The Windows 10 Megathread!

kenbobo

Anyone who's getting the "Waiting..." message and just sitting back, it's not going to work. There's some bug with the update feature for people who turned auto updating off.

The fix is to go into the control panel and find "Update Settings" (something like that). There should be an option in there to go through with the update.

If that doesn't work, the Windows 10 updater from Microsoft works great. You don't even need a USB or anything, just works right off your computer. Updated a Win7 and Win8 PC this week, both work great (including KSP, with OpenGL and with mods). Uh... you WILL have trouble with Win10 until you let it update and restart. There are weird issues with the start button, search functionality etc. Hmm...

Oh, and if you use Office products, you may have issues opening files. This is because Trust Center is being stupid. Just launch the application by itself, go File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Protected View, and uncheck everything. This could let a script kiddie massacre you with a crazy excel file, but if you can't open any excel file in the first place you'll probably lose your job so...

Can anyone confirm/deny if windows 10 + my nvidia drivers will still break my PC? Or has this been fixed? There was an error with windows 10/nvidia which caused my computer to install the wrong driver. I've had to reset my computer twice so far. ;.;

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 1 month later...

After 3 days of fiddling, I finally got it downloaded and now run windows 10 on my laptop.

The first night was spent realizing the microsoft update app would not work. It would download but would never install. Then I found the media creation tool and tried it that way. I fell asleep, and when I woke up it was done downloading so I hit next and it froze. Then last night I ran the media creation tool again and kept with it all the way to where it starts installing and restarting and went to bed, woke up to shiny new windows! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, can someone help me? Windows 10 boots longer than windows 7, and after logging in, it takes an additional 60 seconds for the desktop to fully load. Windows 8 on our other computer boots in 10-20 seconds and going from login screen to desktop takes 10-15 seconds. Why is it taking me 2 minutes from start to desktop?

Really? On my shiny new laptop win8.1 took forever to boot, but win10 is darn near instant. Is your win7 box much older than the other one, and morr importantly, does it have a buildup of run-on-startup cruft applications from over the years?

Laptop is from 2010, it has an i7 on it so it's not that old and it's still powerful. There probably is a ton of stuff starting up though, I'm looking in to trying to stop it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.