Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

I'm not sure what you're on about. Your plane was eliminated from the tournament, are you talking about future constructions for another tournament?

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. Yeah, next tournament.

No matches tonight on account of attending my young cousin's birthday party. I'm debating whether or not to carry on to the next round or wait for six more planes to be submitted, for fear that the next six submissions will be tailor made to kill the first finalist.

Well, please relay my best birthday wishes to your cousin!

What I'm thinking is to use sepratrons to lift me straight up to altitude while accelerating forward with a jet. When the other planes are up to altitude, my plane will already be firing missiles. Not sure will it work, but I think it's worth a try.

- - - Updated - - -

And now I need to think of a way to defend myself from similar designs

No sepratrons needed, jet engines work. Sadly, the nerf the Wheesley engine got made VTOLs non-viable - it lacks the thrust to lift anything much, and a turbofan won't fit in the mk2 cargo bay without falling foul of our clipping rules.

No sepratrons needed, jet engines work. Sadly, the nerf the Wheesley engine got made VTOLs non-viable - it lacks the thrust to lift anything much, and a turbofan won't fit in the mk2 cargo bay without falling foul of our clipping rules.

Sepratrons would be better. The AI doesn't understand VTOL flight so having your vertical engine run out of fuel is actually a good thing. A normal VTOL engine is heavy which would slow the plane down, and it would definitely throw it off balance.

Sepratrons would be better. The AI doesn't understand VTOL flight so having your vertical engine run out of fuel is actually a good thing. A normal VTOL engine is heavy which would slow the plane down, and it would definitely throw it off balance.

There is a way to shut off the engines using the normal AI behaviour. Designing VTOLs isn't easy for exactly the reason it needs to be balanced in both modes. The challenge is why it's fun to make them.

If you see my discussion thread, I've proposed a VTOL Top Gun AI variant to pit VTOLs against each other.

colmo, I now understand how you felt after you lost to the GoldenHawk. I am very sorry about my interpretation of the rules as they were, and I sincerely retrospectively apologize.

Apology accepted. I didn't care about losing, it was the way it went against the original vision of the concept, which was as a design contest, modelled on the real world, rather than the limits of the KSP aero.

I have posted a concept of a no-holds barred version that does the latter (now that we have mod nukes, it could be hilarious...). A Wacky Races if you will. My Death Zeppelin will rule you all...

I'm still testing designs against older fails, it's fun. About the most indestructible thing I've managed to build so far is a twin engined AWACS with nose and rear 20mm guided guns. That thing will just pootle along at 115m/s, it turns like a spitfire and owns the sky.

EDIT: I just beat it with a twin-gun variation on a Su-37 Berkut (only two missiles, fuselage-slung AIM-9s both of which missed). Forward swept wings for ultimate manoeuverability! Gonna tune the fighter and if entries are still open for standard aero, might enter it.

EDIT #2: I found out why the missiles missed. They didn't fire. The planes simply dropped them. Switched them out for AMRAAMs and things are fine.

screenshot136.png

So here's my idea. I want to throw down a challenge for anyone to take on FIVE of these with any SINGLE aircraft. I'm actually just about to throw an AWACS at them to see what happens. It might end up being 10.

Edited by ihtoit

I'm still testing designs against older fails, it's fun. About the most indestructible thing I've managed to build so far is a twin engined AWACS with nose and rear 20mm guided guns. That thing will just pootle along at 115m/s, it turns like a spitfire and owns the sky.

EDIT: I just beat it with a twin-gun variation on a Su-37 Berkut (only two missiles, fuselage-slung AIM-9s both of which missed). Forward swept wings for ultimate manoeuverability! Gonna tune the fighter and if entries are still open for standard aero, might enter it.

EDIT #2: I found out why the missiles missed. They didn't fire. The planes simply dropped them. Switched them out for AMRAAMs and things are fine.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RIkqNO1gI84/VfwL7rlj7yI/AAAAAAAAEaA/9IQ7oLUpz7Y/w962-h541-no/screenshot136.png

So here's my idea. I want to throw down a challenge for anyone to take on FIVE of these with any SINGLE aircraft. I'm actually just about to throw an AWACS at them to see what happens. It might end up being 10.

is there any requirements as to the plane to fight them, a giant cargo plane with seawiz's strapped on would be pretty good at that.

the Goalkeeper CIWS has a hell of a kick on it. I've had it on a thousand ton space station as point defence (rather than the laser), and it made the whole thing flip. I'd hate to think what it'll do on a much lighter aircraft.

the Goalkeeper CIWS has a hell of a kick on it. I've had it on a thousand ton space station as point defence (rather than the laser), and it made the whole thing flip. I'd hate to think what it'll do on a much lighter aircraft.

The plane I am thinking of weighs 130 tons, and has 8 PAC 3s as secondary weapons. Also it has 8 ECM jammers.

What happened to the tournament a lot of planes never partook. Also whoever wanted 10 v 1. screenshot1531fobhg.png it can also be equipped with multiple 30 mm ciws guns. Last time I tested it was during 0.90. May need to visit it again.

Edited by gag09

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.