Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

A sad day for SlamTek as both jets lose their battles.

On the bright side, I added two mini-badges (one for running out of fuel, one for winning a battle) thanks to Kerdinand :D They're terribly difficult to read, but decorative nonetheless.

Also, I would not oppose giving guns a small gimbal range, as suggested before. Missing 100% of machine gun fire is a bit steep.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Feellimg good that my heat wave discovered something😛

Just realized that if I want to win the tourney, I must a beat your GoldenHawk again...and a few other plane that are probably going to murder my plane like the GoldenHawk did. Now I hope the GoldenHawk wins the next match so that I have a better chance of getting into the final stage and can get the lieutenant badge. That's good enough for me

I've run some tests with vulcan turrets set to limited range (1 to 2 degrees in each axis). Cannon fire has become noticeably more effective; dogfights tend to last about 4 minutes or so until a wing or engine is shot off.

That's exactly how I was running my own tests, by giving the .50cal Turrets the absolute minimum of traverse to correct the fact the AI is incapable of leading it's shots properly.

Except for my Bomber of course, he actually uses the turrets as intended, to cover a defensive cone to the rear of the aircraft.

I will repeatedly insist that RNG and vector changes are needed for dodging missiles. Guns will aim properly when we use turrets with a gimbal limit.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, GDJ, you have a 75% chance of making it into the finals!

Round 16 - Realized missile timing problem after the tourny started but amazingly didn't expect 3 rounds of same pattern would happen. That CF-86 is a miracle.

Round 19 - Looks like leaving max alt on default is a karma on first round. Lesson for everyone. :)

Congrats to the winners, i can't wait to watch the finales :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.