Sea Dragon Stockalike

Bioman222

The Sea Dragon was an idea for... well...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK0M2QRWwAAkoQf.jpg

...yeah, and appears to be the most 'Kerbal' rocket design after good 'ol Project Orion. So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making it.

There was one person who made one before, but it was for 0.24.2, so yeah.

I'd love to see a Kerbalized Sea Dragon

I'd be willing to model and texture a seadragon. Ive been looking for a cool project to contribute to the community but Im a noob when it comes to unity and getting models and textures into game. Definitely not new to modeling and texturing though. I guess it could either be a scaled down version, or if its possible somehow it would be cool to do it to scale, but no way would that fit in VAB and I'm not sure how youd launch it from sea instead of the pad. so in a nutshell id need a lot of help getting it to work in game, getting the seperate stages to be stageable, and have the engines working and all that. (360MN seems like it would hit the speed of light in kerbal scale lol) If there's someone with the technical knowlege of all that stuff thats willing to collab with me, I'm up for it, otherwise id be reading and troubleshooting for weeks lol. I prefer realistic textures and models, but if people would prefer one that fits to kerbals aesthetic then that would be easier of course. Just throwing it out there to see if an experienced modder is interested, would definitely be cool to have a rocket that size that launches from sea.

I could get it through unity after you model it. I just need a tutorial on the engines... I just need to figure out the particle emitters. I could also do the configs.

Looks like it might be a parts only mod in which case it might still work. If not it might be fixable with some ModuleManager patches. You should put it in a test game and try it!

Have you seen http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121017-WIP-Convair-NEXUS-super-heavy-Earth-Launch-Vehicle

I did try it on my sandbox game. Results? It was loaded like a breeze for the game, but when you attempt to build it in an editor its attachment points only work when you start orienting them upside down. Even then, you can't put the first stage together. I did manage to build the second stage, and it produces little to no thrust when activated.

The backward nodes is common in older parts - since 1.0 KSP pays attention to orientation. You can revert to the old behavior by bringing up the debug menu (Alt-F12) and checking "ignore node orientation" or something along those lines (last check box) under Debug tab I think. Just did a quick install in a test folder and was able to get it into space (no cargo) with plenty of fuel left over. That said the nodes are way to small for the size of this thing - joint stiffness has something to do with node size and mass. Could do with a remake (Occams/Cliftonm) and update for 1.0+.

Edited by wasml

I did try it on my sandbox game. Results? It was loaded like a breeze for the game, but when you attempt to build it in an editor its attachment points only work when you start orienting them upside down. Even then, you can't put the first stage together. I did manage to build the second stage, and it produces little to no thrust when activated.

They worked pretty well for me. Just hold Alt when attaching the TVC engines and their fairings. To attach anything to the bottom of the engines and tanks, you just need to change the 5th number on the node_stack_bottom from 1 to -1 in the .cfg files. Alternatively, you can enable "ignore node orientation" (or something like that) from the Alt-F12 "cheats" menu, and they will be able to attach the correct way.

- - - Updated - - -

The backward nodes is common in older parts - since 1.0 KSP pays attention to orientation. You can revert to the old behavior by bringing up the debug menu (F12) and checking "ignore node orientation" or something along those lines (last check box) under Debug tab I think. Just did a quick install in a test folder and was able to get it into space (no cargo) with plenty of fuel left over. That said the nodes are way to small for the size of this thing - joint stiffness has something to do with node size and mass. Could do with a remake (Occams/Cliftonm) and update for 1.0+.

The nodes are size 3, they just look small on the huge tanks:). Will nodes larger than 3 increase the strength?

@lurkoholic: Yes your correct - Alt-F12 - corrected - thanks. As far as node sizes I've seen multiple references to node size being connected to joint strength in my wanderings around the forum. Just found one - NoMrBond stated that node size had an impact on joint strength as of the ARM update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.