[1.3] Procedural Wings

Crzyrndm

Anyone else have some lag issues when editing wings in 0.40.7 ?

I see many messages in Debug log about rendering Drag Cubes and my CPU spikes like crazy. Went back to 0.40.6 and all is good.

Also want to say thanks for keeping this mod alive.

@OrganicLife No problem. Your issue with pwings is that you have a version which has the plugin .dll file twice. Delete the existing procedural dynamics folder in GameData and replace with the one from the GameData folder here

@gomker Unable to replicate the issue with either B9 Pwings (which is 0.40.7) or these PWings (which I should probably make an official release for 1.1.2...), logs, MM cache, etc. (and correct thread if we're actually discussing B9 PWings)

Edited by Crzyrndm

so I'm afraid to ask, but how many versions of this are there floating around? I see two in your sig alone, and there was a third I can't find at the moment, which I think was a fork of b9 with pieces of your work folded in? Anyway, I'll be grabbing this one - cheers!

3 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

so I'm afraid to ask, but how many versions of this are there floating around? I see two in your sig alone, and there was a third I can't find at the moment, which I think was a fork of b9 with pieces of your work folded in? Anyway, I'll be grabbing this one - cheers!

This iteration of Procedural Wings is a copy of the original PWings by DYJ.
The other iteration mentioned in the signature is B9 Procedural Wings, based off the work of Bac9.

And finally there's a fork of B9's Procedural Wings, which you mentioned.

On 16/05/2016 at 1:06 AM, Deimos Rast said:

Melfice is correct. The two links in my signature are separate mods, I just happen to be a current maintainer of both of them

Edited by Crzyrndm

This might seem like an odd question... But has anyone tried using  V0.11.0 in KSP 1.0.5?  But I've decided to play 1.0.5 while I wait for adjustable landing gear to be updated.....  Thank you for your help!

So I think it's the B9 Procedural Wings (current version is 0.40.7) that's part of the RO suite, correct?  Is there a separate forum for that (the B9 mod in particular, not the general RO thread)?  I'm having an issue where the mass of a wing is much greater in 1.1.2 than it was in 1.0.5.  Is this the right channel for this?

Edited by rsparkyc

@Crzyrndm: Yo, we've got a problem: the way that these pWings generate their meshes results in FAR not voxelizing symmetry counterparts properly; one of the counterparts ends up with triangles with opposite "handedness," so when FAR attempts to voxelize it thinks that their normal vectors are facing the opposite way, so those triangles end up filling voxels the wrong way.  I don't have an easy means to determine if the triangles are flipped or really an efficient way to handle that if I could, can you look into getting the triangles to have a consistent vertex ordering so this doesn't happen?

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:54 AM, CamaroFan73B said:

The commands are not working for me. I mouse over and hit b and it won't adjust at all, T won't work and the other won't work either. anyone got any advice? 1.1.2 version

I had this issue too. Be sure you have the most up to date version of MM. It should be version 2.6.24. (I see that 2.6.25 has been released yesterday). Otherwise, Crzyrndm will need the MM Cache file and the Output log.

Love this mod, great work ! Thank you for continuing the development.

I think I found a bug with this mod and FAR. As you can see in this image the "PWing - B9 SH" Part and the "PControlsurface - Mark 1" Part dont get recognized by FAR. The "PControlsurface - B9 SH" Part has the same problem.  All the other procedural wings work fine. Its not just the debug voxels, the analysis tool doesnt see the wings either (most of the values are red) , and a plane that i built had did not lift off when using the B9 SH part. When i exchanged the wings for the sp+ version the plance flew fine. I noticed that the CoL does change if you add and remove wings however.

I tested this on a fresh ksp install , 64 bit , with only FAR and Procedural Wings installed (and their dependencies on ckan) . Here are the output log and the MM Cache. (for creating the first picture)

I hope this is the right place to report about this, Im new to this forum :)

Both appear to be caused by the FAR geometry overrides (that were being used for reasons I can't recall now...). Removing that file appears to fix the issue in my test install (but I don't particularly feel like removing it without knowing what it was required for...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

git log says it:

commit 4ddfe20e0996ab488b5964f2232e964e6da6b90d
Author: Bill Currie <[email protected]>
Date:   Sat May 16 14:09:41 2015 +0900

Force FAR to use the colliders for geometry.

I'm not sure this is required now that FAR checks skinned meshes too, but
    it does work nicely.

I guess it stopped working nicely :(

And to think I just spent the last hour or two making it so I could hack the model to be cleaner (eg, remove the 1/100 scaling). Still, might be worthwhile, and the tool definitely will be.

Crzyrndm: "git blame" can quite useful (though I distinctly remembered doing the change, so I didn't need it), and I try to be reasonably informative with my log messages :)

bah, even more editing: the control surfaces that give me problems have no such override.

Also, it turns out that git blame isn't so useful this time.

even more editing: ok, found it: sledgehammer approach via mm wildcards.

Edited by taniwha

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

though the wings aren't as nicely voxelized (symmetry)

A different symmetry issue to the fat wing syndrome that was being caused by the -ve mirror scaling (the line I removed in the last commit since neither stock or FAR support it)? I can't find any mirroring issues with that gone

Edited by Crzyrndm

It might be caused by the wings having been placed back in KSP 0.24. I plan on going through all the part transforms in the .craft file cleaning up the coordinates. However, one wing definitely looks different to the other with debug voxels turned on.

whats the difference between Procedural Wings and B9 Procedural wings? From what I understand they're totally separate but near identical mods.

You might want to highlight the differences or make things clearer on the front page, also a new screenshot might be in order :P

11 hours ago, Bloojay said:

whats the difference between Procedural Wings and B9 Procedural wings? From what I understand they're totally separate but near identical mods.

You might want to highlight the differences or make things clearer on the front page, also a new screenshot might be in order :P

Answered on second page of this thread. Athough, PW from this thread can also be fueled.

PW does not have separate GUI for customization of size, it is just to hold specific key for base, length or tip and drag mouse. You can make a huge wing just from one part.

B9PW on the other hand have limited size in length, thicknes, and width, but have special GUI that allows you to be even more precise in wing shape customization.
I used both type in the past, but for some reason, I found B9PW suit better for my craft design styles.

I can only recommend to try both and then deceide what serves better for your crafts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.