South-West Launch Site - Kerbal Konstructs Content

Beale

South-West Launch Site

A small launch site located on the north island of Kerbin's own New Zealand.

Its look is inspired heavily by the Woomera Test Range, From where in 1971 the British performed their first (and only) self-sufficient orbital insertion of a satellite - Prospero.

Its position permits only highly inclined or polar orbits.

Download

3348b678a5.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is all a single 512x512 texture! Low memory footprint!

I've started the development thread to gain feedback on how to make the facility a little more believable.

Disclaimer, I am not a clever man - I have tried to research what components makes a launch site a launch site, but I am certain things have been missed.

So!

• Further buildings?
  • Missing details?
  • Incorrect Things (Launchpad placement)?
  • The wrong location on Kerbin?
Edited by Beale

Very nice! Maybe to have more detail, a ground thing with paths and shaped hexagonal like the bottoms in KSC? I don't really know how to describe them but they are pretty much the objects that act as the ground and have paths built in at the space center.

I suggest adding a giant warehouse to the mix. Also if there is any way to squeeze a window texture into your 512x512 texture (OMG SO SMALL!) I definitely suggest it to liven the place up.

All the launch sites that I see have an unrealistically small store house. ;)

Not sure if it would look any better or not, but a chain link fence and some dirt roads are my only "suggestion" to make it look more realistic. But I am terrible at designing just about everything, so my suggestions should be taken lightly :P

Looks awesome, we have something that resembles the Woomera Test range in Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had an idea for the placement of the entire area:

Maybe you should move it to that other island to the west and then move the launch pad down to around the southern area of that island (just for more accuracy, since the island looks kinda like Australia).

Anyway, it is just a suggestion (maybe add another few launch pads just for decor, or even as actual launch pads appropriately designated with a 1, 2, 3, or 4 - I think).

I appreciate the attention to memory footprint. A ramp for rover access would be great, if it's not already available. Or the above mentioned false landscape to provide a smooth access to the facilities. Multiple launchpads would be awesome too. Finally I might have a good site for launching multiple rockets in formation using BurnTogether mod or something.

Looks good, but try making it flush with the ground. Make "ground extension" like in stock KSC or Island airfield if the terrain is too rough.

Also, more details! Pipes/doors/windows/fences etc.

Making transitions from ground into wall look slike stock KSC, with a stripe with separate texture would be awesome as well. I guess you can reference Squad texture here.

Edited by sashan

Cool! I'd be happy to test this!

It looks like a good launch site, but it could use a dirt runway next to it.

Nice! Congratz, Beale! I've been waiting for this for a while.
That's a very nice-looking launch site; well done!
WHAOOOOOAAAHHHAOOOO!

Oh dear, excuse me.

This is so cool! I wish this could be the tier 0 space center!

Many thanks! :)

Very nice! Maybe to have more detail, a ground thing with paths and shaped hexagonal like the bottoms in KSC? I don't really know how to describe them but they are pretty much the objects that act as the ground and have paths built in at the space center.

Some artificial terrain may be very useful! :)

It has been difficult (too difficult) to find enough flat ground.

I suggest adding a giant warehouse to the mix. Also if there is any way to squeeze a window texture into your 512x512 texture (OMG SO SMALL!) I definitely suggest it to liven the place up.

All the launch sites that I see have an unrealistically small store house. ;)

Nice idea!

Thank you!

Not sure if it would look any better or not, but a chain link fence and some dirt roads are my only "suggestion" to make it look more realistic. But I am terrible at designing just about everything, so my suggestions should be taken lightly :P

Fences would be very nice! :)

Something like this:

1b43a84542.jpg

Dirt roads are also a very nice thing to have, but I am not so sure it can be produced to fit the terrain (already there was a lot of difficulty finding flat ground for an airstrip nearby).

Looks awesome, we have something that resembles the Woomera Test range in Australia.

I just had an idea for the placement of the entire area:

Maybe you should move it to that other island to the west and then move the launch pad down to around the southern area of that island (just for more accuracy, since the island looks kinda like Australia).

Anyway, it is just a suggestion (maybe add another few launch pads just for decor, or even as actual launch pads appropriately designated with a 1, 2, 3, or 4 - I think).

Thanks!

The placement could be perhaps different I agree. But, I'm not so sure about pushing it further south (then it might become purely a place for polar launches).

I appreciate the attention to memory footprint. A ramp for rover access would be great, if it's not already available. Or the above mentioned false landscape to provide a smooth access to the facilities. Multiple launchpads would be awesome too. Finally I might have a good site for launching multiple rockets in formation using BurnTogether mod or something.

Thanks for feedback :)

There is already a small ramp on the rear (and hopefully will have a place to spawn a rover also).

447cb4c0a8.jpg

Multiple launchpads may be very nice, if there is some believable way to reach each one from the VAB.

Wait that's all on a 512x512 texture? I'm impressed!

56d26a5237.jpg

Thanks!

Well, there is another few (very small) supporting textures (such as the transparent criss-cross for the radio tower).

Looks good, but try making it flush with the ground. Make "ground extension" like in stock KSC or Island airfield if the terrain is too rough.

Also, more details! Pipes/doors/windows/fences etc.

Making transitions from ground into wall look slike stock KSC, with a stripe with separate texture would be awesome as well. I guess you can reference Squad texture here.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think a ground extension would be a good way to go - but I have a slight paranoia of matching the surface textures exactly (so the launch site doesn't look out of place in surrounding terrain).

More details will be a good place to start I think :)

On transitions, it looks like this is achieved with transparent decals on the Bac9 developed stock buildings, I can try this!

f9a602cec5.jpg

Edited by Beale

Oh it looks as though you already have window textures! I definitely suggest you add a few more of them to the sides of the small buildings. You could probably make a rectangle with the window texture on a side and plop it all over the place. Definitely more windows ^-^. I also want to give you more cudos for the cell tower... It's beautiful.

Really though! Add a gigantic warehouse! I'm envisioning a building shaped like this but huge:

warehouse-exterior-concrete-locked-metal-door-31014472.jpg

*totally didn't steal that from google while on mobile*

Oh it looks as though you already have window textures! I definitely suggest you add a few more of them to the sides of the small buildings. You could probably make a rectangle with the window texture on a side and plop it all over the place. Definitely more windows ^-^. I also want to give you more cudos for the cell tower... It's beautiful.

Really though! Add a gigantic warehouse! I'm envisioning a building shaped like this but huge:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/warehouse-exterior-concrete-locked-metal-door-31014472.jpg

*totally didn't steal that from google while on mobile*

Windows may become more common, I will see what can be done :)

Warehouse (This will be re-modelled certainly)

91cf31958d.jpg

Is there a download? Looks cool.
I need a DL bruh. Please give it to me.

Not quite ready yet! :wink:

It is in a fairly playable state, but until the location is finalized I do not want to make it public.

As for decals: Due to Z-fighting problems they are not decals, but special polygons with separate texture. I remember reading an article about those KSC models.

I was beginning to scratch my head for that one, thanks for the info! :)

Edited by Beale

Windows may become more common, I will see what can be done :)

Warehouse (This will be re-modelled certainly)

http://puu.sh/ji0Aw/91cf31958d.jpg

Not quite ready yet! :wink:

It is in a fairly playable state, but until the location is finalized I do not want to make it public.

I was beginning to scratch my head for that one, thanks for the info! :)

OMG THAT WAS FAST. How big is it!

well... it doesn't need to have working wheels, KSP doesn't move the rockets from the VAB... a static VAB that looks like it's able to move itself (yet static) would be cool enough

btw, that Brazilian flag gave me an idea, what if the VAB had the option to have custom flags in it, like parts and the pole at the launchpad?

Will this pack include that N-1 launch pad you showed a while ago that SnowWhite made?

Yes, hopefully :)

OMG THAT WAS FAST. How big is it!

It's quite small, double the width and depth of the house, the same width as the garage.

f3a6ad84b8.jpg

450df4ef00.jpg

well... it doesn't need to have working wheels, KSP doesn't move the rockets from the VAB... a static VAB that looks like it's able to move itself (yet static) would be cool enough

btw, that Brazilian flag gave me an idea, what if the VAB had the option to have custom flags in it, like parts and the pole at the launchpad?

Thanks!

This is great material and help.

I think I am needing significantly more distance from VAB to launchpad!

A Building on wheels will be tricky unless its a game object.

Will you be adding this to the actual new zealand in real solar system?

Does RSS support Kerbal Konstructs? Could be fun to play around with.

It would be best placed in Southern Australia like the real life inspiration :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.