Mods and Unity 5

LadyAthena

I was thinking today as I usually do when I play KSP... God. I can't wait until Unity 5 gets here... unlimited mods! the hype!

But then something came across my mind I never thought of.... Aren't all the mods going to have to be completely re done as well from the ground up? Not the usual small little tweaks to fix incompatibilities with patches, but completely re vamped by the mod makers?

Most, if not all mods, will have to be changed/recompiled. I'm not a proper Unity coder so I don't know the differences between 4 and 5, but I'll bet you the API has changed, and KSP will have to change with it in some ways.

It's a bit like asking if Einstein instead of Newton, does that mean sofas are more comfortable than bean-bags.

The whole point of an operating system or software engine is that it shields you from the awful machine below:

In ancient times (1960s, sort of): machine change = every application change

Classic Era (70s - 80s): machine change = OS change (-> maybe application changes, to take advantage of the new capabilities) (-> maybe macro (mod) changes, if such a thing exists)

Windows, oddly being The Dark Ages (1980s - 2000s): machine change -> (Lalala, not listening. I Killed Jeb and I'm not learning nothing new. When I change, you can) -> well, yeah, make the most of what the OS lets you do. (-> maybe macro changes)

Middle Earth (2000s - 2010): machine change ->

... ME APPLE, ME PRETTY, YOU PAY! No, I'm Windows, stay with me or I'll kill Jeb! Oh heh, Linux and his family know how the machine works!

...-> engine (Unity amongst others) change as they have to/can for all of the above -> One Application To Rule Them All (-> maybe mod changes?)

Engine-ering (sort of now): machine change -> (some sort of OS then, I suppose) -> YOUR ENGINE? I HAVE YOU NOW, LITTLE ONE! (-> Toto, I don't think we're working for the machine any more) (-> maybe mod changes)

NB: No operating systems were hurt in making this post. The universe is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple and payment will be extracted in blood on my death, or possibly as a cause of it. Disney has 10% of every poisoned apple, but will sue if you mention it. Or them. Or Mickey Mouse. Which would be the end of me, if it weren't for Apple still trying to find a buyer for bad blood. Microsoft would like to apologise for Windows but a) can't stop laughing long enough, B) can't quite see what they have to apologise for, c) might have done already but everyone stopped listening because Apple bought the universe. Then locked it.

Linux users may, of course, do exactly as they want. That's sort of the point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.