[1.3] Procedural Wings

Crzyrndm

I made a model with transparency but discovered adding the module to the .cfg does not make it work. So I imported the example wing into Unity ... let me guess, Unity 4.6x gives problems because the transformation is actually a form of animation so I need 4.22? I'll try on my desktop when I get home, got 4.22 installed there.

With 1.0.5, it really makes sense to increase "maxTemp" to 2400-2700.

They all default at 1700K - at this temp stuff explodes even on shallow-cobra style (typical) SSTO re-entry, PWings become super useless for anything "space".  This is an easy .cfg text editor change, but I thought I should mention this.

Edit: forgot to mention - they work beautifully with default aerodynamics.

Edited by Kerbal101

^^ Max Temps fixed on github ready for whenever next release is

Also, the github version now gives the wings fuel carrying capabilities. The major advantage over the B9 version (currently. I intend to port this improvement to B9 as well once its tested) is the configurability. All tank setups come from a cfg instead of being hardcoded (want a LqdHydrogen wing? Just add a LqdHydrogen tank). Just note that the fuel carrying is still in testing, I only just got to the point of launching to the runway with fuel :D (and carrying capacity is extremely dubiously calculated atm...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

2 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

Also, the github version now gives the wings fuel carrying capabilities. The major advantage over the B9 version (currently. I intend to port this improvement to B9 as well once its tested) is the configurability. All tank setups come from a cfg instead of being hardcoded (want a LqdHydrogen wing? Just add a LqdHydrogen tank). Just note that the fuel carrying is still in testing, I only just got to the point of launching to the runway with fuel :D (and carrying capacity is extremely dubiously calculated atm...)

Thats Awesome!
"Release early, release often?" Pretty please... =)

14 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

I came here just for this.

Isn't fuel capacity just a % of an estimated volume?

That would be the capacity. Except KSP fuels don't have an explicit units => volume conversion, the cfg density was wrong, and I'd used the wrong variable for wing thickness when I posted that (rubbish in => rubbish out...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Next update will be breaking craft. Some aspects of how root/tip size were handled were rather error prone so the method is being simplified. Craft will break because originally root/tip scale went from -1 and increased, and now runs from 0. Fixing crafts is a simple matter of adding 1 to all values in (tip/root)scale parameters saved in craft files

This applies to any version from github from the time of this post

EDIT

Testing version. Hopefully not ending up on CKAN (wings carrying fuel most obvious change)

Edited by Crzyrndm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crzyrndm and Taniwha, I love this mod. You have my eternal gratitude. As with most mod authors, I expect your main reason for maintaining this mod that you both enjoy it at least as much as I do, but it's always good to express and receive appreciation. Beside reducing part count and letting people make much more aesthetically pleasing aircraft, this mod has been as important for me as FAR for modeling supermaneuverability; there are aircraft designs which are not only tedious but physically impossible to create using stock parts. When it comes to the balance between maneuverability and aerodynamic stability, tiny variations in wing and control surface size are the difference between safely buzzing the VAB at mach 2 and stalling out during takeoff.

Now, a quick question which actually hasn't been answered here: is the "mass" parameter in the .cfg files for these crafts the unit mass for these parts? By that I mean; if I double this parameter in the config file, will the mass of a pWing of a given size be doubled, or is the parameter just a placeholder? I've read the .CFG documentation wiki page and have some experience modding Civilization, but I don't have any actual coding experience, so I don't know where to look to find out how you define the final mass of a pWing.

Thank you!

- an aerodynamics enthusiast

Placeholder. The actual wing mass under stock is is defined based on its lifting capabilities which is derived from lifting surface area (should probably add a little fudge in there for thickness, may not be accounted for atm). FAR does its own wing mass calculations and has a tweakable slider for wing strength which increases mass and the forces required for aerodynamic failures

If you want to tweak mass further, your best bet is the unpackaged github version which allows you to add resources to the wings. If you just want a mass teakable, add the ablator resource and you can change the carried quantity to increase mass.

Edited by Crzyrndm

Minor-ish Bug report on the .11 Test release.

as I shrink my wingtips they get significantly Thicker... to the point I have a WALL for the air to climb over.  The Root of the wings are ridiculously thin  It is as if Roots and Tips got flopped around.   Since my birds still fly and I am partial to the Republic F-91 Thunderceptor I am OK with this but it makes it hard to put wingtip ailerons on and have them work effectively.  Also the wings break off at much lower speeds/G maneuvers with this release... I can't S-Turn to bleed off extra Orbital speed (Direct Approach from Mun for example.)  This was on a Fresh install of 1.05 but with many other mods, I will submit the list of them if you need it later.

Make sure you aren't moving towards the top/bottom of the wing or have the camera directly overhead. If you're looking at it from directly above, the thickness scaling gets all sorts of funny ideas so I normally try to position the camera mostly end on to get the best control over it. I have some ideas about how to make the root/tip scaling easier to use, but for now you mostly just have to be a little careful with the camera position

Edited by Crzyrndm

15 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

Make sure you aren't moving towards the top/bottom of the wing or have the camera directly overhead. If you're looking at it from directly above, the thickness scaling gets all sorts of funny ideas so I normally try to position the camera mostly end on to get the best control over it. I have some ideas about how to make the root/tip scaling easier to use, but for now you mostly just have to be a little careful with the camera position

My issue might be a borked install or a Mod conflict then.  The only configurable options I have with the 11 test is fuel capacity and tank type.  I am re-dling the test release after submitting this note.

I do most of my profile editing from a rear quartering angle.  I do not know if this will matter.    I am also noticing if I place the wing on the RIGHT side I have less issues than if I place it on the LEFT side.

After the re install of PRC 11 for ProcWings, the weird super thick wing tips I was getting has disappeared.  I still notice a distinct difference in ease of editing the Pwings depending if I attach to the LEFT or RIGHT fuselage side.    I think one of my other mods is overwriting Pwings as I still do not have any editor adjustments in the Right click menus.   Still trying to track down which mod it is.

I haven't played much in awhile and as I've started messing with the wings again, I may have run into a small issue. 

It seems that I am unable to alter the dimensions of the rounded wing tips. I noted that I couldn't alter the thickness of the wing with the latest patch (although I ran into this issue with that release as well) so I am using Ver 10.1. Now, it doesn't crash, so I don't know if there is a log associated to post. (If there is, where would I find it?) 

I would like to thank you for your time and effort in keeping this mod around. It's definitely a must have for me. Thank you again for your help in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2016 at 5:38 PM, Crzyrndm said:

There will be no public releases of any of my mods until after 1.1 is actually released. There may be some github activity when I get around to working on things but any of that will all be at user risk. I'm not going to try supporting something that is listed as being "frequently updated" (still haven't decided whether I will bother with the pre-release at all...)

Post-release, I will be pushing hard to get updates out, just not before

Testing versions may start surfacing on github this weekend depending on how busy I am and how much breakage is present but ^^ is my official modding stance currently

Edited by Crzyrndm

1 hour ago, Crzyrndm said:

Testing versions may start surfacing on github this weekend depending on how busy I am and how much breakage is present but ^^ is my official modding stance currently

Very much looking forward to this! I downloaded the current GitHub files (seeing as they're recent) but I guess they don't work yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.