Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

I'll add that for next tournament. Do you think it should be a wing limit, or just a general, no wing spamming rule?

I kind of like the idea of imposing an arbitrarily difficult restriction on wings like...

• No more than four controllable aero surfaces (as well as no rcs, reaction wheels)
  • Cannot use more than one of any given wing part

Or, we could make this into an unpowered glider fight and have the planes start from launch clamps edited to 5000m or something. This would punish designs that bleed off speed to make insanely tight turns.

I kind of like the idea of imposing an arbitrarily difficult restriction on wings like...

• No more than four controllable aero surfaces (as well as no rcs, reaction wheels)
  • Cannot use more than one of any given wing part

Or, we could make this into an unpowered glider fight and have the planes start from launch clamps edited to 5000m or something. This would punish designs that bleed off speed to make insanely tight turns.

That's a bit much of a change in my opinion. What I'd prefer (if it's even possible) is a restriction on wing area based on total mass or something. But we'll see what the judges decide :)

Edited by Slam_Jones

I don't like the no rcs rule. What is the point? It isn't op in atmosphere, and to stop wing spam you could also say no more than 2 true wings( largest surface area vs control surfaces, which have moving parts. If the wing can move individually it must be locked).

I don't like the no rcs rule. What is the point? It isn't op in atmosphere, and to stop wing spam you could also say no more than 2 true wings( largest surface area vs control surfaces, which have moving parts. If the wing can move individually it must be locked).

Gonna post my reply at the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129182-Gauging-interest-stock-BD-Armory-dogfighters-AI-tournament?p=2119639#post2119639 "Gauging Interest" thread in order to keep this thread a little less cluttered :)

^^ Kenny Loggins: Danger Zone :P

Other than that, Rise Against has a lot of good, steady songs. "Endgame" and "Siren Song of the Counter-Culture" are my two favorite albums by them, they both have some really good songs.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Would love to be part of this. I got some 1v1 already

cb_co Combat Aircraft

And the AI doesn't fly my Gundam yet, but that's the next goal. I know Mods aren't allowed, but I could replace all the mechanics and pretty much just have a statue. Here's me piloting it vs my F-22.

Edited by clown_baby

Hey ummm, Pixel or RocketTurtle, can we drop the point value of the vulcan hidden to the same as the vulcan turret. This will stop the GAU8 from being a better alternative to both.

Are there any functional diffrences between the vulcan turret and vulcan hidden (besides the range of motion)? I had just assumed the vulcan hidden was the same gun, just with 0.1t less mass and zero degrees of freedom.

Are there any functional diffrences between the vulcan turret and vulcan hidden (besides the range of motion)? I had just assumed the vulcan hidden was the same gun, just with 0.1t less mass and zero degrees of freedom.

I'm presuming there's slightly more drag, but I've not noticed that makes much difference (must read up on 'drag cubes' in stock aero). It might in FAR.

I´m really interesed in this thread, and I will likely take part in the next competition.

A suggestion: You could demand that each submitted craft has an AG (let´s say 1 f.e.) that activates Guard Mode, AI pilot and engine. Then you wouldn´t have to fiddle around with the right click menus and could start the matches more quickly and equally. Because as far as I could see the plane that starts first can engage first and has an important advantage IMO. Such an AG would fix that problem.

I also think that file editing (like setting scan interval to 0.1) should be forbidden as it gives your fighter advantages that can´t be archieved by engineering but file editing only.

Just my thoughts on some topics here, I hope to have lots of fun with this thread in the future :).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.