[1.3] Procedural Wings

Crzyrndm

On 12/13/2017 at 3:50 AM, Garlik said:

Hi all. I am using this mod (or a forked version of it for RSS/RO for KSP 1.2.2) and I am looking for a way to increase the maximum length (and maybe other parameters) of these procedural wings.
I am trying to do a replica of the B-52, but the max length I have is 16m, while the B-52 wings are IIRC close to 25m length.
Anyone knows how to allow bigger sizes?

I suspect you're looking for sharedBaseLengthLimits in WingProcedural.cs. You'll need to recompile the .dll, and I'm not sure if changing the max size will break anything else.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:50 AM, Garlik said:

I could 'glue' two wings together, but... that never looks as good and create some weeker joints (even with KJR)

If you get things lined up right, it looks perfectly fine in my opinion. I never had issues with multi-part wings falling apart, either, but maybe I'm not pushing my planes as hard as you are.

Yes thank you @awang. After posting this, I also found the 'sharedBaseLengthLimits'.
Temporarly stoped my B-52 + X-15 project in RSS/RO, came back to rockets in the waiting time
When I get back to it, I think I indeed will finally read-up on how to re-compile mods for KSP :)

On 11/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, chaoseclipse01 said:

I'm having some minor issues with these wings. For whatever reason, KJR doesn't seem to work on this mod, so even small three meter wings flop around like wet noodles, and even when using rigid attach and auto-strut, I find my wings getting sheared off at around 1km/s and 20km altitude. The other annoying issue I'm experiencing is when I'm making wings, if I try to add another PWing on one I've already attached to my vessel, I only get one chance to edit the second wing and then I can't edit it again. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mod a couple of times and my problems persist. I tried looking through the thread and I couldn't find anyone else having any similar issues.

Hello, i am having the exact same problem, KJR installed too. i am making very large wings and the wings flop like noodles and collide with various parts. i`ve added lots struts but the large surface produces so much lift they get ripped off at 150m/s and just 2g. i had moderate success when i made the wing very heavy. i know the design is highly unorthodox but the endcap pwing makes for a great fuselage, the b9 too...any help is greatly appreciated. https://imgur.com/gallery/lUsDI

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎06 at 11:53 PM, chaoseclipse01 said:

I'm having some minor issues with these wings. For whatever reason, KJR doesn't seem to work on this mod, so even small three meter wings flop around like wet noodles, and even when using rigid attach and auto-strut, I find my wings getting sheared off at around 1km/s and 20km altitude. The other annoying issue I'm experiencing is when I'm making wings, if I try to add another PWing on one I've already attached to my vessel, I only get one chance to edit the second wing and then I can't edit it again. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mod a couple of times and my problems persist. I tried looking through the thread and I couldn't find anyone else having any similar issues.

Did you ever resolve your issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen anyone bring it up yet, but the B9 PWings seem to have much less lifting ability compared to the stock wing parts in FAR. Even with identical wing shapes and thickness, aircraft that could maintain energy in a turn now experience heavy stalling with B9 Pwings. I have no idea why that might be.

8 hours ago, kcs123 said:

It was reported before too. Check out craft weight. B9PW weights more than comparable stock parts.

If you're responding to me, that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, replacing the stock wings with B9PW actually shaved off a full tonne of mass:

https://imgur.com/a/ocXQo

That's actually including missiles too, so it seems to actually be closer to 1.5 tonnes lighter with B9PWings.

Edited by JollyGreenGI

7 hours ago, JollyGreenGI said:

If you're responding to me, that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, replacing the stock wings with B9PW actually shaved off a full tonne of mass:

https://imgur.com/a/ocXQo

That's actually including missiles too, so it seems to actually be closer to 1.5 tonnes lighter with B9PWings.

You should check COM shifting then. Just few cm can make a big difference in craft behaviour. Other user reported few weeks ago similar issue, but was not using FAR and there was significant difference in weight that caused issue. It is hard to tell what is happeneing in your case without FAR AoA diagrams and stability derivatives screenshots.

I'm using FAR with B9PW for a while in KSP 1.3.1. and I didn't noticed anything that would cause craft to behave different than expected. I have also turned on all of debug messages to be able to notice any kind of error. Didn't have any NaNs error or similar on screen or in log. Have couple of harmless (I suppose) messages regarding textures of some parts not related to B9PW, but I didn't noticed anything wrong with those textures either.

So, it can be that you might not have installed something properly or some other mod interfere with B9PW and cause to not work properly. Anyone else can also only speculate what is going on without log files, screenshots and reproducing steps how to recreate bug, if it is bug and not some kind of oversight in craft design. It also can help to reproduce same issue with minimum number of mods installed and then add mod one by one until you found mod that breaks things. In more than 90% of reported issues it is some kind of mistake trough install procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is an issue for others, but for me, "deploy" directions are mismatched for mirror-symmetry procedural control surfaces (one goes up while the other goes down). B9 fork 40.13, KSP 1.3.1.

However, this version of B9 procedural wings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YgFT-r-pCpkrViWtXP7rWdyZhcNfGlCk/view does not have the deploy direction problem. Instead, though, it has a texture issue where control surfaces appear to have been rotated around a midpoint rather than mirrored (when placed in mirror symmetry).

Is there any way of combining the features of each so that the textures are mirrored correctly on control surfaces AND mirrored control surfaces "deploy" in the same direction? (The texturing can be fixed in the editor by applying the same texture to the top  & bottom of the control surfaces, but it would be nice if the textures just worked automagically, of course.)

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

There is several B9 thread, so I can't recall where it is posted, but just few days ago someone also reported same issue. I was not having same issue and reason for this seems to be FAR. I got FAR installed and have no mirroring issue, while other player with stock aero have same issue. Something in FAR fix somehow bug with mirroring. Probably it also influence IR mod too, as I was able to see when tried to import old IR craft file in KSP 1.3.1.

Hope that this helps a bit as seems that noone taken over PW development after  Crzyrndm anounced that he no longer have interest and enough free time for future updates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quick one for you guys here! are Procedural Dynamics' Wings and B9 Procedural Wings mutually exclusive, or is it fine to have both mods installed? I am looking at Procedural Dynamics Wings to create aerodynamic fuselages.

Edited by hypervelocity

On 1/24/2018 at 5:02 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Not sure if this is an issue for others, but for me, "deploy" directions are mismatched for mirror-symmetry procedural control surfaces (one goes up while the other goes down). B9 fork 40.13, KSP 1.3.1.

However, this version of B9 procedural wings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YgFT-r-pCpkrViWtXP7rWdyZhcNfGlCk/view does not have the deploy direction problem. Instead, though, it has a texture issue where control surfaces appear to have been rotated around a midpoint rather than mirrored (when placed in mirror symmetry).

Is there any way of combining the features of each so that the textures are mirrored correctly on control surfaces AND mirrored control surfaces "deploy" in the same direction? (The texturing can be fixed in the editor by applying the same texture to the top  & bottom of the control surfaces, but it would be nice if the textures just worked automagically, of course.)

For anyone else that was having this symmetry/deploy problem, the solution was to use PartWizard to reconfigure symmetry. When looking at B9 control surfaces in PartWizard, they weren't "grouped" (not sure what PW is referring to) - hitting ungroup / break symmetry in PW causes them to get together in a group again, after which mirrored control surfaces will again deploy in the right direction (both down or both up, i.e.).

14 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

For anyone else that was having this symmetry/deploy problem, the solution was to use PartWizard to reconfigure symmetry. When looking at B9 control surfaces in PartWizard, they weren't "grouped" (not sure what PW is referring to) - hitting ungroup / break symmetry in PW causes them to get together in a group again, after which mirrored control surfaces will again deploy in the right direction (both down or both up, i.e.).

Nice to know that you found proper solution for issue and notified others about it.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, MightyDarkStar said:

B9 PWings do not work with 1.4.

That is understandable because it use it's own custom textures shaders. Pretty much each mod that have some custom texture/shader is broken for KSP 1.4 while other might work just fine.
Have to be patient until someone that is able and with enough free time to recompile it.

15 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

That is understandable because it use it's own custom textures shaders.

Exactly! While the underlying code is perfectly fine (did a quick recompile to confirm) the world breaks loose upon selecting and placing a wing part in the editor and it's because of the incompatible shaders.

Now the question is: who has the original .shader files so that a re-export of the asset bundle is possible?

35 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Now the question is: who has the original .shader files so that a re-export of the asset bundle is possible?

IIRC, @Van Disaster have made latest shaders used on B9PW, but can't tell for sure and can't tell if he got all necessary files for this.

1 hour ago, Gabriel0070 said:

You will make for 1.3.1 or 1.4 ? (pls i love this mod :P)

Have a patience. Original author is on hiatus regarding maintenance of mod for longer period of time. Someone with more skills regarding shaders need to do recompile stuff. Or tell how to do it, as simple recompile of source code is not enough.

Within this community there is quite a lot of talented people, someone will take a torch for maintenance of mod, just give it some more time. It's quite popular mod, so I'm not in doubt that someone will update this at some point.

Hey, I remember have more precise controls for the wing parameters when last using this mod, I believe mouseover + J brought up a menu. Can anyone confirm if this is still a feature in this mod or if I have this completely backwards?

Edited by Arcanejack
typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.