[1.3] Procedural Wings

Crzyrndm

On 9/11/2018 at 7:55 AM, mindseyemodels said:

ikr they should just update the game in a way that DOESNT break the mods

That's very hard to do, especially concerning some changes to fix bugs and introduce improvements.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:16 AM, eberkain said:

They could just stop updating the game at this point and I'd be good. 

There are many ways KSP could be improved.  Some of them have been present yet never properly addressed since I started playing it back in KSP 0.23.  Some of them are very hard if not impossible to address in mods.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:48 AM, mindseyemodels said:

would it be possible to give this mod to another creator who will do something with it or to update procedural parts to 1.3?

You should skim the last page or 3 of a mod to get a feel for its current condition.  If you'd looked at the last page, you'd see 5 posts above yours that @Jebman82 has forked this mod and currently supporting his fork.  And he posted a link to his topic on his fork.

• 8 months later...

If you miss (like me) procedural wings that are not B9 ones, but Procedural Dynamics, or whatever it was called, here's dll recompiled for 1.6.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJpwino56ecoLHVavTm36vnwBouaRHkV/view?usp=sharing

(Install 1.3.1 version and copy the dll over the old one)

If there's still an interest for this mod, I can make "continued" thread and do a proper re-release. 

Edited by whale_2

It works. Somehow. I still try to find out how to make the control surface fit into the cutout shape of the wing.
(the corners of the attaching side are always 90° so when the wing shape makes the cutout not having 90° corners it's a mess)

On 6/18/2019 at 7:32 AM, whale_2 said:

If you miss (like me) procedural wings that are not B9 ones, but Procedural Dynamics, or whatever it was called, here's dll recompiled for 1.6.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJpwino56ecoLHVavTm36vnwBouaRHkV/view?usp=sharing

If there's still an interest for this mod, I can make "continued" thread and do a proper re-release. 

plz

On 6/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, Gordon Dry said:

It works. Somehow. I still try to find out how to make the control surface fit into the cutout shape of the wing.
(the corners of the attaching side are always 90° so when the wing shape makes the cutout not having 90° corners it's a mess)

Yes, those are issues with this wing types. That was reason why I have eventualy switched to B9 variants. Though, using sliders on B9PW can be clumsy to use sometimes as well, I found those that are easier to use for find tuning exact shape and attachment of control surfaces on main wing.

Maybe to look in B9PW code what method is used to "snap" control surfaces on main wing to match exact proper angle ?

1 hour ago, KSP dogfight master said:

B9 is nice but its heavy af

Not too bad, considering it supposed to be wings for spacecrafts, with ability to sustain high temperatures on re-entry and in flight over 2 machs. I almost exlusevly use FAR, so it is possible to reduce weight with wing strength/weight ratio that FAR provide.

However, yes, if you want to use them for subsonic crafts, those weight too much. I was considering to create another B9PW parts that would weight less but without high temperature capacity. I tis possible to do that with MM patches, but for public usage it would require some new texture style. I have no skill to change textures in apropriate way for game usage.

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Not too bad, considering it supposed to be wings for spacecrafts, with ability to sustain high temperatures on re-entry and in flight over 2 machs. I almost exlusevly use FAR, so it is possible to reduce weight with wing strength/weight ratio that FAR provide.

However, yes, if you want to use them for subsonic crafts, those weight too much. I was considering to create another B9PW parts that would weight less but without high temperature capacity. I tis possible to do that with MM patches, but for public usage it would require some new texture style. I have no skill to change textures in apropriate way for game usage.

yea, i make realistic and very competitive(functional) fighterjets, Procedural Dynamics used to be perfect but not in 1.7, the hitpoints are super unstable (sometimes even 0 hitpoint) so the enemy can destroy my wing with a single gun shot

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 2:32 AM, whale_2 said:

Can you recompile for 1.7.3, please. This are best procedural wings and i use them always...

It's a pity that on both mods it's impossible to save the actual shape as a preset, althought there is a button for it.

And if it would be possible, then not only one preset that is always overwritten would be highly appreciated.
A list with named presets would be the best.
If the presets are config files in a PluginData folder they could be archived, shared etc.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

A list with named presets would be the best.
If the presets are config files in a PluginData folder they could be archived, shared etc.

I think you can save it as subassembly.

@whale_2 I considered that, but it's not very comfortable. Build a vessel, shape a fitting wing or fin and drag it into a growing list of subassemblies. Not sure about the memory hog when the list grows. But the positive fact is that there is a visual representation in the subassemblies list.* (ofc a UI of the mod could also provide a preview ... and create issues)

* I was dreaming about that, but it still does not show previews in subassemblies

Edited by Gordon Dry

Unless you are creating very, very similar craft, you would probably want to change wing shape after placing it on craft. I used to create subassemblies in the past, but in last day, I just re-create wings from scratch.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IIRC from the conversations in the past, B9PW are made heavier intentionally, for gamebalance reasons. B9PW were meant to be used for space planes, with much better heating resistance (simulating active cooling) than ordinary wings to survive re-entry.

It was odd at first, but I quickly adopted new UI to create B9PW and it was easier for me to create exact shape as I wanted than I was able to do with older version of PW.
I would like to see lighter version of B9PW for createing ordinary planes, with less heat resistance that are not meant to be used for space planes, but have same UI system to create exact wing shape for various crafts. It is planed to have solar powered B9PW, but as always, moders have limited time to work on their mods, so, have to be patient to see any new feature.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.