The Windows 10 Megathread!

kenbobo

I can't do that! I'm lazy. ;)

Though if I go through the weekend without being offered, I might do just that.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Download the tool, click install, walk away for a while. I'm now fully upgraded using that method.

Edited by Alshain

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Download the tool, click install, walk away for a while. I'm now fully upgraded using that method.
It doesn't work for me. It always says it can't open and it tells me to reboot. I've rebooted twice with the exact same results.

Anyone know how to fix this?

http://imgur.com/0wBpQx6

It does this when i try to sign into a microsoft account when setting up Cortana, or whenever I try to refresh my email it gives me an error code, i'll post that in a sec.

It does that when i refresh my email:

http://imgur.com/uyBejLE

Edited by Kozak

The lazy thing was a joke. :) Actually, I won't install it until after Sunday no matter what, as I'm going to be using that computer on Sunday for something and then it'll be mostly idle for quite a while after, giving me time to handle any curveballs thrown my way.

Seriously please help me ;-;

I really want to use Cortana

Since you've upgraded from Win7/8.1 already (and thus registered your copy of Win10 - just to be sure, right click on the start menu, then click on "System" and at the bottom of the window, it should say "Windows has been activated" or something like that), I'd recommend using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB stick (Or a DVD) and reinstalling to get rid of any old Win7 stuff that might be causing the problem.

Also, I finally managed to update! Only took me 4 hours of downloading and trying to run the installer (with no success), a clean Win7 reinstall and another 2 or 3 hours of installing updates... Still have to do a clean install but that shouldn't take too long.

E: It's working! Yay! :D

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

Does it keep my stuff? Sorry for all the questions, having eye muscle surgery in 6 days and I'm nervous about that.

It does, unless you tell it not to. However, doing a full reinstall after upgrading is probably a good idea if you want to get a 100% "out-of-the-box" experience without any left over stuff from the older version. It should work just fine without a reinstall though.

One more question, I'm running Windows 8.1. Should I use File History for backups, or System Image Recovery?

I honestly don't know as I've never used either one of those. I'd say the easiest and most foolproof option is to just copy all the important stuff onto a USB hard drive (or to a NAS drive if you have one).

I am getting nothing from that media creation tool its been running for hours with zero percent progress

First, make sure your computer is up to date and that it meets the requirements (these can be viewed through the "Get Windows 10" app), and then try again. If MCT still doesn't work, you can try the "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" method. If that also fails, it's probably best to backup your stuff, do a clean reinstall of Windows, install all the updates and then use MCT to upgrade. This is what I did when it refused to upgrade my existing installation.

I just want to download an ISO but of course you just cant download an ISO you have to go through some convoluted process and use a microsoft tool to do what is a very basic process which of course isnt working

There is no ISO. If you want to upgrade, you have to do it through MCT or Windows Update. MCT can also create a bootable USB or DVD for you. How is it in any way "convoluted"? Download the program, open it, select either one of the two options, hit next and let it take care of the rest.

Like I said in my previous post, if any of those methods aren't working, there is probably something wrong with your computer and you should reinstall Windows 7/8.1 and all available updates and then upgrade to 10. Or you can keep banging your head against the wall - you might get it to work eventually, but seriously, this is the easiest and quickest way. It'll take a few hours, but after it's done, you can create a USB/DVD installer and use that if you ever need to reinstall it again.

I'd like to ask you guys if I should buy an ssd and install win10 on it. I currently have win8.1 on an old, slow hdd. I am not at home at the moment so I haven't installed it yet.

Edit: Is 64GB ssd enough for windows+some programs?

Edited by Thomassino

Can someone help me please? I have a terrible display, and it stops filling up the screen. There's black bars all around my small tiny display. How do I make it to cover my whole screen without any black bars?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.