Suggested Visual Enhancements for 4K monitor and high end computer

Fat Gordy

Hi All,

I own a 4K monitor and a very high end computer and I'm having some difficulties locating visual mods that can put my rig to the test and really blow me away. I've installed the latest EVE and Astronomers Visual Pack V2. I've also found a new skybox texture because the stock one looks really bad in 4K. But I'm still not impressed. I'm sure these mods look great in HD, but in 4K they are just not spectacular. The clouds look just so-so and the skybox texture I'm using (Oinker) is nice but is not pin-point beautiful as it should be on a 4K.

Any suggestions? I've spent about an hour looking around and trying different things but no luck so far.

Thanks!

First of all, understand if you are running Windows you are capped at 4gb or ram right now (without hacks that cause problems anyway).

In addition to what you have, there is PlanetShine, Cool Rockets, Hot Rockets, Engine Lighting, Texture Replacer, and Distant Object Enhancement.

Some people like Scatterer, personally I like Kerbin to be Kerbin, not Dagobah and I don't want the entire planet covered in a giant sheet of fog.

EDIT: Upon closer examination, the author may have improved the "constant fog" effect in those screenshots, not sure. I'll have to try it again.

EDIT2: Nope, still too foggy and still a bit too buggy for my tastes.

Personal opinion, get rid of AVP Interstellar and install AVP Edge of Oblivion (older version). Why? I think it took a turn for the worse as far as Kerbin is concerned, and lets face it you spend most of your time looking at Kerbin.

J1jrksH.jpg

E9D90B616D176CC64F07C1449C22AE8E5BED89E0

Earth

Edited by Alshain

As KSP loads all it's textures on launch, you're going to have to deal with the lower textures until the U5 update come out and you can use all of your RAM. (In case you didn't know, KSP is very RAM limited. It can only use 4 gigs because it is a 32 bit program. The U5 update will change the program to 64 but, allowing you to use the full extent of your computer's specs Apparently this has not been confirmed?) This means that when loading huge textures (planet textures, clouds, etc) the game gets close to crashing. If you're not experiencing performance hits or crashes, then you are part of a lucky few.

Here are some screenshots from pingopete of RVE (EVE) and Scatterer.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's worth mentioning Endraxial's Planet Textures for TextureReplacer and Avera9eJoe's cloud pack for EVE. Also be sure to check out Proot's KSPRC if you haven't already.

Good luck!

P.S. I would love to see some screenshots!

Edited by SmallFatFetus

The U5 update will change the program to 64 but, allowing you to use the full extent of your computer's specs)

Please stop spreading that rumor. We do not know that 1.1 will have the 64-bit version at this time. Squad would like it to, but there are no guarantees.

Hi All,

I own a 4K monitor and a very high end computer and I'm having some difficulties locating visual mods that can put my rig to the test and really blow me away. I've installed the latest EVE and Astronomers Visual Pack V2. I've also found a new skybox texture because the stock one looks really bad in 4K. But I'm still not impressed. I'm sure these mods look great in HD, but in 4K they are just not spectacular. The clouds look just so-so and the skybox texture I'm using (Oinker) is nice but is not pin-point beautiful as it should be on a 4K.

Any suggestions? I've spent about an hour looking around and trying different things but no luck so far.

Thanks!

There's not much you can do mate. KSP will never be a good game to show off your system. The visual mods help a lot at any resolution but even at higher resolution they will always look so-so compared to modern 'graphic centric' games.

On my decent system the visual mods make almost no difference to the FPS. Any newer GPU will not be taxed by KSP. And the game is severely limited by the single core physics.

If you want to show off the system buy the new witcher game or GTA IV or BF4 or something like that.

I definitely suggest looking up WindowShine and AVG's cloud pack in my signatures. That cloudpack is the most detailed pack for old EVE to this date. And if you like textures to match a bit more you can click on SPPCC too ;).

Anyhoo, I suggest PlanetShine, KSPRC workaround, Scatterer (if your game doesn't crash too much), a custom skybox and Endraxial's planet conversions (Both in TextureReplacer), and possibly HotRockets too. I hope you get something beautiful when your searching is done!

Personal opinion, get rid of AVP Interstellar and install AVP Edge of Oblivion (older version). Why? I think it took a turn for the worse as far as Kerbin is concerned, and lets face it you spend most of your time looking at Kerbin.

Great advice, thanks! The clouds on Edge of Oblivion look great! Ok, maybe the graphics don't look so bad in 4K. I'm a little bit impressed. 4K with 8x AA and a new skybox looks pretty decent.

A76YD5V.jpg

Edited by Fat Gordy
fix picture

Installing scatterer will make that even prettier.

Also, LOOK AT THE LITTLE NAVBALL! IT'S SO TINY!

Which brings up an excellent point. Enhanced Navball will let you resize it. Stock has the ability to resize the entire GUI though you can't resize the NavBall independently that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.