The Windows 10 Megathread!

kenbobo

Can someone help me please? I have a terrible display, and it stops filling up the screen. There's black bars all around my small tiny display. How do I make it to cover my whole screen without any black bars?

Please elaborate, and post a picture of your screen (you can take it with your phone).

Please elaborate, and post a picture of your screen (you can take it with your phone).
Pics and clicks are on the way as we speak.

- - - Updated - - -

QUOTEarrow-10x10.png=FireFaced;2110636]Please elaborate, and post a picture of your screen (you can take it with your phone).

- - - Updated - - -

QUOTEhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png=FireFaced;2110636]Please elaborate, and post a picture of your screen (you can take it with your phone).

Here it is (my display is so small that I cant go to Imgur to post the picture, so I have to type the URL by hand.)

http://i.imgur.com/lyjEQvt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also update your graphics drivers, if changing the screen resolution through windows still gives you black bars, check your graphics settings and looks for a setting called "Overscan", "gpu up scaling" "aspect ratio" ect.

Edited by ZedNova

Who of us trusts Microsoft's "good faith belief"?

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary toâ€Â, for example, “protect their customers†or “enforce the terms governing the use of the servicesâ€Â.

Hehehe, imagine some anonymous MS employee, randomly browsing through Scott Manley's stuff...

"Huh? Hmm, I faithfully believe, that this good rocket design should be released to the general public."

PS: Someone did some screenshots:

https://imgur.com/iHge6RJ

Edited by heng

I have now upgraded to Windows 10. So far, as far as performance goes, I find the experience actually fairly decent. I use a lot of programs (SPSS, VideoPad Video Editor, Audacity) besides KSP and Cities: Skylines that can really tax system resources. So far, Windows 10 seems to be handling it...

My 'net's been down most of the last few days, but it sprang back to life sometime after 11PM last night. So I decided to fire up my Win8.1 box and see about this Win-Ten-Ten thing.

Registered to reserve my copy. No tricks, no force update.

Ten minutes later it had downloaded and was ready.

Twenty minutes later it was up and running. Only issue was when my Razer Chroma keyboard tried to install its drivers to the Win10 install session... which freaked the keyboard out but didn't affect Win10. Thankfully it rebooted again before I needed to type anything.

No video driver issues, though I updated right before Win10 (I'm using a GTX-770 if that helps anybody).

KSP runs great. KSP RSS/RO using opengl mode runs great. It probably still crashes every two hours as KSP is wont to do, but it ran well for the fifteen sleepy minutes I tried each install.

This is probably the most responsive Windows OS I've used since Win95+Plus, and it's still got all the good bits of Win7. Not enough to bring me back from UNIXland (where it's always sunny and the command prompt smiles err'day), but it feels like a nice OS. No Cortana for me though, since I opted out of all the data harvesting stuff - this is just a gaming system.

Oh, one last thing: Solitaire has an online multiplayer mode that (apparently) costs $9.99/year or is ad supported. No, that's not an April Fool's Day joke. Multiplayer Solitaire. O.o The offline game didn't hurl any full-screen video ads at me, so no pitchfork just yet.

Has anyone figured out how to make the search bar use google as its default search engine? I've got chrome installed and set as default browser but for some reason the search bar still uses bing.

Windows 10...... WITH BING! Cortana...... WITH BING!

Edited by FireFaced

Near Disaster!

I just installed and it shut down my Nvidia card. It doesn't recognize the driver as being valid.

I had read about Nvidia problems with this update, but I had assumed that they had all been sorted out by now. Serves me right. Anyhow, GEForce Experience would just download its Windows 10 driver and restart my computer. After the restart, my card was still shut down. I tried it three different times with no luck.

I just reverted back to Windows 8.1 with no further issues. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if Nvidia can get this sorted out. So, if you are running an Nvidia card, just beware.

Near Disaster!

I just installed and it shut down my Nvidia card. It doesn't recognize the driver as being valid.

I had read about Nvidia problems with this update, but I had assumed that they had all been sorted out by now. Serves me right. Anyhow, GEForce Experience would just download its Windows 10 driver and restart my computer. After the restart, my card was still shut down. I tried it three different times with no luck.

I just reverted back to Windows 8.1 with no further issues. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if Nvidia can get this sorted out. So, if you are running an Nvidia card, just beware.

Okay then....

Out of curiosity which Nvidia card do you have? It was ok with mine, but I also downloaded new Nvidia software right before the upgrade.

I have a GTX780. I don't believe that I had the most up to date driver before trying the update.

After reverting back to 8.1 (which was actually extremely easy and fast) I updated my Nvidia driver to 353.62 - that was the Nvidia recommendation for the Windows 10 update. I then re-installed Windows 10. It finally accepted my driver and did not shut down my card, however I lost my second monitor. I then tried running KSP and it crashed on loading. Then Windows crashed on a restart. Then it went right back to the same old problem of not accepting my driver which, in turn, shuts down my graphics card. Ughhh...

I reverted back to 8.1 again.

I'm staying here until I know that Nvidia has a more stable configuration. I understand that it is hit or miss for Nvidia users. You are lucky that you haven't had any problems. If I had more resources, I'd run right out and get a new card. I have to admit that I am rather disappointed with Nvidia for screwing the pooch on the Windows 10 update. It's not like we haven't seen this coming for more than a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 10 won the war. After a day of trying to fix it, I uninstalled it. Back to Windows 7. Maybe I might get 8 but who knows?!

We all slink back to our caves. Defeated today, but ready to fight again tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a GTX 970 and it worked great even before I installed the drivers. 1920x1080 resolution and everything was really smooth.

Just one monitor? It seems the bulk of the issues are happening to folks like me with multiple monitors.

Just one monitor? It seems the bulk of the issues are happening to folks like me with multiple monitors.

No, I'm running dual monitors. It recognized both of them and configured them automatically. All I had to do was disable the taskbar on the second monitor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.