WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

For monoplanes can we use two radials? Also can i use he cockpit from this mod? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98041-WIP-Some-stuff-I-ve-been-working-on-WWII-Cockpits-Propeller-Engines-VentureStar

- - - Updated - - -

Also funnily enough my Bf-110 flies faster with FAR i.e 720km/h as opposed to RL 595km/h.

There is already one specification allowing two radials for monoplanes, so as long as you use that engine its ok.

Coffee Ind. cockpits nodes are broken, and the license does not allow redistribution with modifications.

If it's possible to fix that using MM configs, and someone does it, I will add the mod to the allowed mods and the MM configs fix to the challenge pack.

But for now it's not working.

There is already one specification allowing two radials for monoplanes, so as long as you use that engine its ok.

Coffee Ind. cockpits nodes are broken, and the license does not allow redistribution with modifications.

If it's possible to fix that using MM configs, and someone does it, I will add the mod to the allowed mods and the MM configs fix to the challenge pack.

But for now it's not working.

You can surface attach parts, or attach the part backwards and rotate using the tool. The only reason why i ask is that one of my replicas is working as intended with FAR and is competitive worthy.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my updated Mauser and all files needed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktlbn0y31w8c3y2/77I_WW2Weapons01.zip?dl=0

I've reduced shell power and radius.

How long has that existed? Because i did pretty much the same thing but for the Hispanio 20mm.(Although the sounds wrong because it's hard to find one for it.)

- - - Updated - - -

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=490323801&fileuploadsuccess=1

May I suggest that the radial D-25 engine at 40% thrust very closely matches the top speed of a P-51D with similar drag area, wing area, and mass, therefore, it seems reasonable to allow said engine at 40% thrust or perhaps more.

Edited by Pds314

May I suggest that the radial D-25 engine at 40% thrust very closely matches the top speed of a P-51D with similar drag area, wing area, and mass, therefore, it seems reasonable to allow said engine at 40% thrust or perhaps more.

This helps a lot, thanks!

If you can I recommend also comparing their weight and Cd0.

Can you try the other propeller engine too?

I didn't realize this was going to be a replication fest. Anyway ... I've made a new install and surprise surprise ... suddenly my planes flew 750 km/h. So I've set it at 70%, and they again have a top speed of 630. Anyway, we need acceleration and climbing speed too, otherwise these fights will become very boring.

Oh and I really think we should go with self made cockpits. Show the world you can build an airframe and protect your pilot! What's it going to be ... low mass or better protection?

Here's a fight between two of my crates. One has armor plating around the engine and better pilot protection, the other one doesn't. The lighter one wins ... but in a 2 vs 2 ... what would happen then?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Btw what I really dislike is the head on approach the AI tends to have. Often they just shoot each others engine in the first 5 seconds and that's that. In real life, pilots tried to evade head on attacks, unless they were attacking bombers.

- - - Updated - - -

How long has that existed? Because i did pretty much the same thing but for the Hispanio 20mm.(Although the sounds wrong because it's hard to find one for it.)

I wasn't aware of that. I made this one yesterday.

Edit: Further reduced Mauser impact damage. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4i5k0dwwxgaxu54/77I_WW2Weapons02.zip?dl=0

Edited by Azimech

Ok, I have tried changing the AoA on the back fins. When I change it, nothing seems to happen. I really need hep with this.

If someone can figure this out that would be GREAT!

Here is the plane if anyone wants to test it. :)

Ok, I have tried changing the AoA on the back fins. When I change it, nothing seems to happen. I really need hep with this.

If someone can figure this out that would be GREAT!

Here is the plane if anyone wants to test it. :)

I told you that the first guide on my sig explains how to do that.

@Azimech: never hold backspace on a mobile, it deleted my entire reply.

But yeah the engines will have some headroom on the top of their similar performance real life counterparts.

Here's my heavy fighter. Based on but not replicating the Dornier Do 335. I'd like a slight raise on the max parts count, because twins and bombers will have a problem with a mere 80 parts.

I would've used an album but somehow IMGUR has it's weird moment.

iDOgqR8.png

jcvcnhI.png

HwMci6C.png

azpOKsv.png

To me this qualifies as a closed cockpit, the struts being the window frame. The pilot, weapon manager and flight computer are all in there, with armor plating to protect it.

The challenging fact is that most of WWII planes have only a third of density comparing to the structure of Kerbal planes. For example if you make a simple replica of the same size as the famous Stuka it will easily runs over 15t even without any fuel and loadout.

@Azimech

I upload the MAC 34 in the same way you used ( same folder ) Need some feedback if tweak is needed .

I just DL your updated Mauser mg150/20 , i test it soon .

My suggested MAC 34 :

FAR is a interesting mod :) a bit complicated at start but also very tweak able .

Do we really need FAR? Because i just tested the Lizzie, and with a less powerful engine, well it seems like the wings produce no lift and it falls out of the sky, and it is a pretty close replica. So maybe NEAR instead if it still works?. On the note of turrets and the way the weapons manager seems to handle it, my Stuka defaults to the rear gunners gun, no matter what it is. Also my planes pack comes with a pretty balanced .303 and 20mm guns, so maybe you could use those?

- - - Updated - - -

Now testing the Whirlwind to see if it's any better. Also maybe an ammo limit?

Wasn't NEAR a joke? Social experiment to test confirmation bias, right?

Wasn't NEAR a joke? Social experiment to test confirmation bias, right?

What? It was a mod that turned the aerodynamics into nearly what they are now with stock, maybe slightly less forgiving.

Piston Monoplanes engine added, D-25 @50% Thrust.

Time is scarce right now, I will have plenty on the weekend.

So this should be my entry, although there might be some tweaking for control surfaces because of FAR, also tweak scale is only used for detailing like the nose cone and the spinners.

8D1FFB2A7BFC455ACE096EC61DDAE9C2541029E6

What? It was a mod that turned the aerodynamics into nearly what they are now with stock, maybe slightly less forgiving.

I read a quote in someone's sig from ferram that said NEAR was the same as FAR. I couldn't find the actual post from ferram though.

Will 50.5% do?

Will 50.5% do?

Oh, yes forgot about that detail, yes 50.5%

It would be better to remove the tweakscaled parts before submitting, remember that the person running the battles must have all the mods, and that is not one of the allowed mods.

@RocketTurtle: That sig is false, oldFAR and NEAR were not the same thing at all.

But current stock made NEAR obsolete, and FAR completely changed how it works so it's still much better than stock.

Oh, yes forgot about that detail, yes 50.5%

It would be better to remove the tweakscaled parts before submitting, remember that the person running the battles must have all the mods, and that is not one of the allowed mods.

@RocketTurtle: That sig is false, oldFAR and NEAR were not the same thing at all.

But current stock made NEAR obsolete, and FAR completely changed how it works so it's still much better than stock.

Ah I see. Thanks then. I still think NEAR was a silly concept, but oh well. Would have been funny if there was no difference.

Apart from the the tweakscaled detailing parts, will the Bf-110 be allowed with the engines at 50.5% (It still flies comfortably).

- - - Updated - - -

Ah I see. Thanks then. I still think NEAR was a silly concept, but oh well. Would have been funny if there was no difference.

As i remember, NEAR was a lot kinder to planes built with stock aerodynamics, but this was before 1.0.

Do we have a definite list of mods yet? If not how about a vote?

Sort of, look at the Original Post, however it is currently up for changes.

- - - Updated - - -

FAR has broken my current install, as the game now crashes when i try to launch my craft. Good bye testing.