanced I will consider allowing bombers, lol.

@ZLM: looking good!

You get used to their power, it just takes time.

I am considering raising the biplane engine power because the AI is not smart enough to save energy, will test it later today.

I have to make a modified version of the gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Bombers could start in flight and the fighters need to intercept them perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

If importing a craft into a FAR environment, check every wing segment. FAR automatically makes them stronger at the expense of extra mass. Reducing values from 1.0 to 0.4 or for wingtips even 0.2, can remove A LOT of mass.

Thanks for the info. Will do.

Trying to build a Biplane, and my parts would be generating random heat? I have never had this bug before so i can only assume FAR is causing weird stuff?

Know issue, go on the debug menu ALT + F12 and set the thermal conduction to 15 or 10.

There is a devFAR that minimizes this, but it's a stock bug.

Trying to build a Biplane, and my parts would be generating random heat? I have never had this bug before so i can only assume FAR is causing weird stuff?

I got random parts explosion too even alone stopped at start after some min ( 2 or 3 )

EDIT : I try with 15 .

EDIT 2 : Still warm , try with 10 .

Edited by ZLM

Here is a preview of my nearly finished plane...

All I have to do now is keep it from bouncing and add weapons :)

pnNP3Qy.png

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is there a way to calculate what the AoA has to be?

Edited by PixelStory