[WIP] [1.1.2] DIRECT - Super-Heavy Launchers - REVAMP RELEASE

benjee10

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE

I have been waiting for a Jupiter launcher mod since I found out about it! Definitely subbing for this!

Btw, you said you wanted it massive... may I suggest a scale similar to Chaka Monkey, which is 75%? The core stage would be 6.3 in diameter and the orion pod 3.75, keeping it all in scale :)

If you're talking CryoEngines-based densities they're really REALLY lean. (more than 10:1 LH2/LOx as compared to 6.03:1 for the SSME). Also from what I've been reading stock fuels (as opposed to being dense to the point of a MethaLOx back in 0.23 / 0.25 are now more akin to storables like MMH/NTO) so I'm not sure how accurate you're going to get using stock or CryoEngines since Oxidizer is so far off compared to LOx.

Pretty much that. Apologies for the empty quoting.

As I said before the main payload will be the centrifuge and parts of the transfer vehicle, as well as sending a bunch of habitats directly to any planet you want pretty well. But you would likely be able to launch any of the parts (maybe except for the centrifuge purely due to its size) on smaller rockets. The rocket design is cool and I want to see it in KSP. If it doesn't work out right it doesn't work out right and I'll make it a separate part of the mod. The main focus is on the smaller LVs to begin with anyway.

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE

I have been waiting for a Jupiter launcher mod since I found out about it! Definitely subbing for this!

Btw, you said you wanted it massive... may I suggest a scale similar to Chaka Monkey, which is 75%? The core stage would be 6.3 in diameter and the orion pod 3.75, keeping it all in scale :)

I think I'm going to stick with 5m and 7m cores since those are standard sizes (KW and Behemoth Aerospace already use them) just to keep stuff compatible :)

SWEET JESUS

Is that launching an entire Copernicus MTV in one go?!

If you're talking CryoEngines-based densities they're really REALLY lean. (more than 10:1 LH2/LOx as compared to 6.03:1 for the SSME). Also from what I've been reading stock fuels (as opposed to being dense to the point of a MethaLOx back in 0.23 / 0.25 are now more akin to storables like MMH/NTO) so I'm not sure how accurate you're going to get using stock or CryoEngines since Oxidizer is so far off compared to LOx.

I think it's more about getting something that's balanced rather than accurate or realistic with this sort of scale of launcher for stock. I'll probably do an RSS/RO config once it's all done (though I don't usually play with them)

You want a big rocket to be powerful but not be able to deliver a Saturn V to Eeloo. We'll see how that goes...

I think I'm going to stick with 5m and 7m cores since those are standard sizes (KW and Behemoth Aerospace already use them) just to keep stuff compatible :)

No problem, can count on me to download it :D

but I will definitively make a MM patch to scale it up :P

deliver a Saturn V to Eeloo

hmmm......

If you can't find a good reason to use 7.5m launch vehicles then you need to step up your game.

Try a manned land and return on one of the OPM planets with TAC life support. Even that Jupiter V wouldn't be enough to do it in one launch.

I'm currently doing just that. I'm working with a Chaka 6.5m ejection stage with 9km/s Dv. Then a 7.5 FASA Nova sustainer stage and 6x Chaka SLS SRBs to put that in orbit.

And that's just for the surface habitation module the kerbals need to stay in until the return window. I've yet to even begin construction of the ship that will carry the crew to and from.

I could put these parts to work immediately.

Edited by Motokid600

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.