The Windows 10 Megathread!

kenbobo

At present I prefer my customized Windows 8, but I'll keep an eye out for what works and what doesn't. If all the games I play on my Win8 box still work for most folks on Win10, I'll probably upgrade. Might wait until a month or two before the free upgrade period closes. (It's not like I use that box for anything except games.) My Win7 machines are staying on 7, and I doubt we'll ever use Win10 at work.

home built or prebuilt. cause theres a batch file i whipped up that fixes no update.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mg_tZNqeCJRWQ0RG45aUttOU0/view?usp=sharing

I've reserved my update and it has already downloaded all the files (I've checked C:\$Windows.~BT - it's 5.83 gigs, sounds about right). It's just not giving me the option to install it yet. The "Get Windows 10" thing says it'll notify me when the update is ready to install. Apparently Microsoft is releasing it in stages which means everyone won't be getting it at the same time. Maybe that's what's causing this.

Keep in mind you will not necessarily be in the first rollout. They are staggering downloads so just because it is the 29th doesn't mean you can have it right now. People with Win 10 Preview version get first dibs (this makes sense because they want to get rid of incomplete versions ASAP) others will get it in a staggered rollout. How long ago you reserved may matter, all the details aren't clear.

Also keep in mind, Microsoft is in Redmond Washington UTC -8, so those saying it's 9am... no its not, it's not even 2am.

- - - Updated - - -

As I understood we can reserve Win10 but delay the actual update as we see fit?

Correct

Edited by Alshain

As I understood we can reserve Win10 but delay the actual update as we see fit?

Correct. Just remember to perform the first install before July 29th 2016 or you'll have to buy a licence.

Also, Microsoft has released the ISO installers. Get the media creation tool at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. The tool will download the ISO and create a bootable DVD or USB. If Windows Update isn't giving you the option to install and you don't want to wait, you can just use this to install it right away.

E: That's the US website so it may or may not offer the correct version for non-US users. If someone decides to download it, please confirm.

E2: After some googling, it seems that the first installation must be done through Windows Update in order to associate your Win7/8.1 product key with your Win10 licence. You will not be able to activate it if you perform the first installation from the ISO.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

Correct. Just remember to perform the first install before July 29th 2016 or you'll have to buy a licence.

Also, Microsoft has released the ISO installers. Get the media creation tool at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. The tool will download the ISO and create a bootable DVD or USB. If Windows Update isn't giving you the option to install and you don't want to wait, you can just use this to install it right away.

FYI, Those will also put you in a staggered download queue.

I have a new laptop I've only been using a few weeks and I'll try installing 10 on that one once the download becomes available to me. There's nothing really important on that computer yet, so I won't really lose anything if something gets screwed up. The other computers in the house will be staying with what they have for now - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

How does one start the update??? I have the updater, but it hasn't notified me to update it?

You can force it to download and install by doing these steps:

1) Delete all files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (this is where Windows Update keeps files while they're being downloaded - it's a temp folder of sorts)

2) Open the command line as admin and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" (without quotes), don't hit enter yet.

3) Open Windows Update and click "check for updates"

4) While it's checking for updates, go back to the command line window and hit enter. The Windows Update window's "checking for updates" progress box should change into "Downloading Windows 10". You may have to do this multiple times if it doesn't. Go back to the command line window, hit the up arrow key to select the previously used command and hit enter to run it again. I had to do it twice to get it to download the update.

This may not work, though. Mine downloaded just fine but got stuck while installing. It might've been caused by (a) corrupt file(s) so I'm redownloading and will give it another try.

You can force it to download and install by doing these steps:

1) Delete all files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (this is where Windows Update keeps files while they're being downloaded - it's a temp folder of sorts)

2) Open the command line as admin and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" (without quotes), don't hit enter yet.

3) Open Windows Update and click "check for updates"

4) While it's checking for updates, go back to the command line window and hit enter. The Windows Update window's "checking for updates" progress box should change into "Downloading Windows 10". You may have to do this multiple times if it doesn't. Go back to the command line window, hit the up arrow key to select the previously used command and hit enter to run it again. I had to do it twice to get it to download the update.

This may not work, though. Mine downloaded just fine but got stuck while installing. It might've been caused by (a) corrupt file(s) so I'm redownloading and will give it another try.

Command line? you mean cmd.exe?

aswell as that, where would I find Windows Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.