[1.3] Procedural Wings

Crzyrndm

amazed this still works after all this time. with some cfg edits it can be use to create almost anything and combined with procedural parts, well, the possibilities are endless i put it to use making this ship. editing the textures can also yield very interesting results.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 2:20 PM, beaucoupzero said:

amazed this still works after all this time. with some cfg edits it can be use to create almost anything and combined with procedural parts, well, the possibilities are endless i put it to use making this ship. editing the textures can also yield very interesting results.

Please, can you tell me how do you do those transparent procedural wings? You told me they were E3 parts? I don´t find that and they seem to be procedural wings instead. Please point me to some links!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too think its amazing and wonderful that this still works. 

Doubt: it is clear to me that larger wings generate more lift. But thicker wings, as in Real Life, will generate more lift at the expense of more drag, withing the same wing area? Or the game does not compute that?

On 5/16/2020 at 2:59 AM, Daniel Prates said:

I too think its amazing and wonderful that this still works. 

Doubt: it is clear to me that larger wings generate more lift. But thicker wings, as in Real Life, will generate more lift at the expense of more drag, withing the same wing area? Or the game does not compute that?

FAR should account for this. Stock game - seems like not. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, beaucoupzero said:

cfg edits

Do you do anything to fix the drag on the pWings? I've tried to build a few things in your style and while I'm happy with the design the drag on the wings always hurts. If I use the pWing as a panel it forces the aerodynamic forces to the inside and not down the piece like a normal wing. Thanks love your designs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:13 PM, reducing said:

Do you do anything to fix the drag on the pWings? I've tried to build a few things in your style and while I'm happy with the design the drag on the wings always hurts. If I use the pWing as a panel it forces the aerodynamic forces to the inside and not down the piece like a normal wing. Thanks love your designs.

Yes! edit the cfgs and change drag and lift to 0, this will alleviate your problem somewhat however any angled pwing u use is  drag inducing.  imo the best way to use these is this: use rather op engines (kspie or tweakscaled stuff), use a counterweight at the front of the craft, u will need this for autostruts to latch on and will enable you to play with the geometry more since the more detailed your pwing based cockpits are the more the COL will move to the front. Also double your control surfaces (place them one on top of each other) this will help alot with control when operating your pwing craft.  Add nose cones inside of your craft this will certainly reduce some of the drag, fairings work even better but are difficult to use i had success with Procedural Parts nose cones as well. Keep in mind symmetry is very important if u leave a wing/panel angled u have to compensate for that with a pwing angled in the opposite direction or u will end up with huge aero issues such as ur crafts having a clear tendency to nose down or up. Another important thing, sometimes, some pwings crafts will promptly explode on the runway, if they do it is worth reverting to launch sometimes that fixes it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.