The Windows 10 Megathread!

kenbobo

During upgrade installation, is there a way to change installation directory? I am asking because I have my win8.1 now on an old, slow hdd and my ssd will arrive tomorrow.

No, that's not possible. You'll either have to do a full reinstall after the upgrade to access the partition tool, or you can try using a disk cloning software to create a copy of your filesystem on the SSD (I believe this can also be done by using the dd command line tool on Linux).

No, that's not possible. You'll either have to do a full reinstall after the upgrade to access the partition tool, or you can try using a disk cloning software to create a copy of your filesystem on the SSD (I believe this can also be done by using the dd command line tool on Linux).

Thanks. I will probably reinstall completely then.

PS. I love Pendulum too ;) they make such a great music

Lol, did you read the description? It's literally just a bunch of tags plus a few paragraphs of the bible.

The news IMPORTANT SPREAD! NWO EDF JFK War 911 William Cooper Rebel freedom Wow warcraft secret life UFO Alien Pleiadian obama girl Ron Paul God WW3 end war combat fight attacked nuclear tanks latest breaking FEMA Trains Earthlasthope Matthew Ringrose conference under fire America president FBI prisoner NATO EU New World Order Death legend Christ Lord Global Universe Tea Party bluebeam Agenda 21 American idol stock Crash Comedy Evolution Dance Canada Food Codex economy collapseVirgin instructs the bride about knowing how to love and about four cities where four loves are found and about which of these is properly called perfect love.

Book 3 - Chapter 28 SAINT BRIDGET PATRON SAINT OF EUROPE PART II

Some of the condemned are greater sinners, others lesser. The conditions for their punishment and retribution are set up accordingly. Although all the condemned are enclosed in darkness, not all of them experience it in one and the same way. Darkness differs from darkness, horror from horror, hell-fire from hell-fire. God's rule is one of justice and mercy everywhere, even in hell. Thus, those who have sinned deliberately have their particular punishment, those who have sinned out of weakness have a different one, those who are being held only because of the damage done by original sin have a different one again. While the torment of these latter consists in the lack of the beatific vision and of the light of the elect, still they come close to mercy and joy in the sense that they do not experience horrible punishments, since they bear no effects of any evil deeds of their own doing. Otherwise, if God did not ordain the number and limit of the punishments, the devil would never show any limits in tormenting them.

The fourth city is the city of glory. Here one finds perfect love and the ordered charity that desires nothing but God or but for the sake of God. Hence, if you would reach the perfection of this city, your love needs four qualities: it must be ordered, pure, true, and perfect. Your love is ordered when you love the body only for the sake of sustaining yourself, when you love the world without superfluities, your neighbor for God's sake, your friend for the sake of purity of life, and your enemy for the sake of the reward. Love is pure when sin is not loved alongside virtue, when bad habits are scorned, when sin is not taken lightly.

Love is true when you love God with all your heart and affections, when you take the glory and fear of God into prior consideration in all your actions, when you commit not the least little sin while trusting to your good deeds, when you practice temperance prudently without growing weak from too much fervor, when you do not have an inclination to sin out of cowardice or ignorance of temptations. Love is perfect when nothing is as enjoyable to a person as God. This kind of love begins in the present but is consummated in heaven. Love, then, this perfect and true kind of love! Everyone who does not have it shall be cleansed, no matter whether he is faithful or fervent or a child or baptized. Otherwise he will go to the city of horror.

- - - Updated - - -

More on topic: BootCamped windows, downloaded Robocraft, aaand... HOLY CRAP. My processor was at 95 degrees. (Laptop Intel Core i7, 3.0 Ghz)

PSA about windows update in Windows 10:

Windows Update now has a feature that shares updates you download through the internet, it's P2P file sharing which can use up your internet bandwidth by seeding update files to other windows 10 computers. I recommend you turning this off to avoid bandwidth issues.

From the start menu:

>Click "Settings"

>Click "Update and security"> "Windows update"> "Advanced Options"> "Choose how updates are delivered" and set this slider to OFF:

BixcZ7p.png

PSA about windows update in Windows 10:

Windows Update now has a feature that shares updates you download through the internet, it's P2P file sharing which can use up your internet bandwidth by seeding update files to other windows 10 computers. I recommend you turning this off to avoid bandwidth issues.

I would think that sharing between local machines would LESSEN your bandwidth, allowing all computers on your network to benefit from a single download.

I agree that turning off P2P over the internet is a good idea if you're bandwidth starved, though if you're feeling charitable (or don't otherwise care) it's neighborly.

I would think that sharing between local machines would LESSEN your bandwidth, allowing all computers on your network to benefit from a single download..

Yes, and if you are having trouble getting updates downloaded through MS' servers you could turn the feature back on 'till they finish. However i personally don't like applications using my internet without asking, it's bad enough you can't actually DELAY or STOP updates from downloading without win 10 pro. So this info may be useful for those who have very limited speeds and want to minimize how much bandwidth windows takes up. :)

I thought the local P2P option actually sounded like a really good idea (the internet one, no thanks)…and then I thought about how it was actually gonna work. See, we've got six machines on our network; four will be running Pro (including one best described as the "server plus"), and two on Home, both laptops. Which ones will be prompted to download updates first? Probably the Home machines, unless there's a hidden setting to let the server box (always on, always online, it's a SERVER, for pete's sake) do the heavy lifting on it.

We'll just have to see.

So, what's the best Linux Distro for a media PC?
It's been a while, but I recall openelec was pretty good. Or just install XBMC/Kodi/MythTv on any old distro if you don't mind some setup work.

Just one monitor? It seems the bulk of the issues are happening to folks like me with multiple monitors.

I've yet to experience a single problem with a multi monitor setup after months of using win10, the problems you describe are also common for pretty much any new os I've seen in my many years of pc gaming.

Instal win10, turn off auto driver updates, instal the drivers you want..the latest from nvidia..and everything will 100% work.

Also, here, take control of your shiny new os.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1870618

Linux isn't a real replacement either, unless you like low fps and disappointment.

IME (going back to Win 3.11) with MS, there's always a catch.

If I ever update my games partition, it'll be at least a major version behind the current Windows offering.

And this is why I am going to pass on win10 for the foreseeable future. It was free, so there was always going to be a catch...

Meh, it's easy to permanently disable all of that, it's in the link I posted earlier. I assure you, cell phones are worse.

And this is why I am going to pass on win10 for the foreseeable future. It was free, so there was always going to be a catch...

Many of those options were already in Windows 8 and possibly 7, so it is not just a new business model. Microsoft has been moving from software as product to software as a service for quite a while now and I am fairly certain I do not like where that is going.

Mine isn't :P

Android/AOSP without all the google tripe isn't actually that bad.

Though a phone without Google Play is rather useless. There are things you can do, but convenient it generally is not.

Microsoft has been moving from software as product to software as a service for quite a while now and I am fairly certain I do not like where that is going.

Likewise.

Though a phone without Google Play is rather useless. There are things you can do, but convenient it generally is not.

Meh, I sideload all my apps, they're all open source and vetted by... well, me.

I'll take "device under my control" over "one click convenient" any day.

If you really need those play store only apps, there are ways.

Edited by steve_v

I'll take "device under my control" over "one click convenient" any day.

It is not a matter of control. If you know what you are doing, you have full control and the added benefit of some nifty non-open apps. Open is nice, but no panacea.

Though Android, in whatever form, is less than ideal when it comes to privacy and security. I am closely monitoring the Stagefright bug and if my device is not fixed in a satisfactory manner, I might well finally move to greener pastures - even though I just upgraded to a new device.

Edited by Camacha

All true, but I'd still rather not willingly spill all my data to Google.

The likes of stagefright are bugs, Googles (and now MS too, it seems) constant datamining is an intentional anti-feature as far as I am concerned, and one I'd rather not have, even if it does make some things more convenient.

A kernel level firewall (e.g. iptables) also goes a fair way towards preventing apps (and potentially even the Android VM) from doing things they shouldn't.

I'd also consider "greener pastures", if I could see any hereabouts. I'm really not convinced MS or Apple are any better.

Of course, if you really want to go tinfoil hat, it's not the phone OS or apps you should be concerned about... It's the firmware on the radio chipset. :P

The best defence, IMO, against both intentional and unintentional privacy leaks is information... knowing what (and whose) code is actually running and what security flaws it may have.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding stagefright, it's already been patched by both Google and CyanogenMod (possibly other vendors also).

Getting the update out might be more interesting though. In the mean time, stagefright (and HW media decoding :() can be disabled fairly easily.

If you're slightly less concerned, AFAIK MMS is the only vector currently in the wild... so turn off auto retrieval.

Edited by steve_v

If you really need those play store only apps, there are ways.

Though I am not as put off by Play as you are, that looks to be a nifty app. That should open up some new tricks :)

Edit: oh, it requires Java, which is a huge pit of bugs and vulnerabilities. That is a shame.

I'd also consider "greener pastures", if I could see any hereabouts. I'm really not convinced MS or Apple are any better.

I see a couple of options. Dropping the smartphone and going back to a featurephone, or Blackberry. Yes, I know, but it actually has a lot going for it compared to the other three. The main concern would be whether it can survive and stay an independent phone maker, plus you would obviously give up some flexibility and bang for buck.

Regarding stagefright, it's already been patched by both Google and CyanogenMod (possibly other vendors also).

Getting the update out might be more interesting though. In the mean time, stagefright (and HW media decoding :() can be disabled fairly easily.

If you're slightly less concerned, AFAIK MMS is the only vector currently in the wild... so turn off auto retrieval.

Thing is, a lot of perfectly fine and even quite new phones will never see the update. Waiting it out will not do in a lot of cases - only recent flagships will be sure to get updates and custom ROMs are also not available in all the appropriate versions. It really is a huge terrible mess.

By the way, MMS is not the only vector. Any website can load malicious videos too, as can Whatsapp probably (and other apps). Currently the only known browser to have plugged the leak is Firefox, so it is probably best to use that. It still leaves the bugs unharmed though, so things like social engineering and a worm sending videos through your friends, making you think it is safe are all still feasible.

Like I said, I am going to see how this plays out. If Google does not change the laissez faire attitude and actually do something (rather than just update their latest branch and call it done), I cannot image continuing using my current phone, and I can also not see myself getting another Android device knowing the same could happen at any time again.

Edited by Camacha

My laptop, running windows eight is starting to misbehave a little, explorer is freezing, sometimes it freezes up while booting up, or shutting down...

I'm hoping installing the new operating system will refresh those parts, and get it working again.If this is actually a terrible idea, please tell me.

However, I like the 8 start screen. I like the way it pops up, slides around, and is a good distraction when waiting for stuff to load. Also, you can put cool backgrounds on it.

BVbT8Iu.png?1

I really like my sky and stars background.

So, if they bring back the ability to add backgrounds to the start menu. (Or the start screen in tablet mode, or whatever that it's called), I will be sold, and probably will install.

Looking at the real issues here. :P

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.